Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would love to see Duffie back and playing great footy however I can't help but feel he might be done.

With the exception of Chambers and Sisa, our outside back stocks lack a power running game. For that reason alone the investment in Mahe needs to continue. We get our sets on a roll when Mahe is in the team. Sure, there are some loose carries that need to be addressed and I am not convinced he is a winger but we need his barnstorming runs. Put him at centre and work on defensive decision making.

Matulino would be a massive signing. I don't think he will be in our price range unfortunately. Some of the poorer performing clubs will/should offer some pretty big bucks and rightfully so.

Key issues to work on over the off-season;

1. Line speed in defence. When we come up quickly, our defence looks solid. When we sit on our heels and wait for the ball runner to come to us, we get rolled and the edges open up like a tin can.

2. Quick play the balls. Don't just let the opposition lay on top of you for 4-5 seconds and then slowly get to your feet (I'm looking at you O'Neill!). Fight. Kick. Struggle. Get up and play it as fast as humanly possible. Our forwards are getting dominated for a number of reasons, one of which is opposition defensive lines being given every opportunity to get back onside.

3. Tackle in numbers. We play the most compressed defensive line in the competition and still opposition teams are getting into one-on-one contests in the middle of the park. It is almost as if we are playing compressed but then hedging our bets by getting ready to slide on every play. This opens up our usually rock solid centre. On the few sets in recent weeks where our line speed has been good and we have hit the attacking player with numbers, we inevitably drive them back and force a slow play the ball.

4. Start sets strong. Like most teams these days, our outside backs take the first couple of hit-ups when we have received a clearing kick. The problem is we aren't making a dent in the oppositions defensive line. O'Neill runs sideways most of the time (as does Slater) and neither look likely to poke their head through. Fonua would help here. Other teams have big outside backs that can bend the line. Look at Newcastle for example. All of their back five can do it, but particulary their centres + Uate pick up 30m+ to start every set.
Last edited by yourhero on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Spot on. ^^^^

I think O'Neill needs to put on a few KG's if he wants to stay in the team. He's probably been our most disappointing player this year, just hasn't gone on like we'd hoped and he's been lucky injuries around him have kept his spot safe. Not sure if Mahe's ready but he definitely has improved this year.

I think the main thing heading into next season is we need to be more aggressive, both with and without the ball. I want big athletes on the field hurting the opposing sides.

I feel we will regret re-signing Norrie going by his performances this season.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:I think O'Neill needs to put on a few KG's if he wants to stay in the team. He's probably been our most disappointing player this year, just hasn't gone on like we'd hoped and he's been lucky injuries around him have kept his spot safe. Not sure if Mahe's ready but he definitely has improved this year.

I think the main thing heading into next season is we need to be more aggressive, both with and without the ball. I want big athletes on the field hurting the opposing sides.
Yeah, exactly mate. Even if O'Neill lost a touch of pace because of the extra muscle mass, he needs it to get involved in the hard stuff. So much potential but needs to progress his game beyond pace and brilliant aerial ability if he wants to go to that next level.

We really looked like we just lacked that aggression and passion in the second half of this year. I don't know what it is... Maybe an extended Origin hangover? I am not convinced of that. As we have mentioned our go forward has been the major issue. Maybe a lack of passion after winning last year? Again, not convinced of that either. Whilst I have no idea what things are like at training and behind the scenes, it appears on field at least as if the hardwork and commitment just aren't there as they have been in the past. The little 1%ers we have built a reputation on were suddenly not prevalent across our team.

Fingers crossed Bellamy makes some changes to get us right for 2014. Much of the same will result in much of the same.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Good signing to add punch to our pack. Very happy
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My feelings on it are meh atm. Only good thing about it is it's only for 1 season. If he doesn't lose weight and work hard in the offseason we shouldn't be seeing him in purple.

Would have preferred to chase younger props and give our younger guys a spot.

I'd like it more if we didn't re-sign Norrie.
Monsoon
Monsoon

I thought Justin O'Neill was just about our best player in our 2 finals series losses, he just needs to get more involved, no doubt he will be our first choice winger in 2014. I dont get why everyone is ganging up on him, Sisa Waqa in both the Souths and Knights games was HORRENDOUS. I'll go as far to say that if we had someone who could catch a bomb like duff playing there we win atleast one if not both those games. It wasnt just his shocking hands under the high ball, Sisa's timing was way off when rushing in which is usually spot on, and he is just too unpredictable, there was a moment in the knights game where he got grabbed around the boots about 5 metres out from our own line and instead of getting low or conceding he stood there with the ball in one hand like it was a tennis ball which gave the knights time to get in afew more players and force him back ingoal, he also will never let a ball bounce even if its beneficial. I sometimes feel like he doesnt get the basic concept of rugby league, like after that drop when Houston scored before half time where was he? He didnt show any urgency to get back and atone for his error, he just stood there like a stunned mullet and they scored a simple try down his channel, he has improved no doubt since his debut, but i'd be putting Duff straight back in if fit, but thats a big IF, i doubt Duffie will ever be the player he could have been after his shocking injury run.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 I think you are being harsh on Sisa. He was very good for us this year. Unfortunately like the Storm he saved his worst performances for the last two or three weeks. After the Manly game he was moved from the right wing to the left wing I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

As for the incident where he was pushed back into the in goal, I think he may have thought he was tackled in the air and was waiting for a penalty. He should have played to the whistle but didn't.

As for Duffie you have a short memory. Did he suffer his shoulder and knee injuries in the NRL? No they were in the NSW Cup because he offered a saloon passage to the try line v Broncos particularly to Josh Hoffman.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not sure what O'Neill did to be our best player in our 2 finals games.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Justin Morgan Offically joins our coaching staff just announced via twtter
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Mattpoet wrote:how long have we signed you for lol?

I will be around for A LONGGGGGGGGGGG TIME..I
offered Storm a good deal to keep me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Kalifa Faifai Loa has got a release from the Cows. Would certainly offer him a contract.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote:Justin Morgan Offically joins our coaching staff just announced via twtter
Outstanding. Very good coach who achieved overs with a side without the pulling power of Whinos, Stains and the Pie Eaters. Plenty of experience
I'm very happy to have him in purple.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This has PISSED ME OFF MASSIVELY - Alex Covo gone to the broncos
http://m.broncos.com.au/news-display/Br ... oach/85059