Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Stormhunter
Squall
Squall

Reimis Smith(27) and Meaney(27) are probably next 2 that we look at re extensions. OOC end of next year.

Reimis looks happy enough to stay. I sure hope he does.

I think NM will attract a bit of interest given how well he's playing and might leave for a spot in a starting 13. Long term here he probably plays off the bench given how well Warbrick has come on.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 2:32 pm Katoa re-signs until end of 2027.

Hoping to be back playing in 2-3 weeks, good to finally get a bit of an update there.
This is great news. It had been worrying that we had not heard an update for weeks and with him listed as “indefinite “- especially with the eye being such a sensitive area. So it was great to see the interview with him today . He seems a very nice and humble man.

I think he is definitely in our best 17 and probably our starting 13 ( moving Trent to the bench ).
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Stormhunter wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:48 pm Reimis Smith(27) and Meaney(27) are probably next 2 that we look at re extensions. OOC end of next year.

I think NM will attract a bit of interest given how well he's playing and might leave for a spot in a starting 13. Long term here he probably plays off the bench given how well Warbrick has come on.
Do you think Nick could play left centre once Paps returns to full back ? Maybe it would need a full off-season to learn the position, but it is clear first that Nick is a very handy and reliable first - grader , secondly that Justin Olam has been struggling since his injury , and thirdly (with the greatest respect ) that the other options at left centre are workmanlike at best … unless Will Warbrick can switch over to left centre and Nick goes to right wing .
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:10 pm
Stormhunter wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:48 pm Reimis Smith(27) and Meaney(27) are probably next 2 that we look at re extensions. OOC end of next year.

Do you think Nick could play left centre once Paps returns to full back ? Maybe it would need a full off-season to learn the position, but it is clear first that Nick is a very handy and reliable first - grader , secondly that Justin Olam has been struggling since his injury , and thirdly (with the greatest respect ) that the other options at left centre are workmanlike at best … unless Will Warbrick can switch over to left centre and Nick goes to right wing .
Our Centre options/replacements are very reserve grade (sorry but it's true)...so I really hope that the Club targets a good quality centre OR that Nick/Will can make a transition if required because tbh, I think we MIGHT have seen the best of Jussy
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Agreed SS. His contract (as well as Howarth's) really are the elephants in the room. He has another 3(!!!) years after this one. Hopefully a long and uninterrupted off-season helps, but tbh he is looking old. I know he isn't, but he's playing like a 34yo.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The four year extension for Olam was crazy at the time. The club clearly misread Olam's player type.

Reimis only being 26 is crazy because it feels like he's been around forever. Keeping him for a couple more seasons should be obvious but I'm not sure we can stay status quo at centre moving forward.

Happy Katoa has found a home with us. He's our most threatening forward and would be even better without his clumsy errors.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:37 am The four year extension for Olam was crazy at the time. The club clearly misread Olam's player type.

Reimis only being 26 is crazy because it feels like he's been around forever. Keeping him for a couple more seasons should be obvious but I'm not sure we can stay status quo at centre moving forward.

Happy Katoa has found a home with us. He's our most threatening forward and would be even better without his clumsy errors.
I reckon the club will eventually use Olam as the back up centre.....effectively replacing guys like Young T and Grant A in QCup.

The FG team will need a better centre option to partner Reimis if the club is serious about winning another premiership anytime soon.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently we want to keep Sims around for another season.

Booooooooo
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's a bit late for April fools
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Must be a desperate sign of lack of other options and/or little funds available. Our roster certainly doesn't excite me currently, especially with the drop or lack of consistency in form of most of our 'stars' this year.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I wonder if Faitala-Mariner is worth a look. At this stage of his career (29 going 30) they either chase a payday or one last crack at a Premiership.

If he came cheap could be a shrewd signing. Adds some experience and leadership. Would give some punch off the bench too, which we need. I'd take him over Sims, that's for sure.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:50 am I wonder if Faitala-Mariner is worth a look. At this stage of his career (29 going 30) they either chase a payday or one last crack at a Premiership.

If he came cheap could be a shrewd signing. Adds some experience and leadership. Would give some punch off the bench too, which we need. I'd take him over Sims, that's for sure.
From the story.....he allegedly complained about being trained too hard by Ciraldo and was disappointed being moved from an edge to the middle.

Exactly the kind of attitude that Storm does not need in a player.

Storm players have always sacrificed for the team...and love the training grind.

Probably why the Club is in some sort of malaise right now....that Storm attitude seems to have declined sadly..
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

There has been some discussion about a lack of depth at centre. I was really impressed with Solomona Faatape in today's Queensland Cup. In attack he ran for 222 metres, 1 line break, 3 line break assists, 3 tackle breaks, 1 try assist and 3 offloads.

Although, in defence he missed 5 tackles, so he will have to work on that.

He is 22 and did pre-season with the Storm, for those who have seen more of him, what would your thoughts be about the Storm signing him?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Should bloody give a contract to Max Lehman …that man can score a bloody try
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:43 pm Should bloody give a contract to Max Lehman …that man can score a bloody try
He played well today.