Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not sure why we needed to address speculation.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:55 pm Not sure why we needed to address speculation.
I guess so Scott isn’t sitting there questioning if we are gonna move him on.

Not that I am opposed to such a move. We certainly aren’t getting value on the $500K per year we are paying...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:04 pm
blazza18 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:55 pm Not sure why we needed to address speculation.
I guess so Scott isn’t sitting there questioning if we are gonna move him on.

Not that I am opposed to such a move. We certainly aren’t getting value on the $500K per year we are paying...
No doubt reassuring some players was the idea behind the statement.

Given Scott is the only centre signed past next season I'm a little surprised they've hushed this publicly. It's not something we do.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Yep, its definitely weird.
shorton
Squall
Squall

Apparently the Roosters are going to sign him. Of course they are
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Don't see why he'd want to go play NSW cup for the Roosters, but, u to him.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... b12b834734

Storm stave off $1.5M rivals as battle for teen monster Tino Fa’asuamaleaui begins
Simon Brunsdon
Fox Sports
August 5, 2019

Melbourne is moving fast to lock down 197-centimetre teen behemoth Tino Fa’asuamaleaui before rival clubs can pounce.

The 19-year-old wrecking ball forward has only played two NRL games, but is already attracting offers worth up to $1.5 million.

He’s currently contracted to the Storm until the end of the 2020 season, but other clubs are free to table offers from November 1.

Foxsports.com.au can reveal Melbourne has made Tino Fa’asuamaleaui a retention priority and is trying to secure the young star on a longer-term deal before November 1 arrives.

They’ve been negotiating with his Queensland-based manager Simon Mammino in an effort to strike a deal and stave off those rival offers.

The Storm view him as a future leader of their forward pack once the likes of Jesse Bromwich hang up the boots.

According to the club’s website Fa’asuamaleaui stands at 197 centimetres tall and tips the scales at 107 kilograms.

They have already lost Joe Stimson to Canterbury at season’s end, and likely Christian Welch won’t be playing for the club beyond 2019 either.

Fa’asuamaleaui will be eyeing a spot in the starting side in 2020 and his value could even increase.

He’s believed to be earning just $110,000 this season but that salary increases to $250,000 next year.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

According to the daily telegraph the panthers are interested in Welch
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Also rumour in the daily telegraph there is a current first grade half back being shopped around by his current club Wonder if it is Storm/Croft
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pretty sure it's Taylor/Titans
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Mattpoet wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:55 pm Pretty sure it's Taylor/Titans
I'm pretty sure it is too.
They are going to have to pay a hefty portion of his contract wherever he goes. He was never going to be worth a million a year - the Broncos identified early that he was a good frontrunner but goes to jelly under the slightest pressure.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Imagine being in a position where you have to pay $600K-$700K of your salary cap just to NOT have a player at your club. Ouch...
riders of the storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

glennb wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:50 pm Also rumour in the daily telegraph there is a current first grade half back being shopped around by his current club Wonder if it is Storm/Croft
There is a rumour it’s Croft but his manager has apparently denied it.

How would people in here feel about the Storm signing Ash Taylor anyway? I doubt it’d happen but he’d shine if Bellamy got him into shape.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why would Taylor leave the Titans he has a million dollar contract. If the sacked him, the Titans would still have to play a lot of that.

I do believe it Croft that is the halfback being shopped around. I don't understand why at Round 23 you start making changes to your spine. But I am not the coach and I have to have faith he knows what he is doing
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I’m not convinced Taylor is actually better than Croft.
Taylor doesn’t seem to have the mental toughness that’s required from a Storm player, halfback and star player

Brodie would be a good pickup for a number of clubs though. All three QLD clubs would probably be top of the list.