Is our recruiting letting us down?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Give Weston a run already!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree Blair is exponentially better in the centres than as a bench utility.

I would love to see Weston in the side soon. I am not sure it will be against the Roosters though. I think Vave will come back into the side before Weston. It is a bit of a waste using Moors and Setu for only 23 minutes each.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

2012 Premiers.

/end thread
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

we all mention the big 3 like they take up all our salary cap not leaving anything else for the other players, and I realyl don't think that is the case, yes I think it comes down to smarts and maybe a little bit of pigheadedness on Bellamy's part.
If you take a look at other clubs and I will go through a couple and point out my thoughts on this

Souths..Greg Inglis,Sam Burgess, These are just 2 players that They pulled out all stops to get.. who knows what they are paying them?? what they show in the salary cap would not even compare to what the actual figure is, BUT, the other players around these guys have all been BOUGHT in to make a every position strong, they are not persisited with week after week, they were especially picked and bought for what they can do.

Roosters...SBW,James Maloney,Michael Jennings..all BOUGHT at the same time, and then players around them BOUGHT for a specific reason, these teams are not putting faith in their juniors coming up the ranks anymore they are paying money to win premierships, and it is working.
So while ever Bellamy has this attitude of keeping faith with his young blokes , and we don't buy players we make them theory.. then we are going to be left behind in the wake of clubs who are willing to spend money on players, because there is NO way that our big 3 are being paid more than The Roosters Bigger 3
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

But we got busted for breaching our salary cap and they...

...well they're not Melbourne

/end thread
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I could totally understand threads like this if we had a fairly long spell with no success but we won the comp last year, the WCC not to mention a record 15 wins in a row including the first 7 games this season. It's amazing what 2 losses will do to make that all of a sudden forgotten....

With the Rabbits and Roosters examples I don't think their situation is quite the same as ours. Yes theyve purchased the likes of Inglis, Burgess, Maloney, Sonny Bill (for this year only)etc but given both those sides have had very little success in recent years and Souths much much longer, they didn't really have many big name stars on massive contracts hence had the money in the cap to afford to buy the likes of these blokes. Legally or otherwise.

Us on the other hand have numerous premiership winners so rightly or wrongly, obviously they get paid more so theres less money to spend to buy elsewhere. If the Roosters or rabbits have success this year or the next couple theyll find themselves in exactly the same boat as what we have and you can say Manly as well. That's just my opinion.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

This whole thread's a joke, right?

We've had 1 draw, 15 wins and 2 losses from the last 18 games, and we're still in good shape for back to back premierships and WCC's.

As for your justification of Roosters and Souths being able to buy a premiership this year because they've had no success previously is nonsense.
The salary cap is fixed every year. You cannot save 5% annually and then suddenly have money to burn on star players.
Whether they're recruited now or over a few seasons it certainly looks like some dodgy accounting is being utilized at these clubs. But until a whistleblower comes forward it's business as usual for the NRL.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:This whole thread's a joke, right?

We've had 1 draw, 15 wins and 2 losses from the last 18 games, and we're still in good shape for back to back premierships and WCC's.
I mentioned that couple of times.
Go Storm wrote:As for your justification of Roosters and Souths being able to buy a premiership this year because they've had no success previously is nonsense.
The salary cap is fixed every year. You cannot save 5% annually and then suddenly have money to burn on star players.
Whether they're recruited now or over a few seasons it certainly looks like some dodgy accounting is being utilized at these clubs. But until a whistleblower comes forward it's business as usual for the NRL.
Not trying to justify anything as i dont really have to. My point being is that in recent years both clubs have had very few if any marquee players so to speak, their list and salary cap was clogged up with mediocre players which are easy to offload to make room for the big signings. We've never did that and never had to given we already had the big names in our system and the other two clubs have never had to juggle paying 3 players almost half their 4.4mil cap and share whats left with 22 others.

Whether those teams had room to sign them or cheated I have no idea and in all honesty couldn't be bothered speculating. Anyway like I said in my previous post that's only my opinion, I was looking for validation for it.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Is our recruiting letting us down ?
NO !

We haven't always had our BIG THREE - They grew up through the ranks,so are entitled to the value they now earn.
Lots of other young blokes have come through as well & then been lured,stolen,etc to other clubs,(who BTW usually had MASSSIVE junior ranks of their own).
We've had older blokes come here after being hung out to wither by other clubs & they've repaid the club 110% most of the time.

OK we don't usually go hunting for mega stars,but do we NEED TO ?

Since day one 1998 until today I've seen a lot high n low.
I'm guessing the next generation BIG THREE for the Storm won't be bought of the rack.It'll come the same way the first generation did 8)

My 2 cents worth anyhow.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Rina
Squall
Squall

I rather enjoy watching players come from our ranks and successfully establish themselves in our first grade squad - something more prideful in it (obviously speaking for myself here).

While buying players from other clubs is exciting I wouldn't want our club to go on a massive shopping spree for big name stars to inject x factor into our squad while we have suitable options within. I like that Bellamy looks at players that may have been overlooked and gives them opportunity and his faith. We've been rewarded with some hard workers and I can't say we haven't experienced success.

On the 5/8 topic - I feel that we should let Hampton, Mann or McGahan show us what they have in first grade before we go adding players to our shopping baskets. South Syd are fortunate with Reynolds, but he may not have been given the chance if they were successful in chasing our halfback. Not saying that it's a foolproof strategy, but neither is buying and I think the risk is worth taking.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I for one love the number of players we have who we've brought through the ranks ourselves. I think it is great seeing these guys shine in nyc and then gradually make the steps up to the big show.

Let's take a look at the make up of our current squad in that light:

Came from NYC: 16
Auva'a, J.Bromwich, K.Bromwich, Duffie, Fonua, Griffin, Hampton, Harris, Mann, McGahan, McLean, O'Neill, Proctor, Solomona, Tonumaipea, Widdop

Came through the ranks before NYC: 5
Chambers, Cronk, Hoffman, Slater, Smith

Debuted elsewhere: 11
Blair, Finch, Hinchcliffe, Moors, Norrie, Ryles, Sa'u, Setu, Vave, Waqa, Weston

Recruited from elsewhere but, yet to debut: 2
Garbutt, Glasby

Of those that debuted elsewhere, I would guess that only Hinchy is on any real coin so the rest are probably bargain baseent buys. Of the homegrown boys, the 5 who come from the pre-NYC era are all genuine champions of the club as is Proctor who will probably notch 100 games this year and the next generation looks pretty good led by Jesse Bromwich and Tohu Harris.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

we actually bought smith off the Canberra raiders, his a raiders junior, he only played for there feeder club at the time it was south logan magpies, he couldn't get a run in 1st grade cos of Simon woolford..
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

mattystorm1987 wrote:we actually bought smith off the Canberra raiders, his a raiders junior, he only played for there feeder club at the time it was south logan magpies, he couldn't get a run in 1st grade cos of Simon woolford..
First I've heard of that. To the best of my knowledge he was born in Brisbane, played for Logan Brothers before Storm picked him up and had him play at their feeder club Norths devils. Apparently he was a bit dirty to be overlooked by Brisbane Broncos, where he had always imagined himself to play for as a kid growing up in Brisbane.
But your version might be true, I've never heard of him linked to Canberra before.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I don't think Logan Brothers / Souths Logan were linked with Canberra back then. Cam came through Norths Devils with guys like Cooper, Billy and DJ.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

well when I spoke to bellamy a few years back I asked him about cam n he told me that cam was contracted to the raiders in 2001 n he come up through the raiders system..