George Rose to play for Melbourne

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

If BIG G comes, if he buys in and he lasts out our preseason he will have a purple blood transfussion and play very well. He can off load and step he is just fat and unfit. If he comes cheap and with the right attitude I would exspect him to do well. Just imagine what he could do with 20kg less and be able to play 30min halfs he will be a cult figure but its up to CB and him.

Welcome to the land of second chance!
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Was offered a contract an Manly, but it wasn't enough money, so I done think he will be was cheap as we'd like.

I like him as a player and even more as a character of the game, but he doesn't seem like a Melbourne player.
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I to like him as a player and I do belive he could become a cult figure at the club he is a funny bloke would be good to train with but has to do it the Storm way work hard, work harder, work harderer. Like I said if he buys in look out if not wast of money. Remember CB likes good people first so he can make them great footballers.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormsally wrote:Was offered a contract an Manly, but it wasn't enough money, so I done think he will be was cheap as we'd like.

I like him as a player and even more as a character of the game, but he doesn't seem like a Melbourne player.
That doesn't necessarily mean we didnt get him cheap though. Manly might've only offered him the minimum of $60k odd or whatever it is and we might've only offered him$80-$100k which is still cheap. They're only examples of course but given our track record of having to let players go to juggle the cap after we couldn't afford to keep them i highly doubt we'd have paid overs for George Rose.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Have we def signed him?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Not yet
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

George to Melbourne won't help his weight,he's been training under one of the toughest nuts in Donny Singe

Given a chance though he won't disappoint,hell he hasn't disappointed at Manly BUT we have waaay to many good up
and coming kids coming through and if we keep them back there too long they'll do the same as JWH and to a lesser extent
Lama Tasi and find their first grade careers with other clubs,Melbourne don't have that luxury at the moment so Rose will
be an exceptional signing,better than Ryles thats for sure
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry_Poppins wrote:George to Melbourne won't help his weight,he's been training under one of the toughest nuts in Donny Singe
That is a little bit worrying. It is a little bit worrying in general that someone who is a professional athlete and (I assume) completes all required training sessions can be obviously so overweight.

I am sure the change in scenery and culture will help.
Cherry_Poppins wrote:we have waaay to many good up and coming kids coming through and if we keep them back there too long they'll do the same as JWH and to a lesser extent Lama Tasi and find their first grade careers with other clubs,Melbourne don't have that luxury at the moment
We have a number of good young kids also. A few posters here have questioned whether there is a need to recruit someone like Rose at all. I am sure it is to have a mix of up and coming talent and experienced campaigners however Rose is not a like for like replacement for Ryles. Not at this stage anyway.
Cherry_Poppins wrote:Rose will be an exceptional signing,better than Ryles thats for sure
I really hope so. Based on current form however, Ryles is offering much more than Rose.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Sorry,I'm not even being a smartass however i'll be accused as such for this

Did Ryles play round 25? If so he was invisible,i completely missed him

George Rose has the frame to bend any pack,has a good offload but
has had a poor year by his standards,if i knew i wasn't wanted i'd play
shit too,Toovey does not rate him even a tiny bit,if he goes to Melbourne
he'd probably emulate his 2009-2012 form which was good but still unfit
as a cake eater,to me i'd bet he will do a lot better than Ryles has done this
year.....if it wasn't for Jason's overall size i honestly don't think i'd have noticed
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well, he shouldn't be as guilty as Ryles in the brain snap penalty department....that'd be one positive...As far as his weight, well, I'm sure he's fit, I think people forget that body type plays a role in how many...rolls you may carry at any given time (if it's just a flat out love for cheeseburgers, sorry, that shit has to go - eat when you retire big man!)

To be honest, he's one of the few manly players I rate - can obviously play, and doesn't seem to be a wanker on or off the field (pity the same can't be said of most the manly squad....i think williams is probably the only other guy that fits that description, maybe one or two others)

All that said, i'd prefer to use the forwards we have (i thought we were heavy on forwards anyway....?), keep the dollars and player space for use during the season if need be, as has been the thought process in recent years - though I guess that could still be happening regardless.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry_Poppins wrote:Did Ryles play round 25? If so he was invisible,i completely missed him
Yep, he played... He just didn't get too many minutes for whatever reason. When we met earlier in the year however, he was huge - making over 150m.
Cherry_Poppins wrote:i'd bet he will do a lot better than Ryles has done this year.....if it wasn't for Jason's overall size i honestly don't think i'd have noticed
Again, I hope you are right. Just for arguments sake, below are the stats for Rose and Ryles this year. Not a whole lot in it but Ryles has clearly outperformed Rose. If we sign Rose, I hope he has some decent improvement in him.

Jason Ryles
Games Played 22
Avg Minutes 36.4
Avg Runs 9.8
Avg Metres 86.8
Avg Try Assists 0.0
Avg Tackle Breaks 0.5
Avg Tackles 20.7
Avg Offloads 0.5
Avg Line Breaks 0.0
Avg L Break Ass 0.0
Avg Errors 0.3
Avg Pen Conceded 0.7

George Rose
Games Played 15
Avg Minutes 31.2
Avg Runs 8.3
Avg Metres 74.1
Avg Try Assists 0
Avg Tackle Breaks 0.9
Avg Tackles 12.9
Avg Offloads 0.2
Avg Line Breaks 0.1
Avg L Break Ass 0
Avg Errors 0.5
Avg Pen Conceded 0.3

Difference
Games Played - Ryles played 7 more
Avg Minutes - Ryles averaged 5.2 more minutes per game
Avg Runs - Ryles averaged 1.5 more runs per game
Avg Metres - Ryles averaged 12.7 more metres per game
Avg Try Assists - 0.0
Avg Tackle Breaks - Rose averaged 0.4 more tackle breaks per game
Avg Tackles - Ryles averaged 7.8 more tackles per game
Avg Offloads - Ryles averaged 0.3 more offloads per game
Avg Line Breaks - Rose averaged 0.1 more line breaks per game
Avg L Break Ass - 0.0
Avg Errors - Ryles averaged 0.2 fewer errors per game
Avg Pen Conceded - Rose averaged 0.4 fewer penalties conceded per game
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Last night's game was why George Rose would be sensational for Melbourne imho.

I love Jesse and Jordan...they are the future...but they got hit and hit hard by some big Rabittohs.

Rose would help soak up some of the punishment and bend the line with Ryles gone and Noz unable to play as a massive prop at this stage of his career.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I swear he gets fatter each week.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm just watching the Roosters game at the moment. I know that he must be pretty fit but he sure doesn't look it. Anyway if he comes and does preseason it should be interesting to see how he pulls up
J-Storm
Squall
Squall

I agree that if Bellamy thinks he fits what we need via the loss of Ryles then sign him up. I think he wants a 2-yr deal correct & Manly only wanted to sign him for one? His experience for 2yrs would DEF help our young core of Jordan & Co...