Rd 25 storm vs manly brookvale sat 31/8 7.30pm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry_Poppins wrote:Have you not been with someone less attractive while drunk? Its a quiet substantial mitigating factor,which is why your not allowed to drive drunk
??? Not sure you fully understand the term my friend.

mitigating - present participle of mit·i·gate (Verb)
Verb
1.Make less severe, serious, or painful: "he wanted to mitigate misery in the world".
2.Lessen the gravity of (an offense or mistake).

Being intoxicated by alcohol, in no way whatsoever, makes crimes less severe. You cannot kill someone and then say "Oh, but I was drunk" and expect leniency. Any argument proclaiming that alcohol is a "mitigating" circumstance (again, please refer above) to a crime, is a fallacious one.

----------

Anyway, I look forward to a cracking game. Storm by 14.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

This is a game we must win !!! Not because of the places on the ladder,because i don't think that is significant enough to worry about at this stage. But we must win for confidence, this is a big test for us going into the finals, we have been on an even level with Manly all year, they are a good side and so are we, and all through the season and the result of the last game we played at AAMI park show that. We haven't beaten them they haven't beaten us.We have beaten both the Bunnies and the Roosters, but we always have trouble with Manly.We have to toughen up a bit for Saturday night, they are tough and hard to handle, and we have to stand up against them..and their tactics, and we have to be aware of the sniping Matai.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Taufua is a massive loss for them make no mistake about that. He's improved heaps this season. Defence is much better and is one of the better dunny half runners and kick returners for a winger too. Brett Stewart might be out too, and while I don't rate him as highly as some other fullbacks, he's clearly a key figure for Manly in their set plays. So I think we're clearly the better team and deserve to be favourites.

As long as the team puts in 100% the result really doesn't matter. Just come out healthy, rest players next week and get ready to travel up to Sydney in the first week of the finals.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not sure if we'll rest players a week before the finals, especially after doing that against the Roosters in rd 26 a couple of years ago and getting smashed. It's a tough call and in a perfect world we'd have been able to rest our origin boys before now, but i think it's important to maintain momentum going into the finals and the best way of doing that is to play your best possible team IMO. Then again i could be completely wrong and Bellyache will rest one or two.

Maybe a good compromise would be to play them next week and give them an early mark, at least then they'll still keep their sharpness fine tuned and give them a bit of a freshen up before finals. That said it's no secret they hate being benched especially the captain so that could be easier said than done lol
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:Taufua is a massive loss for them make no mistake about that. He's improved heaps this season. Defence is much better and is one of the better dunny half runners and kick returners for a winger too. Brett Stewart might be out too, and while I don't rate him as highly as some other fullbacks, he's clearly a key figure for Manly in their set plays. So I think we're clearly the better team and deserve to be favourites.

As long as the team puts in 100% the result really doesn't matter. Just come out healthy, rest players next week and get ready to travel up to Sydney in the first week of the finals.
Other than Slater theres probably no fullback in the league that is any better,Stewart's been fighting and beating his lack of blinding speed that he used to have with extra brains,he can see the matrix,you could say Inglis but meh,not as good a playmaker or last line of defense,you could say Moltzen but you'd know it to be a dirty lie

Taufua is a huge loss but Hiku isn't a terrible player and when we did play this year and he replaced Snake it was a draw,don't get me wrong it definitely was not a seamless replacement but you don't just pull out another player quiet the ilk of Snake from your 25,hopefully he can make up for Taufua's other awesome attributes in his own way,getting out of our end will be a test of wills if it wasn't anyway but without Jorge it will be a monster effort

We've done this dance before,come out of the blocks belting the shit out of the other team,hopefully into submission then ride the wave of their tiredness and pain to victory,can it be done against THIS Melbourne? who knows,lay a few good shots into Slater and hurt him and that blunts the storm,but Smith would counter that in some way or another,he is undoubtedly the "living immortal" (paraphrasing Ray Warren's garbage on Lockyer throughout 2011)

I think even with a home ground advantage this one is slightly out of reach with the losses of Kite,Watmough and Taufua,i could say Gulavao but we've soldiered on without him all year same with King,don't get me wrong im not resigned to losing but i couldn't fault a loss this week with a weakened side against arguably the best big game side in the competition,Souths have no claim to this,nor do the Roosters however Manly could lay claim to this title as the only real opposition Melbourne has had to the title since 2007-2008,both sides have the pedigree to win when it counts

The fate of the NRL trophy isn't up for grabs at Brookvale so hopefully something is left in the tank and theres as few injuries as possible,if the sharks lose this weekend this game is only deciding 3rd position which is exactly the same scenario as 4th position,only with more competition points
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LOL no, Stewart is nowhere near the 2nd best fullback in the comp. He's important to Manly, but he's not a top 3 fullback anymore.
storm77
Squall
Squall

We must win for one reason..... They are our blood rivals and they must be destroyed.
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Cherry_Poppins wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Taufua is a massive loss for them make no mistake about that. He's improved heaps this season. Defence is much better and is one of the better dunny half runners and kick returners for a winger too. Brett Stewart might be out too, and while I don't rate him as highly as some other fullbacks, he's clearly a key figure for Manly in their set plays. So I think we're clearly the better team and deserve to be favourites.

Other than Slater theres probably no fullback in the league that is any better,Stewart's been fighting and beating his lack of blinding speed that he used to have with extra brains,he can see the matrix,you could say Inglis but meh,not as good a playmaker or last line of defense,you could say Moltzen but you'd know it to be a dirty lie

Taufua is a huge loss but Hiku isn't a terrible player and when we did play this year and he replaced Snake it was a draw,don't get me wrong it definitely was not a seamless replacement but you don't just pull out another player quiet the ilk of Snake from your 25,hopefully he can make up for Taufua's other awesome attributes in his own way,getting out of our end will be a test of wills if it wasn't anyway but without Jorge it will be a monster effort

We've done this dance before,come out of the blocks belting the shit out of the other team,hopefully into submission then ride the wave of their tiredness and pain to victory,can it be done against THIS Melbourne? who knows,lay a few good shots into Slater and hurt him and that blunts the storm,but Smith would counter that in some way or another,he is undoubtedly the "living immortal" (paraphrasing Ray Warren's garbage on Lockyer throughout 2011)

I think even with a home ground advantage this one is slightly out of reach with the losses of Kite,Watmough and Taufua,i could say Gulavao but we've soldiered on without him all year same with King,don't get me wrong im not resigned to losing but i couldn't fault a loss this week with a weakened side against arguably the best big game side in the competition,Souths have no claim to this,nor do the Roosters however Manly could lay claim to this title as the only real opposition Melbourne has had to the title since 2007-2008,both sides have the pedigree to win when it counts

The fate of the NRL trophy isn't up for grabs at Brookvale so hopefully something is left in the tank and theres as few injuries as possible,if the sharks lose this weekend this game is only deciding 3rd position which is exactly the same scenario as 4th position,only with more competition points

Stewart should change his name from snake to snail..he is that slow..
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

scriptyx wrote:
Cherry_Poppins wrote:

Stewart should change his name from snake to snail..he is that slow..
At least he doesnt grapple,karate kick or king hit and is genuinely safe under the high ball and as a last line of defense,rarely gets trampled by a terrible player the ilk of Tony Williams

He runs at about regular run of the mill centre speed now,probably around as quick as Lyon but still gets it done and is a walk up start for NSW for his skills alone
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Dribbling more rubbish again, Cherry.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Didn't read that wall of text, I might when I get home.....however; "walk up start for NSW" are you actually joking? Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you'll find B. Stewart has played his last origin game already - there's no way he gets picked ahead of Duggan or even Hayne. Walk up start to the 3rd string NSW side? Yeah maybe, just.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cherry_Poppins wrote:
At least he doesnt grapple,karate kick or king hit and is genuinely safe under the high ball and as a last line of defense,rarely gets trampled by a terrible player the ilk of Tony Williams

He runs at about regular run of the mill centre speed now,probably around as quick as Lyon but still gets it done and is a walk up start for NSW for his skills alone

walk up start if dugan and hayne are injured, stewart was the first over the blair swinging punches a couple of years ago! and dont give me the protecting his brother bullshit either, it was still a king hit.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storming wrote:and dont give me the protecting his brother bullshit either, it was still a king hit.
Which he didn't serve a decent punishment for.

Seems he dodges punishment quite regularly of crimes he is actually guilty of.

Now he's wearing off on Tafua!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry_Poppins wrote:

No talk about Lockyer being a living Immortal is "garbage". Greatest player to pull on a boot. Leaves Slater and Stewart in his dust as far as fullbacks go and Lewis, A. Johns etc in his dust as far as footballing brains go.
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Cherry_Poppins wrote: At least he doesnt grapple,karate kick or king hit
Jesus H tapdancing Christ. You seriously are stupid.
I dunno what you call it at Sookvale, but everywhere else in the world throwing a punch at the back of someone's head is called a king hit.

Danny Williams walked 10 feet to punch a guy who had just slammed his head into the ground and got 18 weeks. Your hero ran 30 metres to launch a swinging arm at someone who was defending himself from a grubby attack by another womanly scumbag.
On that basis, Worm should have got about 10 years.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately