Storm vs Titans 4/9 AAMI park 530pm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Might have a shock return this week

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/m ... 6709279854

Interesting
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Finchy taking one for the team. Another reason why I love the Melbourne Storm.

Hope Widdop is fine to play and doesn't feel the need to rush back though. Might be a nice x-factor for us heading into the finals. We've missed his running game.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

In all honesty i'm not sure what to make of this if he returns. Not so much fitness wise but he's been out for 10 weeks so far so he's bound to be pretty rusty and given we're on the eve of finals i just think it presents a few risks. That said if he does come back i obviously hope he kills it.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed Ice. It is a very awkward injury and will likely have some impact on his running game for some time to come.

That aside, there would still be big concerns around fitness and overall team cohesion, particularly in defence.

If he does somehow make it back, I too hope he kills it.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

As I said before his injury, Finch is the better man for the job. Widdop was always the best long term prospect IMO. But since he signed with the Dragons his future with us is short term, and Finch is the better short term option.
Since Finch's taken on the role our left side defense (except for last week) has been much improved. He also offers a lot with his grubbers in goal and great psychic combination with Hoffman.

If Widdop is chosen over Finch, I hope it's the best fit for the team and not just a reward for hard work in a speedy recovery.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Latest tweet from the storm

@MelbourneStorm: Probably the biggest Teamlist Tuesday of the year so far…especially after you see who will be named today… #purplepride

U get the feeling they will rest the big 3 bring in Ben Hampton (who pulled out last minute for easts tigers last week) add gareth at 6 finchy at 14

1Sisa Waqa
2 Mahe Fonua
3 Maurice Blair
4 Will Chambers
5 Junior Sau
6 Gareth Widdop
7 Ben Hampton
8 Jesse Bromwich
9 Ryan Hinchcliffe
10 Bryan Norrie
11 Kevin Proctor
12Ryan Hoffman
13 Jason Ryles
14 Brett Finch
15 Tim Glasby
16 Jordan McLean
17Tohu Harris
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Or even someone debuting

Somi or Young
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Finch has seriously been poor in pretty much every game he's played this year, he's had the occasional good play/tackle but he's clearly passed it . Just before his injury Gaz was finally starting to play some good football. I'm fine with him coming back this week in a game that literally means nothing for us.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I hope we don't rest anyone. There could be a decent crowd, given that the Pies-Port final is on across the road pretty much 30 mins after our game finishes.
toffee
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

What's happened to Moors and Vave?
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I just forgot them
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Finch has seriously been poor in pretty much every game he's played this year, he's had the occasional good play/tackle but he's clearly passed it . Just before his injury Gaz was finally starting to play some good football. I'm fine with him coming back this week in a game that literally means nothing for us.
While i agree Widdop was finally starting to show some decent form before he got injured, that was after a couple of months of playing week after week and not coming off 10+ weeks of injury with 6 weeks of that on crutches.

It took him a fair while to start showing some decent form after (IMO) was a slow start to the season and that was after a solid preseason and constant football. Given that i don't dont think it's unreasonable to suggest that there's a fair few risks bringing him in and expecting him to pick up where he left off. Especially now we're on the eve of finals where the intensity and tempo picks right up.

That's just my thoughts but I'll back the coach and senior players who I'm sure will also have a say whichever way they decide to go. As long as we can win again i couldn't care less who does the job for us.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This is the team released on Hailstorm:

LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Resting the "Big 3" was never an option. Titans will come out firing on Sat'dee arvo!
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

after getting smashed and a poor performance last week, no chance we are messing with our side this week.
The team need to rebound and get a quick shot of confidence heading into the finals and a trip to Sydney to play probably Souths at ANZ.