Rd 12 Storm v Sharks, Sun 9th June 6.30pm

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

yourhero wrote:For a game where we had so much more ball and the Sharks made almost 100 more tackles than us, we had more missed tackles. 7 from Chambers and 6 from Widdop alone.

As soon as the Sharks started to throw the ball around and create some second phase play, we started dropping off tackles.
by then the game was well and truly won.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormy wrote:
yourhero wrote:For a game where we had so much more ball and the Sharks made almost 100 more tackles than us, we had more missed tackles. 7 from Chambers and 6 from Widdop alone.

As soon as the Sharks started to throw the ball around and create some second phase play, we started dropping off tackles.
by then the game was well and truly won.
Not the point though, we got lazy which was concerning
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My favourite moment of the game... The Sharks are attacking in the Storm half, they move the ball to the far right and Justin O'Neill crunches a Sharks player in a beautiful tackle. They spread the ball to the left, and Sisa nails a Sharks player in an almost identical tackle. Loved it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

myfavourite was the blair try on the back of the cronk 40/20, brilliant execution
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:My favourite moment of the game... The Sharks are attacking in the Storm half, they move the ball to the far right and Justin O'Neill crunches a Sharks player in a beautiful tackle. They spread the ball to the left, and Sisa nails a Sharks player in an almost identical tackle. Loved it.
Yea that was awesome. Having two wingers who don't get lost on defence completes our team imo.

I think last night might have been our most complete performance of the season.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:
yourhero wrote:My favourite moment of the game... The Sharks are attacking in the Storm half, they move the ball to the far right and Justin O'Neill crunches a Sharks player in a beautiful tackle. They spread the ball to the left, and Sisa nails a Sharks player in an almost identical tackle. Loved it.
Yea that was awesome. Having two wingers who don't get lost on defence completes our team imo.

I think last night might have been our most complete performance of the season.
Agreed
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Widdop got back to doing what he was doing last year - using his footwork but straightening the attack. Great game.
How much better do we look with O'Neill on the wing under the high ball??

I wouldn't be worried about dropping off tackles late in the game, it was well and truly over, and with 4 boys backing up it was a fantastic performance. If we are getting worried about dropping off in a 38-6 win that's what I call a first world problem! :-D
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

steaming stormer wrote:Widdop got back to doing what he was doing last year - using his footwork but straightening the attack. Great game.
How much better do we look with O'Neill on the wing under the high ball??

I wouldn't be worried about dropping off tackles late in the game, it was well and truly over, and with 4 boys backing up it was a fantastic performance. If we are getting worried about dropping off in a 38-6 win that's what I call a first world problem! :-D
Agreed. Blair is a terrier in defense as well. Might be very hard for Fonua to get his spot back.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I would've given Blair best on ground myself, he had an excellent game.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm still reeling from Widdop getting MOM!
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

i wonder what we have done to stop leaking tries down the edges, we still play compressed but the last few games the edges have not been leaking like earlier in the season. i know some of it may be due to Mahe being dropped but his issue was the high ball not running in early. O'Neill has improved but I dont know how one week you can play like a dog and Blake Fergusson run rings around you, to a couple of weeks later playing a great game.....
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

O'neill was probably underdone in his return game(s).....what we saw against the sharks is how he played prior to injury - I rate him very highly. The defence I think can be attributed to the change in the backline (duffie/mahe) and I'm sure its been high on the priority list at training etc......that, and the state it was in was so bad, I doubt it was getting any worse - the only way is up etc
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

O'Neill is a strong defensive winger and having someone inside him who he can trust is making a huge difference.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Very true. O'Neill's decisions at centre can be appalling but you can see that he has absolutely no trust in Widdop inside him.

Widdop still made bad decisions last Sunday but Blair didn't go sprinting infield like O'Neill was, and held his ground. Still not great though, just lucky that the Sharks weren't good enough to exploit it.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Storm's highest ever score against the Sharks and our biggest winning margin against them.