Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Didn't Kaufusi just re-sign not that long ago? Kinda strange that they're already looking at getting him to re-sign again. Although if it means he's staying long term then I'm not gunna complain. I do wanna see them re-sign Curtis Scott now tho, he's the one I'm waiting on
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/n ... t/3218318/

RUGBY LEAGUE: Matt Groat will depart the CQ Capras in bid to reignite his NRL career.

The boom prop forward - who was a revelation in his debut year at the club - will link with the Easts Tigers and spend the pre-season with the Melbourne Storm.

The opportunity to be under Craig Bellamy is a lure too appealing for the 25-year-old.

Groat returned from the rugby league wilderness when he signed for the Capras and his time at the club has paved the way forward.

While it is a loss both on and off-field, Capras can take pride in helping Groat's story of redemption.

He leaves a gaping hole in the Capras engine room.

"Even though he has been injured, Matt comes to every training session, he helps out on game day, he's an excellent mentor as well so it is definitely a blow," coach Kim Williams said.

"I'm disappointed and would love to have been able to keep him. Storm have that background of turning good players into great ones and that is his main motivation. We can take pride in knowing we have helped him.

"The quality of the player is sometimes secondary to being a good, dedicated professional and he ticks all the boxes. It is a great opportunity for him to show the Storm what he is made of and we wish him well."

Groat's departure adds to a sad player exodus from Browne Park. Brandon Manase, Aleki Falepaini and Justin Tavae all left early, Bill Cullen signed with Canberra and Gavin Hiscox has retired.

The future of potential Courier-Mail medallist, rake Krys Freeman, is still in limbo.

One can sympathise with Williams.

"We are not in the top echelon of QRL clubs, so that is a challenge straight away," he said.

"When they start throwing around the cheque books, the top clubs cherry pick the top players from the lower clubs.

"It does make the comp a bit uneven at times. Not having a salary cap means the richer clubs can do that. It is a part of this business and you have to accept it.

"We will likely lose some more but also gain some."

Vital for the Capras was the re-signing of halfback Jack Madden. He was one first players Williams approached and a real captaincy option.

"We get the feeling Madden will be here for a long time, he really represents the type of player we want at the club," he said. "It is fair to say we need depth at five-eighth. Reece Baker is a fullback and Mark Johnstone is still injured. We will look to other clubs and elsewhere. I am confident we will get the ones we want."
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

matt groat was a west tiger will do a pre season with us...depending on who leave there could be a contract up for grabs
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I thought Groat showed a bit of potential during his time with the Tigers. If bellyache can get him to where he needs to be then it could be a handy depth signing for us.
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

He made a bit of an impression on me at Wests. Given he only played 17 games, he must have shown a fair bit for my old brain to remember him. Is a very big lad, has apparently had a strong year in Qcup, and only 25. Great to get a chance to impress Craig - and it is important that we continue to give Craig some good options to look at, to keep him excited about the future.

It seems to me that, more than ever before , the RL world is recognising the genius of Bellamy and that Melbourne is absolutely the place to go if you want a chance to kick start your career ( whether as a promising junior or a bloke seeking a second chance). Very good for us.
Deadpool
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Pat Kaufusi has officially joined us for next year and Robbie Rochow has signed with the Tigers
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

FYI - Nate Myles was interviewed on the Fox Sports Market Watch podcast last week and he spoke glowingly about some of the systems in the Storm Football Dept. It's an interesting little insight into some of the finer details of the workings of the club: https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/fox-nrl-market-watch
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/05/06/2 ... s-the-mole

I now the mole isn't particularly credible but I must admit I've often wondered what CB could do with Dave Taylor
tigerr
Squall
Squall

Yeah I was watching Dave Taylor at the end of the game. He seemed very friendly with Cameron Smith and Craig Bellamy. Hmmm interesting. Imagine next year if we have NAS, Kasiono and Taylor on the field at the same time!!!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tigerr wrote:Yeah I was watching Dave Taylor at the end of the game. He seemed very friendly with Cameron Smith and Craig Bellamy. Hmmm interesting. Imagine next year if we have NAS, Kasiono and Taylor on the field at the same time!!!
Keep them to the middle please, I don't want the stadium to tilt :lol: :lol: :lol:
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Woody wrote:http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/05/06/2 ... s-the-mole

I now the mole isn't particularly credible but I must admit I've often wondered what CB could do with Dave Taylor
Only way I would be happy to have Taylor at Storm is on match payments and performance incentives.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

tigerr wrote:Yeah I was watching Dave Taylor at the end of the game. He seemed very friendly with Cameron Smith and Craig Bellamy. Hmmm interesting. Imagine next year if we have NAS, Kasiono and Taylor on the field at the same time!!!
Hung around on the park for an awfully long time for a player from the losing team......
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Must admit I noticed the big fella gang around on the field after the game on Saturday but didn't think much of it other than he must be mates with the guys he spoke to. Namely the Origin boys
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

TC wrote:
Woody wrote:http://wwos.nine.com.au/2017/09/05/06/2 ... s-the-mole

Only way I would be happy to have Taylor at Storm is on match payments and performance incentives.
Agreed TC but I was thinking along the same lines as Tiger. Taylor, Kasiano, NAS and Jesse would make one huge forward pack ☺
RobbieRoss
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Taylor is a chronic under-achiever, but time and again Craig has brought the best out in blokes. With big Dave , as with Sam Kasiano, there is a lot of talent to work with. Provided Craig and Frank look into his eyes and don't see the spirit of George Rose looking back, and as TC says we pay him based on output, it would be great to add him to the bench .