Finals week one

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Only problem I have with Souths is their forward pack is seriously hard to handle once they get on top. We haven't been able to be dominate around the ruck the last month and if we aren't on Friday we might not be able to handle their quick play the balls. I'd name a big bench, Vave back yet ?

Very winnable game but we need to step our game up and have a good plan B and C.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Just so we know - who's up what
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

We need a BIG bench. And we need to be aggressive for 80 minutes.
The week off and the home prelim are VERY important for us. Widdop will be targeted and he'll need as much time as possible to aid his recovery and run plays with the boys.
GO STORM!!!!!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Only problem I have with Souths is their forward pack is seriously hard to handle once they get on top. We haven't been able to be dominate around the ruck the last month and if we aren't on Friday we might not be able to handle their quick play the balls. I'd name a big bench, Vave back yet ?

Very winnable game but we need to step our game up and have a good plan B and C.
At what point were they "on top" the ;last time we had a hit out? Maybe we should ask the NEIN commentary team! ::)
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Our old friend Sam "I like to touch balls" Burgess has been up to his old tricks again. This time eye gouging, striking and kicking... All in the one match.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/image- ... 6714333556

How much will his "Sydney Marquee Player Status" discount his suspension this time?
Freeze
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Not even charged.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/news/ ... final-ban/

"Sydney Roosters prop Jared Waerea-Hargreaves is set to miss Saturday night's NRL qualifying final against Manly after being hit with a grade one dangerous contact charge.

The Kiwi Test enforcer was cited after an incident late in Friday night's minor premiership-deciding win over South Sydney in which he collected Chris McQueen with his forearm.

Waerea-Hargreaves could have avoided a ban but for 18 carry-over points from an incident against the Sea Eagles in round nine when he was sent off for a high tackle on George Rose.

An early guilty plea would leave Waerea-Hargreaves with 108 points, but he would not risk any more time on the sidelines if he fights the charge and loses.
Wests Tigers' New Zealand-born forward Ben Murdoch-Masila was only other player charged from final round matches but he does not face a ban for his careless high tackle charge."
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freeze wrote:Not even charged.
::) What a surprise...
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LESStar58 wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Only problem I have with Souths is their forward pack is seriously hard to handle once they get on top. We haven't been able to be dominate around the ruck the last month and if we aren't on Friday we might not be able to handle their quick play the balls. I'd name a big bench, Vave back yet ?

At what point were they "on top" the ;last time we had a hit out? Maybe we should ask the NEIN commentary team! ::)
Their forwards started rolling us after the first 20 minutes. We didn't crack which was nice but we need to be better.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

You don't need to match size with size. Turn them around with kicks like the roosters did. By the way just my opinion but George burgess is the biggest roid freak I have seen for a while. You don't get that big naturally, it just doesn't happen.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'd have to disagree about not being able to get that big without roids (though, that may be true for you and I...) I know a few guys that would dwarf his arm size, and I know they don't take steroids.

Although, it would explain throwing a street sign through a car window - either that or he went on an ice binge.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'm not overly confident. We won 6 of our away games this year...but 2 were against Souffs and chooks.

My main concern is 5/8. If Blair plays there we will struggle. I think I prefer Finch if fit...may be a tad more consistent. If Widdop plays, we need Cronk to have the game of his life.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why would Blair play 5/8 if Finch and/or Widdop is fit?
Perhaps I mis-understood you? And yeah, I'd prefer a fit Finch over Widdop.
Worst case scenario- no Finch or Widdop available. I'd prefer to see Hampton at 6 than Blair.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I'd play Finch over Widdop. Finch's only role is to feed those outside him. He hardly runs at all. Its no surprise that Maurice Blair started playing awesome when finch replaced Widdop. Gareth doesn't pass often enough. He often goes for the glory play. To beat souths we need to control Isaac Luke. Our markers all game need to pressure him. Kick deep to corners on early tackles, turn their big forwards around. Kick chase must be a focus. We also have to beat the refs. I have never seen a team get so many legups than souths this year. Expect to lose the penalty count but still win in a tight one.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Would by far prefer Widdop over Finch. We won't win the comp without Widdop IMO.