Is Wests Tigers' Adam Blair the NRL's worst signing ever?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Is Wests Tigers' Adam Blair the NRL's worst signing ever?

NOT since a washed-up old Balmain front-rower picked up $725,000 at the height of the Super League war have we seen a more overpaid player in rugby league.

The terrible form of $500,000-a-year Wests Tigers forward Adam Blair brings back memories of the infamous Steve Edmed deal back in 1995.

The Balmain prop was paid $725,000 from John Ribot's Super League chequebook for what turned out to be just one year at the North Queensland Cowboys.

Blair's form - or lack of it - has been one of the game's biggest NRL talking points in recent weeks.

His 2013 statistics are shocking - just one linebreak and 24 missed tackles in 10 games.

The linebreak was against the Knights in round one - and he hasn't made one in the nine matches since.

The stats from the South Sydney game - a 54-10 humiliation last Friday night - are even more embarrassing. Six missed tackles, zero tackle busts, zero linebreaks and four runs for just 34m in 72 minutes.

One missed tackle was a hopeless, half-hearted effort on a player half his size, Souths halfback Adam Reynolds.

The Tigers are in a training camp in Kiama this week.

The Kiwi forward is not keen on discussing his issues. "Tell them I'm not interested," was his message that came back via the club's media man, Wayne Cousins.

His form has been so bad there has been speculation the Tigers want to offload him to a rival club, even if it means paying part of his contract.

They are already paying for three other former players at other clubs as part of this year's cap.
Blair's form hasn't been the same since he left the Storm as one of the most feared forwards in the premiership.

His sideline altercation with Manly second-rower Glenn Stewart was an indication of the ferocity and aggressiveness of his old game. Maybe that incident and the suspension has slowed him up.

Front-row legend Steve "Blocker" Roach refused to be overly critical of the Kiwi forward.

"How many players leave Melbourne Storm and struggle? It happens a bit," he said. "I originally thought he'd be a great signing and I was that excited when it first happened.

"You look at the other night's game and everyone's defence was unacceptable. Not just Adam Blair. It was terrible everywhere.

"Defence is attitude. You've got to want to tackle."

In fairness to Blair, he does not have a lot of support or go-forward beside him in the Tigers' pack. He quit Storm to play alongside Bryce Gibbs, Andrew Fifita, Gareth Ellis and Chris Heighington but all four have since left the club.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that apart from paying ridiculous money for Blair, the Tigers' salary cap is an absolute mess.

They are still paying for Gibbs, Heighington and Ellis from their previous deals, which is hurting new coach Mick Potter as much as the injury crisis.

TAME TIGER
ADAM BLAIR 2013
1 linebreak
24 missed tackles
BLAIR V SOUTHS
72 minutes
4 runs
34 metres
0 tackle busts
0 linebreaks
6 missed tackles
Info

Do you think he would be a good resigning if the Tiggers pay part his Salary
Kya
Squall
Squall

No!!!! While I'm in favor of some of our former players returning to the fold if circumstances allow it I.e Chambers, Finch.
We have moved on as a team structurally and really while he was damaging early on with us, he has always been ill disciplined and I think was really made to look better than he was in his last 18 months with us. All credit to him for what he achieved with us, he was really damaging in those first few years and his contribution to our side while he was here was at times a real advantage but the game and our side has moved on and I would rather see Vave fill a regular spot than have Blair return. The Tigers were always going to be the wrong team for him because he needs structure around him and more importantly you only need to compare the calibre of the players he played along side in his time with us compared to his current side. Even with a fully fit side of Tigers around him, would not measure up the sides between 2006 to 2010 he had around him at the storm that greatly helped him and his development.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Kya wrote:No!!!! While I'm in favor of some of our former players returning to the fold if circumstances allow it I.e Chambers, Finch.
We have moved on as a team structurally and really while he was damaging early on with us, he has always been ill disciplined and I think was really made to look better than he was in his last 18 months with us. All credit to him for what he achieved with us, he was really damaging in those first few years and his contribution to our side while he was here was at times a real advantage but the game and our side has moved on and I would rather see Vave fill a regular spot than have Blair return. The Tigers were always going to be the wrong team for him because he needs structure around him and more importantly you only need to compare the calibre of the players he played along side in his time with us compared to his current side. Even with a fully fit side of Tigers around him, would not measure up the sides between 2006 to 2010 he had around him at the storm that greatly helped him and his development.
Have to agree - his comments on how he wanted to break away from the Storm structure so he could so call "unleash" seemed a little improper as far as I am concerned
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Forgetting this year, has Blair really offered much less for the Tigers than he did the Storm?

The spastics in Sydney think that "any player that plays for the Storm, must be good!". The team's success is remembered and not what a particular individual contributed.

Stating that all ex-Melbourne players end up being duds/playing far below what they ever were capable of at the Storm, is a myth. Stating that Adam Blair's 2012 was sooooo far below what he offered the Storm just shows ignorance.

Having said all that, I most definitely do NOT want Blair back at the Storm. I just don't know what the Tigers, or more generally Sydney RL fans, expected.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blair has always been shit and im thankful hes another teams liability.

he never runs with any intensity, he always does this little shuffle with his feet 2m before contact and loses all speed. no wonder he cant make a line break.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

he is a prop who should have 15-20min stints, he is not good enough for a 80 min second rower
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Gibbs is a awesome prop.. Heiny great too.. and they gave them up for Blair. Dumb.

Blair back in Melbourne.. hmm.. now that we have Tohu Harris who pretty much looks like Blair, plays like Blair. Is on a fraction of a salary as Blair.. we dont need Blair.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hes just another example of a storm player who goes elsewhere to become a shadow of his former self.

Tigers don't have discipline of Storm hence Adam's went out the window when he got to Leichardt.