Official thread and signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No, he lost last year, he won in 2013. He was contacted in 2013 to play in 2014.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Whoops I read you comment wrong thought u meant they wanted him for 2013

Oh well we got him now all good...now let's hope he and coops gel
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:now let's hope he and coops gel
Hopefully they can connect semi-regularly and not just run their respective corridors.

More importantly, let's hope Green and his centre can gel in defence and we don't haemorrhage line breaks/points on our left edge this year.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Nate Myles sounds out Melbourne for a possible move? From the courier mail.

TITANS coach Neil Henry hopes Test forward Nate Myles finishes his career on the Gold Coast despite revelations the skipper has approached the Storm about a move to Melbourne.

The Courier-Mail can reveal management for Myles recently approached Storm officials to discuss a potential move next season, allowing the front rower and his wife Tessa James to be closer to her family in Victoria.

Given the enormous health battle James has fought over the past year conquering Hodgkins lymphoma it is perfectly understandable if Myles and his wife wanted to be nearer to her family.

Some things in life are more important than football and the courage shown by Myles in his football throughout the past year has only increased the respect with which he is held by the club and their fans.

The Titans have yet to talk with 29-year-old Myles about a contract extension but Henry is adamant the Queensland and Kangaroos front-rower is part of his long-term plans on the Gold Coast.

“He is the captain of the club, there is no doubt he’d want to stay here and stay here for the rest of his career, whether the rest of his career is two years, three years, four years or whatever,” Henry said.

“A lot of players nowadays want to play until they’re 32, 33 or 34 but we don’t all get the opportunity to do that.

“I guess it’s a matter of us having a look but he is certainly a part of the future, he is a big part of the present as well, and has been for the last few years.

“If he is sought after by other clubs we’d like to think he is quite settled here and sees his future at the Titans long term.

“He is contributing, he is playing good minutes. We just need to look at our roster moving forward.’’

Complicating matters for Myles is the lack of salary cap space in Melbourne. It is understood Myles and Broncos forward Sam Thaiday were sounded out for moves to Melbourne just 12 months ago as the Storm faced a possible backrow exodus with Kevin Proctor, Ryan Hoffman and Tohu Harris all off contract at the same time.

When Hoffman agreed to join the Warriors and Proctor appeared headed to Canberra the Storm were ready to pounce on either Maroons forward. But Proctor ultimately decided to stay in Melbourne while the Storm’s re-signing of rising front row star Jordan McLean earlier this month has significantly reduced the odds of Myles getting a contract that would suit his status in the game.

Henry said the Titans were in no rush to re-sign their current players as the coach continues to remodel his team with an eye for long term success.

“We will get to it in due course. I’d imagine it will be ongoing over the next month or two,’’ Henry said.

“Nate is quite happy to get on with his footy at the moment and try to win a couple of games.

“It’s only early into the season so we’re not really moving too much on current contracted players at the moment.’’
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yea, he doesn't really fit in our forward pack atm. All of our guys are much cheaper and younger than he is. Thaiday is also getting passed it as a rep player.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I don't see it happening
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

i would hate to take mclean or finucane out of a starting spot to accomodate him
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hearing Mahe fonua is on the move mid season
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Shit
I hope not. I would have him in the team for sure. The guy is a beast. Should be inside MK5. MANN should be the new Mr Versatile. Hingy getting on as well and would imagine that having Mann come on and run for dummy half would be a momentum creator.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Be a shame to lose one of our local juniors.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I've heard this 3 times in the last two weeks...apparently his off to the broncos...I get the feeling he is gone..esp now daniel Vidot is leaving the broncos

Sigh
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattystorm1987 wrote:Hearing Mahe fonua is on the move mid season

seems the club see far more upside in Kurt Mann and on this basis I can understand why Craig is playing him......I reckon he will be a tremendous player.

I have no problems with players leaving....

Ultimately some stay...some go...others come....that's footy for you.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
STORM MAN
Squall
Squall

Didn't Fonua start to dominate the centre spot last year. Almost unstoppable from 10m out. And his kick returns and runs were inspirational. Not that I don't like Mann just that as far as impact goes Fonua and MK5 would be a deadly combo
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just heard another little rumour today

Billy slater has resigned for two more years till 2017
I guess them cam Munster would take over as he is up to resign then
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

sallymay wrote:Just heard another little rumour today

Billy slater has resigned for two more years till 2017
I guess them cam Munster would take over as he is up to resign then