Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:Great signing just sad we won't ever get to see him play
????????
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well he is in our 18s signed for 3 years so he plays 18s 20s 20s in QUEENSLAND then if he re-signs then moves to reserves in QLD we will only see him play if he makes the NRL squad
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

OK..thanks Sallymay..now I understand.

can he be upgraded to 1st grade spot in the 2nd year of 20's ??
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He can once he's 18, unlikely to happen at that age though.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:He can once he's 18, unlikely to happen at that age though.
Cheers Mattpoet...
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scott turns 18 next month. So wont be in 18s next year. It a first grade contract.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

It's an NYC contract most likely
Freeze
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just found this on the Seven Sport web site
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/a/29 ... im-wilson/

"Melbourne Storm has claimed two of the game's brightest young talents - Scott Drinkwater and Curtis Scott. Drinkwater is the younger brother of Tigers playmaker Josh Drinkwater, and has earned rave reviews for his performances in SG Ball on the Central Coast this year. The 18-year-old halfback was a member of the Australian Schoolboys side last season and has freakish footwork that's earned him comparisons with Kiwi Golden Boot winner Shaun Johnson. Melbourne will be grooming the youngster as a replacement for Cooper Cronk, who could bow out of the NRL at the end of 2016.

But despite those wraps, Scott is arguably as a bigger prize. As revealed by Seven News in July, the Sharks junior was being chased by 12 NRL clubs. A hard-running centre, Scott was torn between offers from the Cowboys and Storm. He even met with North Queensland ace Johnathon Thurston in Townsville, but chose Melbourne as Kurt Mann's departure to St George Illawarra has opened a vacancy in the three-quarter line for next season."
Fizer
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Tumusa in first grade squad next year. I assume it's second tier.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/717 ... mer-school

Duffie being chased by the Warriors.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/717 ... att-duffie

Tualau being chased by a Sydney club.
http://www.qrl.com.au/news/2015/09/04/g ... hris_.html
There is also major interest in Easts prop Francis Tualau and Redcliffe centre Aaron Whitchurch. A Sydney NRL club is keen on signing both, who are not getting a look in at Melbourne Storm and Brisbane Broncos respectively.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Article up this morning about clubs chasing Munster now too. Good times.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

That article states that Munster is only contracted until the end of 2016 with a one year option in the club's favour...

Look, I was one that early on said that Slater's only position is FB where he is still a gun and Munster could possibly do an admirable job at centre (but must be in the 13).

If Munster keeps playing as he has been throughout the finals series, I don't see how we can possibly move him next year. He is just too good and growing his game at an astronomical pace.

Munster needs to be playing his preferred position not only so his progress isn't stifled but also so he is completely satisfied and comfortable playing in his preferred position. Other clubs will be offering that opportunity and I would hate to think we put him offside by insisting on him playing out of position.

Slater can still offer guidance and support from elsewhere on the paddock. Where exactly is an awkard question as I'm not sure...

Not at 5/8, that's for sure... I have two big issues with Slater at 6. First, he is getting fragile in his old age and I would be concerned with him having to defend in the front line. Second, he is a capable ball player and would be a fantastic ball runner from 6, but if Cronk is poor at chasing points, Slater is abysmal. Some of his attempts to do something when we have been trailing, have been shocking.

I'm happy for Slater to be chiming into the backline in set plays. I am happy for him to run the ball WHENEVER he wants. Ball playing off the cuff, not so much.

Centre? Maybe... but I'd still be worried about his defence in the front line.

Wing? Maybe... but he is not even remotely able to start our sets with a strong hitup.

The better Munster plays, the more this becomes a legitimate problem IMO.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So angry at storm ...really thought they would sign Francis

Frank ponessi grrrr
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:The better Munster plays, the more this becomes a legitimate problem IMO.
Which is what has happened between RTS and the Roosters. They didn't value him enough.
storm77
Squall
Squall

If we lose CM then the entire management team gets sacked.
I have said for a while I would happily let Billy walk if it meant securing CM long term.
I get wanting to be loyal but no player or individual is bigger then the team and you have to constantly be looking forward when putting your roster together and not just in the present.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:
yourhero wrote:The better Munster plays, the more this becomes a legitimate problem IMO.
Which is what has happened between RTS and the Roosters. They didn't value him enough.
I think RTS left so he could play in NZ with his kiwi mates. They were all really bonded after the Tests. I think the Roosters handled the Mini/RTS transition quite well. They didn't rush him into it and now I feel he's benefiting from that: best player in the comp bar Thurston.

On another note, I'm hoping the rumours about Duffman going to NZ aren't true. Seems like a shame for the club to let him move on after only just starting to benefit from the faith they had in him while he was injured.