Rd 15 vs Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

just watched the press conference, bellyache made a point of hampton getting hit high and not laying down where the titans got a penalty for laying down. he said he is proud of him cause he doesn't want our players laying down for penalties, even though we only got 2 penalties all game
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Slade' defence is very impressive.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:
Insomniac wrote:Very disappointed in Finch's kicking game - there wasn't one kick that was first grade worthy. Even Blair's kicking game was better... hell, even Ryles' kick got us a line drop out!

If that's what we have to look forward to from him in the coming weeks (and beyond possibly), please let someone else kick the damn ball...
Most of the kicking duties were performed by Widdop. It is his woeful kicks that go out into touch or beyond the in goal. Finch will be better at 5/8 than he has at halfback. He's done a good job playing 2 NRL games out of position in Coops' absence. Don't blame him for the mistakes of others.
The kicking game on the whole (by everyone) was terrible, but I was really looking forward to seeing Finch step up and lead the team with Gaz tonight, and I was particularly disappointed in Finch's kicking game - I'm not blaming him for anyone else's mistakes or poor kicks.

Widdop's kicking wasn't much better either, but I can remember at least a couple of decent kicks by him that didn't go straight to the opposition winger or fullback after travelling a pathetic 30 metres.

In saying all of that, I completely agree that he should be much better at 5/8 alongside Cronk, playing only a supporting role with Cronk directing the ship. The refereeing didn't help our kicking game tonight either - it was pretty obvious to me that the Titans were consistently getting off their line early without any penalties coming our way...
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

storming wrote:at the game the last tackle options were very bad!! but the titans seemed to leave the line early to put pressure one and get away with it, mainly bailey, and he is not quick enough to run 15m while the ball is passed 10m.

we lost our way after widdop went down, it was right in front of me. not good for the boy.

zillman should be reported for acting not moors. the replays looked like there was no contact, did anyone see contact?
The Titans definitely came up quickly on our kickers, particularly in the last couple of minutes where Mitch got tackled about 10 metres out from our line on the last tackle. Hampton got hit high on numerous occasions, I liked Bellamy's comments about Ben not staying down. Shows Zillman may take the soft option when a game is there to be won in the future.

Gaz had just been finding some form over the last two or three weeks and that is a devastating injury. It is a shame that this is how his Storm career is likely to finish. He is also likely to miss out on the RLWC. All the best in your recovery Gaz.

There was slight contact by Moors to Zillman's head but it wasn't sufficient to justify a report, so the video ref should have said play the ball. I bet you there wont be any judiciary charge against Moors, which will prove the video ref wrong. It is a shame that Zillman lay down with about 3 or 4 minutes to go, because if he had have done it earlier every time he got the ball after that we would have smashed him.

Finchy's short passing at the line is his strength, his kicking game is not usually his strength. His kicks, particularly in the first half seemed to be aimed for Kevin Gordon's chest. I think Craig will go the safe option and name Finch v Tigers. Will be interesting to see if Bellamy plays Blair or Hampton at five eighth v Bulldogs when we are next without our stars.

Despite the loss, I was proud of our team last night.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Titans played well. Jamal Idris, Albert Kelly and Jarred Maxwell were all great for the Titans.

Fair dinkum, the penalty for Norrie's hand on the ball where the Titans were gifted two points, there were about 25 Titans tackles more obvious but Maxwell kept the whistle up his ass.

I could not believe the penalty against Moors for the shot on Zillman either. First because Zillman milked it like a 4 year old girl and secondly that the penalty was even given... Soft. As. Butter.

Agreed RE Finch's kicking game, quite poor. He had a magnet for Gordon and found him on the full more than half a dozen times... He will be the 5/8 for the rest of the year though and deservedly so.

Good game for the most part.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ben Hampton's been named in the team of the week...amazing debut

http://www.nrlnews.com/2013/06/25/ricky ... eek-rd-15/
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Great effort by all the guys - terrible night for gaz, he was playing well and now it looks like he's played his last game for the storm :/

I thought jbrom, proc and chambers stood out (and that kick from ryles! I think we've found next years 5/8, he must only be retiring from the forward pack)

One thing got me though - the knock on called at the time of gaz' injury....i thought at the time he picked up an injury, then replays seemed to clearly show him injured in the tackle. I thought they would have changed that call - which of course ended up in a penalty goal for the titans shortly thereafter (on top of losing gaz, it was a pretty huge deal in the scope of the game)

Favourite parts were easily hampton getting his tries/playing like nothing phased him, he took some big hits! And the very end, I still felt the boys could get the job done - it was a very melbourne performance all round, but especially the short kick off that almost produced something.....also the fact heads weren't going down, lesser teams would have been on the receiving end of a thrashing - the titans were super enthusiastic all night, and had the team (on paper) to dominate that game - and they didn't. Again, great effort by the boys!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

i couldn`t understand why the tantits got the ball when Gaz got injured.I thought an injury as bad as he got was enough to put the ball down.I thought the refs were as weak as p.
did anyone else think we should have taken the penalty kick for goal instead of playing on.
WiddopSnr
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Re: Gareth Widdop
Scans show no structural damage, so hopefully a quicker recovery than first thought.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh wow. Good news. His season might not be over then ?
WiddopSnr
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

He's not writing it off anyway, straight into rehab!
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

excellent news!! wish him a fast recovery
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Great news for Gaz.. Please wish him well for a speedy recovery.
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I thought Proctor and Harris were great last night, as was Hampton on debut - huge debut game! Would have liked to see him shift up to 6 but he was very good at the back. Maybe there is some truth to the rumour of Slater to 6 next year? (I hope not)

On Finch, I commented to a mate that he looked slow again last night, the jump from NSW Cup to NRL certainly is showing for him at the moment, but most concerning was his kicking game - again. In 2 weeks at halfback, has he found the turf once? I expect Bellamy to name him at 6 next week, and with Cronk back that will certainly help take some pressure off, and I think we might see the best of him again for us. At this stage of his career, I don't think he is up to running the show at first grade level.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormy wrote: did anyone else think we should have taken the penalty kick for goal instead of playing on.
Me.

That is good news re Gaz.