Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

bula wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:55 pm Now apparently Tino has signed a $670k for four years deal with the Warriors. Confirmation yet to come on if it’s immediately or after next season.

What the bloody hell is going on!

I’m not a big fan of him so far but I know everyone else it so how did we let this happen!
If true...it's $ 2.7 million over 4 years for a guy who's played 5 NRL games. Spare me ::) ::)

I'm lima lima lima duck glad we didn't enter that bidding war....it would have set the Club back 10 years....
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:07 pmIf true...it's $ 2.7 million over 4 years for a guy who's played 5 NRL games. Spare me ::) ::)

I'm *lima lima lima duck* glad we didn't enter that bidding war....it would have set the Club back 10 years....
Agreed. If he gets that money based purely on potential, good on him. Best of luck with the career. Nothing we can do about this one.

Just the Warriors doing Warriors things ::)

Hopefully that potential isn't thrown down the drain but tbh, I don't have high hopes of the Warriors getting the best out of him. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't finish that deal and lands in Rugby somewhere.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:16 pm You're right. He is signed until the end of 2021.

I would still advocate holding him to his contract. Which we are apparently doing, so good to hear that.
Well the Foxx is at training today.....but for how long ?

If it's just a battle of wills....I 'd take Craig 100/100....

Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

If we've signed Cam for one more year but it costs us Scott, Chambers, Croft, JAC, Drinkwater and now Tino as much as it sucks to do so, we must now ask if it's worth it.

I can cop 3 of those but 6??? It's officially out of hand.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

You can't blame the Smith re-signing for this, surely??? The club (rightly) won't match insane offers for young talent.

Scott, Croft and Chambers were moved on due to form issues (predominantly). Drinkwater wanted an easy route to first grade. JAC wants a big pay day despite being in contract and the Warriors through the kitchen sink at a guy who has barely played FG.

It is disappointing to see so much turnover, but if you look at each case on its merits, what should the club have done differently?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:07 pm How?
I'm asking for trades to be allowed. Not literally trading him.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Completely ridiculous the NRL allows deals like this Tino one to happen. Will now be close to the highest paid forward at an NRL club off the back of 100 minutes of ok-ish football. He's a chance to be good but holy shit this isn't right.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Part of me does agree with yourhero, but one think I would like to see the club do differently is to tell us THE STORM SUPPORTERS the truth about these things before the scumbag NSW media does. But I am asking for a Christmas miracle here.

While asking for Christmas miracles, I would like to here a player so in the very near future I am staying a Melbourne because it is the best place to be and the best city to play Rugby League in. It will never happen but it is the season.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

yourhero wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:03 pm You can't blame the Smith re-signing for this, surely??? The club (rightly) won't match insane offers for young talent.

Scott, Croft and Chambers were moved on due to form issues (predominantly). Drinkwater wanted an easy route to first grade. JAC wants a big pay day despite being in contract and the Warriors through the kitchen sink at a guy who has barely played FG.

It is disappointing to see so much turnover, but if you look at each case on its merits, what should the club have done differently?
Scott was let go due to salary cap pressure. After letting Will go we weren't really in a position to be shedding another centre.

I'm not necessarily saying it's Cams fault either but the question is a fair one. We've lost a lot of young talent whilst keeping an old bloke for one more year.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:39 pm
yourhero wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:03 pm You can't blame the Smith re-signing for this, surely??? The club (rightly) won't match insane offers for young talent.

Scott was let go due to salary cap pressure. After letting Will go we weren't really in a position to be shedding another centre.

I'm not necessarily saying it's Cams fault either but the question is a fair one. We've lost a lot of young talent whilst keeping an old bloke for one more year.
Chambers was cooked.
Croft was underwhelming as a half back (I doubt he'll really ever make the grade)
Scott is a loss but he is a Shire boy at heart and was only ever really on "loan" for a while (plus I wouldn't be surprised if his foot is a long term issue)
Drinkwater is a loss but he wanted an easy ride (so what does that say about him really)...plus Pappy will be a very very good 1.
JAC biggest loss if he goes and a massive disappointment how he may end up treating the Club that has made him (let's hope it's all crap)
Tino...well lima lima lima duck me. ...I am GLAD we didn't pay nearly $700 k per season for a kid who might be good one day......but will be replaced by another big bloke that might be 65% as good as Tino in the long run but will cost only $200k a year.

So I'm with yourhero......what's the Club done wrong in REAL terms ?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:55 pm If we've signed Cam for one more year but it costs us Scott, Chambers, Croft, JAC, Drinkwater and now Tino as much as it sucks to do so, we must now ask if it's worth it.

I can cop 3 of those but 6??? It's officially out of hand.
Sorry but chambers was never gonna play first grade again so it’s no big loss
Drinkwater left way before any of this happened
Curtis has left cause his he was already mentally in Sydney with his family
Croft is selfish it’s better his gone
If JAC goes its cause of his new family situation not cause he hate the club

Just wait and see
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sallymay you are right with everything in the last post. But the thing I am most angry with and what people are upset by is, all those players had current contract and asked to be released. A contract should be honored.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

glennb wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:25 am Sallymay you are right with everything in the last post. But the thing I am most angry with and what people are upset by is, all those players had current contract and asked to be released. A contract should be honored.
Contracts don't mean anything in RL. I can't think of another professional sport where this many players change clubs despite being contracted to play. If the entire league isn't going to be honouring contracts then the NRL needs to bring in some form of trade protocol (as others on here have already mentioned).
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Tino dismissed the story as 'fake news' on his social media... doesn't mean that a signature isn't imminent though.
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well looks like Tino is gone. Meninga probably got in his ear at the Prime Ministers XIII.

Gold Coast and young men just has career suicide written all over it.