Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:11 pm This is most unfortunate... Dave wouldn't have put in an application if he didn't want the job. I wonder why he wants to leave? Money/a chance to achieve success elsewhere/bolster the resume?
He didn’t put in for it...they’ve head hunted him...given him a contract without even asking

It’s his to say no too

Kinda sad for someone like Ben ikin who did put in for it
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

yourhero wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:11 pm This is most unfortunate... Dave wouldn't have put in an application if he didn't want the job. I wonder why he wants to leave? Money/a chance to achieve success elsewhere/bolster the resume?
Maybe he has found "isolating" in QLD to his liking?
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bullucked wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:51 pm
Dave is originally from Queensland and previously worked for the Brisbane Lions.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:47 pm
Dave is originally from Queensland and previously worked for the Brisbane Lions.
Me thinks it may be TTFN
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So I did a bit of digging Dave’s wife left her position at a top Melbourne career company very recently and started her own business at the start of this month I’m not sure what that says about Dave leaving but I can only assume if she has no ties down here they wouldn’t have to come back
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:47 pm
He was at the Lions after the Storm. I interned for him at Brisbane in 2011 in the Lions' media department. Spoke to him a bit about working Bellamy and asked him whether he thought Melbourne would take it out that year to which he replied: "Oh, mate - they'll absolutely get it in" or something along those lines. He said he was having dinner with Bellamy at some point during this period.

Really savvy guy and someone who had a lot of success early in his career as a journalist and media advisor. He worked at the Herald Sun before all of this (I believe) and covered a few Storm games early on. He went on to be a media man at the Storm and was actually a big part of the club in that famous press conference in 2010 when the team walked out together during the salary cap debacle. Some of his work with the Storm is covered in the book Storm Clouds.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Nice summary riders
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Riders thanks for the insight. Yes, Dave used to write articles of Storm games for the Herald Sun prior to his first stint at the Storm.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

NRL Tonight reporting Jordan Rapana being chased by Storm in a deal to release Fox to Wests.

Hmm. Rapana is 31 . Not a fair replacement . Can play ( better on attack than defence ) , but surely is stop gap at best.
Pole
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Tristan Sailor apparently been released, don't know if he is on the Storm's radar but I would take him.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The list of NRL quality wingers that are available is so unappealing. If we're still so intent on trading JAC for another player get one of another position of need and just go searching for a wing in the QCup. We can develop one of them into the next best wingers in the comp
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

RobbieRoss wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:31 pm NRL Tonight reporting Jordan Rapana being chased by Storm in a deal to release Fox to Wests.

Hmm. Rapana is 31 . Not a fair replacement . Can play ( better on attack than defence ) , but surely is stop gap at best.
Everything is a stop gap solution to be honest. If you have guys coming off contract every two or three years, there is no guarantee they will stick around. Just because you sign a 21 year old winger, invest in him, develop him over three years to get him to the point that he is an NRL quality winger, he could up and sign for the Roosters as soon as his first contract is up.

The same logic applies to Brandon Smith, Harry Grant and the rest of the squad.
Bullucked
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Maybe think of it as a Rapana for Suli swap, not much in it! Rocks and diamonds.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

RobbieRoss wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:31 pm NRL Tonight reporting Jordan Rapana being chased by Storm in a deal to release Fox to Wests.

I don't mind the idea of Rapana. Yes, he's getting on, but remember that at best we only have Addo-Carr for another year anyway as he would surely head back to Sydney the moment his contract expires at the end of 2021. I think he'd go really well in our system.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Reports suggesting that the Broncos are trying to get Bellamy AGAIN. This time on a 5 year, $5M Coaching Director role.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Broncos Board meetings;

"So, new ideas guys, what do we do to improve?"

"OK, a revolutionary idea... something we don't come up with every year... We buy Craig Bellamy, Cameron Smith, Frank Ponissi and Dave Donaghy"

"I love it, make it happen"