The Wheels fell off when..

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bellamy released his Book :o

That's when it went down hill for Melbourne.

Or.. After Origin.. one of the two. :-\

Time for Big 3 to retire from rep footy. 8 in a row. How many more do they want? Greedy!
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Mmmmm..... Blues supporter Simo ? :-)
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Actually, I reckon it was after the new management took over.
Brian
Squall
Squall

Origin. Never recovered from our Annual Slump period this year due to other teams being so strong.
We have been lucky to have started the year strong and hold our spot in the eight
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Probably origin as the main catalyst. But coaching played it's part. Once again we've failed to realise we needed other players to stand up on their own without the big 3, the over reliance on them is ridiculous and was ultimately our downfall. We don't have anyone in the forward pack that can stand up when the pressure rises and be aggressive. No one to take the fight to the opposition before they do it to us. Having workmen like forwards is fine when your spine is young and fresh but having them do everything finally took its toll this year.

Don't know if it's just stubbornness from the coaching staff or not but not changing things up when you continually play the way you do isn't what I was expecting. The roster got too comfortable as there was hardly any competition for spots. Bellamy's favourites could do no wrong but other players would be in and out of the team every week.

Just my thoughts atm whether people agree or disagree with them is fine. Interesting to see what Bellamy and co take from a year where they didn't reach their goals.
Blotto
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

WCC apart Storm have not performed at the same level of the last few seasons, pre Origin they flattered to deceive and some fortunate wins kept the illusion going
The Origin series certainly drained those taking part not just Storms, Widdop getting that hip injury made for a more unbalanced side.
We all kept hoping that Storm would click into top gear come playoff time, but it didn't happen
It was obvious last night that Storm were not going to match Newcastle's passion & commitment, and contributed to their own demise with some uncharacteristic howlers gifting two easy try's!
I've said before mainly from the Super League perspective that the WCC doesn't help those taking part and does upset all the pre season planning.
We just have to hope that all the Storm players taking part in the World Cup come through unscathed and that Bellyache stands firm on not sending the Star players to the 9's comp next year! Though he should look at the IRB 7's model where it's mainly the best youngster with a couple of older players.
Next Year will be better for Storm with a much needed refocus and new players coming in and Bellyache modifying some of the way Storm play, as the other Coach's have now wised up as they should do in nullifying some of Storms attack and exploiting the compressed defence!
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Storm need to get better outside backs if they want this compressed defensive style or the current ones need to be faster and stronger , but even lacking that I'll predict most journos crapping on about Melbourne's chances in 2014,Matty Johns will be writing this drivel

'Expect the once mighty Melbourne to miss the eight, blah blah too old, blah blah too slow, blah blah big three on the downward stretch blah lima lima lima duck blah I'm a dumb lima lima lima duck who can't keep it in his pants'

In reality they'll power into the four and be a genuine contender,Hopefully playing against and losing to Manly just to make most league fans sook like little kids losing their dummies, stuff the haters

You have my commiserations fellow die hard league fans,better luck next year
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Thanks for the post CP. See you in 2014.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Inglis#3 wrote:Actually, I reckon it was after the new management took over.
I reckon when that happened their was an instant change in Cam Smith..
Not sure what, but I reckon his mood was different, and not in a good way.

Haha.. Nah I'm actually a qld supporter.. But I'd like to see them step down from origin and focus on the club.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cherry_Poppins wrote:Storm need to get better outside backs if they want this compressed defensive style or the current ones need to be faster and stronger , but even lacking that I'll predict most journos crapping on about Melbourne's chances in 2014,Matty Johns will be writing this drivel

'Expect the once mighty Melbourne to miss the eight, blah blah too old, blah blah too slow, blah blah big three on the downward stretch blah *lima lima lima duck* blah I'm a dumb *lima lima lima duck* who can't keep it in his pants'

In reality they'll power into the four and be a genuine contender,Hopefully playing against and losing to Manly just to make most league fans sook like little kids losing their dummies, stuff the haters

Matty Johns just said that if you take away the big three and Bellamy, Storm are basically Parramatta. :lol:
Good lukc next week. Can't believe I am saying this, but I hope Manly win.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Fans don't like to hear it but some of what Matty Johns said is true. The way we play without 1 of them missing isn't good but when all 3 are out its a joke. We all talk about having a team but we live and die too much on the big 3.

That's been my only problem with Bellamy as coach the last few years. His over reliance of winning games through the big 3 hasn't helped developing players around them.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Upon Gareth Widdop's decision to sign with St.George we should've immediately have promoted Finch to our team.
Gaz is great, but a work in progress. Finchy's not got all the polish but he gets the job done.
Gaz needed to be played last week to cover for Finchy, but Finch should've played last night.
I am in no way whatsoever blaming Widdop for our losses, just highlighting an area where I believe Craig got it wrong.
Likewise, I reckon Harris should've started at lock with Hinchy off the bench
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:Upon Gareth Widdop's decision to sign with St.George we should've immediately have promoted Finch to our team.
Gaz is great, but a work in progress. Finchy's not got all the polish but he gets the job done.
Gaz needed to be played last week to cover for Finchy, but Finch should've played last night.
I am in no way whatsoever blaming Widdop for our losses, just highlighting an area where I believe Craig got it wrong.
Likewise, I reckon Harris should've started at lock with Hinchy off the bench
Agreed with everything there.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Eh. Widdop was actually starting to play pretty well right before his injury. Finch proved he wasn't exactly up to playing week in week out in the NRL anymore. Maybe if Finch was fit enough for the 2 finals games and not playing him was the wrong call.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cherry_Poppins wrote:Storm need to get better outside backs if they want this compressed defensive style or the current ones need to be faster and stronger , but even lacking that I'll predict most journos crapping on about Melbourne's chances in 2014,Matty Johns will be writing this drivel

'Expect the once mighty Melbourne to miss the eight, blah blah too old, blah blah too slow, blah blah big three on the downward stretch blah *lima lima lima duck* blah I'm a dumb *lima lima lima duck* who can't keep it in his pants'

good luck for the rest of the finals Chez. I will be cheering for manly. Hope the refs don`t stuff you around against the s.s.rabble .(and can some manly fan push mother bargearse off the balcony.)

I noticed last night that when the 2 Bromwich Bros were on the ground together we didn`t get to see Mrs Bromwich jump up and down and flick her hair every which way.