Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well storm have also put out a msg on twitter saying a player is locked in

Would be surprised if it just Storm just making Cam Smith official

I do really hope it’s Tino though
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:18 am Well storm have also put out a msg on twitter saying a player is locked in

Would be surprised if it just Storm just making Cam Smith official

I do really hope it’s Tino though
It's Paps......which I thought we already knew ??

In other news...yourhero was on the money last night...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 7725433e60
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Paps re-signing is a big deal but the uncertainty of what's actually going on with the squad has put a bit of a damper on it for me.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So confirmed by the club;
- Curtis to Canberra
- Brodie to Brisbane
- JAC staying

I would like to believe JAC staying was his choice, but I am not that naive.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:24 pm So confirmed by the club;
- Curtis to Canberra
- Brodie to Brisbane
- JAC staying

Yeah ...his remaining 2 year contract would have made a difference.

Interesting choice of words in the article..."Melbourne Storm has confirmed star Josh Addo-Carr will suit up in purple in 2020, contrary to speculation the winger wanted an early release and return to Sydney"....no mention of 2021.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

- Curtis to Canberra
- Brodie to Brisbane
- JAC staying

So would this be minimum $800k pa out of the salary cap ?

Is the blood letting over ?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

According to the Storm piece on letting the two go this was all about being cap compliant for next season.

A bad look for the club to tap a club legend on the shoulder and then a month later let the player who they replaced him with in the finals walk as well.That he's going to the Raiders isn't ideal either.

I really don't understand how the club let it get to this point. But at least we have Ryley Jacks to get excited about.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:18 pm According to the Storm piece on letting the two go this was all about being cap compliant for next season.

A bad look for the club to tap a club legend on the shoulder and then a month later let the player who they replaced him with in the finals walk as well.That he's going to the Raiders isn't ideal either.

I really don't understand how the club let it get to this point. But at least we have Ryley Jacks to get excited about.
Drinkwater and Scott in the space of 6 months....such a waste to have these guys in our system and then just let them walk.

I don't criticise the Club much...but both of these player losses have been a major lima lima lima duck up
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The article did mention that we would be making some further re-signing and recruiting announcements before Christmas. Better be good!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m not all doom and gloom like most Storm supporters on social media... Croft and Scott has ample opportunity and proved that they weren’t the best fit. Both cost us games, we’re not consistent and kicked stones when dropped. I support them being moved on. Chambers was WELL done also.

The only things I am disappointed in are;
1. JAC wanting out of his contract/threatening the club unless he gets an upgrade.
2. How we have gotten ourselves into such a salary cap mess with Cronk and Slater finishing up in the past two years, plus offloading Chambers who was reportedly on $700K.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Unless we've actually recruited someone for a change
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Scott is pretty decent when healthy but I’m more “doom and gloom” over the situation than I am being mad at who we’ve let go. Our depth and talent at both spots is pretty bare right now though.
Stormhunter
Squall
Squall

Apart from the unknown centre, we have current rep players 1 to 17, really strong forward depth and 3 places on our roster to yet to name. And cap space. I don't see too much weeping and gnashing of teeth for the guys that have left (as opposed to, say, Tohu...personally I'm still gnashing ) so maybe we're okay. Might be looking for two new wingers come 2021 though...
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

- Curtis to Canberra
- Brodie to Brisbane
- JAC staying

[/quot

Weidler is a hack based on the tripe he has historically passed off as journalism.....but clearly this story has some legs...

Addo-Carr isn't foxing about wanting a move back to Sydney

Josh Addo-Carr was made a promise when he signed with the Storm that he liked the sound of: the club was about family first. It's why he is giving serious consideration to walking away from the final two years of his contract there.

Sources who know Addo-Carr well say he is at a point where he wants to put family before everything else. If you think it sounds like the situation that Latrell Mitchell is facing on the family front, you are right. Mitchell is expecting his second child. Addo-Carr has had a change in his personal life.
Josh Addo-Carr has told Storm he is staying.

Josh Addo-Carr has told Storm he is staying.Credit:Getty Images

Without going into the details, Addo-Carr recently got custody of his five-year-old daughter. His partner, who is from Sydney, is pregnant. The pair have no family in Melbourne. His family is from Sydney and he is determined to bring his kids up around family.

The Storm sat down with Addo-Carr and his agent, Chris Orr, in Sydney on Friday.

"They confirmed their position around his contract and their desire for him to stay and extend,'' Orr said. "Josh spoke openly about his feelings on a number of things. He is not due back [at club training] until the middle of December."

Did they talk about Addo-Carr's family situation? "He certainly spoke about his family and feelings around that," Orr said.

The Storm went public to try and shut the story down, using quite emotive language, something we don't associate with the club.

"Where the talk is coming from, I'm not sure, but I can say hand on heart Josh is committed to Storm as much as we're committed to Josh," chief executive Dave Donaghy said.

Addo Carr is not committed to the club. He is committed to his family. He doesn't have a deal in place to move on.

While there are denials, the Tigers could be home once again. The Tigers have said they are not chasing him, because he is contracted to the Storm.

Addo-Carr clearly wants a change. Should he be given that opportunity, Sydney clubs will start looking at how they can fit him in. He is also good friends with Mitchell. It's difficult to know if any club could snare the pair.

Mitchell has seen his reputation trashed by critics and former greats, but he believes his ability will see him through and he will land a good deal with another club. The thing that has irked him is that he feels he was used up by the Cowboys. Mitchell's tour of Townsville resulted in a request from Valentine Holmes to be released by the New York Jets in the NFL. That didn't go unnoticed. The Cowboys say their interest was genuine.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Just been thinking with all the (I'd like to say comings and) goings, I wonder how much, if any, of the continual negative NSW press has a bearing upon players decision making to up stumps and move on.

Is there something else going on behind the scenes that we're quite naturally, not privy to? Certainly seems to be way more movement (and grumblings?) than I can remember in the past.