Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

riders of the storm wrote:Feleti Mateo is going to be on the market apparently.

Would love to see him at the Storm if he was willing to come on a reduced contract.
Really wouldn't mind Mateo. At lock would add another dimension.

He's hit and miss and not sure how he'd be used but if you're buying Mateo you know what you're getting.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not a fan at all, personally. A rocks or diamonds player that has a lot more rocks. Doesn't seem like the type of player Bellamy would typically go for.

Paul K*nt apparently said that Mateo was on circa $500K at Manly! That is absurd for any club to pay for him... Although we are paying Proctor that so who am I to judge.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mateo 5-6 years ago maybe. But he is who he is now. Doesn't help teams win.

As for missing out on Gray, Really disappointing that we've swung and miss on recruiting another young player.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Would take Mateo if he was being offered at Boxing Day sale prices. When he's on cue he can provide some real spark in attack. The only way he would fit though would possibly be as a replacement for Hinchy next year as an impact player off the bench. But then again only if he comes at a bargain (which I doubt is going to happen if he's getting the reported 500k he's on now).
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

My guess regarding Slater not yet re-signing is he's doing something similar to Lebron albeit in a league with tighter salary cap controls and is giving the Storm some flexibility to make certain offers to players and he'll take what's remaining as long as it's within reason.

Or he's considering a move abroad to the SL now with that very enticing marquee player allowance in place over there and the strong English pound...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Seeing reports posted on social media, claiming that Mahe Fonua has signed with Hull FC in the Super League. Can anyone confirm?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've never burst into tears reading a player is leaving but I just did then....apparently signed for three years
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Excellent news.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Not if we're going to keep Kennar, Hunt and Duffie over him it isn't.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

All three are fine for depth. I still hold out hope for Hunt, he's much better than the 3 game sample he gave us. I don't like Mahe type players which is why I'm fine with him leaving.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very disappointing in my opinion. For what he offers vs his likely market value, I would have thought that he was worth holding on to. Particularly as we literally have ONE NRL proven centre in our entire squad.

Mahe can be a weapon on his day and surely has more improvement in him. Especially if he can stay settled in a single position for longer than a few months at a time.

Love his hard running and quick play the balls. Will be missed... especially considering our club seems to think smaller (<90kg) outside backs cut it these days.
Danger D
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mahe leaving is sad news for many of us who consider him a sentimental favourite. Will always have a soft spot for him as our first Victorian born and raised player to come through. I would still pick him as a first choice centre playing inside either MK or Duffman.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mahe is not the prototype Centre for 2016 and beyond.....Storm must have a taller and more skillful ball playing centre in mind...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Haven't seen much of Suli this season. If you have seen glimpses of him, do you think his form been up to the mark and therefore warrants a new deal?

Dale Copley is reasonably tall... Bennett probably has a vendetta against us though and will likely be opposed to the idea of letting us pick up such a talented player.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If Mahe is leaving that is rather shattering in my opinion. One of only 3 Vics to play first grade for Storm. Still only 22 and relatively versatile, can play centre, second row or wing and we don't have a lot of depth in centres. When MK5 came off it was great someone came on who can play wing.

We are having enough trouble keeping players from NSW and Qld I didn't expect us to lose one of the Vics, particularly the one who has showed the most promise.