To stay or not to stay...that is the question...

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
routy21
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I'd hate to see Cam leave as I reckon he's the best player in the game. If he does, we suddenly have over $1M to spend of 2 or 3 upcoming superstars. This means our so called "changing of the guard" wouldn't happen.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lets not forget that article is in a News Ltd newspaper... who sold us this year but continue to hold onto the Broncos don't they?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well it would. Star players don't grow on trees and we'd need to attract players to the unknown of Melbourne.

Will be very interesting to see how the club deals with changes.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Even the mole reckons Smith will leave for Brisbane.

So lock him into staying thanks Eddie.
Run Sika Run
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

He`s done more than enough for our club and should do what`s best for his family.

Thanks Cam
storm77
Squall
Squall

I would let him walk. He is not a priority signing at this point in his career and especially at anywhere near what the Bronco's are said to be offering.
The team is more important then any individual player and at this point it is more important to secure the futures of players like Tahu and Kevin then it is CS.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He'd be more of a priority over Tohu and Proctor easy. Not saying I'd want to sign him and lose them but this is still Cam Smith we're talking about.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I won`t even think of Cammy not finishing his career in Purple.I think he would get frustrated anywhere else cos he knows his team mates so well and he can depend on their work ethic that only comes with being together for along time.he will want to finish his career as a one team player.
storm77
Squall
Squall

blazza18 wrote:He'd be more of a priority over Tohu and Proctor easy. Not saying I'd want to sign him and lose them but this is still Cam Smith we're talking about.
Really a 31yo coming towards the end of his career who has already played over 300 games of football is a more important signing then guys in their early to mid twenties with their prime years in front of them?

Look we all love Cam but no player is bigger or more important then the team and at some point you do have to start focusing on the future and with all due respect CS is not the future. He is simply not worth the expense. SG for example could be a very good hooker for us and perhaps over that same three year span turn into a great one at a quarter of the price. Not saying it has to be SG but you do have to way up a players value at a certain point no mater how great they are and I do not like the idea of signing up a 31yo for that kind of money and watching some of our better young players walk.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I understand fully where you're coming from, and this is what the footy department need to work out. Re-signing Smith at the right contract (IMO no more than 2/$750k) will determine what players will need to be let go. I'd keep Tohu for sure but I'd think Proctor isn't really a prerogative because there's plenty of edge running backrowers going around. Losing Smith and everything changes, full rebuild to happen and hopefully our scouting department have plans in motion for when the big 3 retires, we can't turn into Parra.
Crooner
Squall
Squall

with interest to the cam smith line.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/rick ... 6770373900

In an interview with the Canberra Times, Stuart fumed about the Raiders developing players and then having them poached by bigger clubs.

"Why should we develop kids for other clubs like the Broncos, who have been probably one of the worst clubs over the last five years for development, yet they'll go and pinch Anthony Milford and Cameron Smith," Stuart said.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Sour grapes from Stuart really.

Brisbane's junior development isn't great but it's not like they're terrible. Most of Canberra's juniors come from south east QLD.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Whatever happens I just hope it doesn't drag on too long.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Look at all he has achieved at Melbourne; premiership, Origin and World Cup winning captain. Dally M Winner. Golden Boot winner. All around ornament to the game.

I wont begrudge him if he moves on.