Ribot: a blast from past, Storm future forecast

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

He was criticised a decade and a half ago for believing rugby league could be globalised but John Ribot is convinced the new owners of the Melbourne Storm will do just that for the club he founded.

The former chief executive of Super League told Fairfax Media he had met members of the consortium about to take control of the NRL and world champions and was satisfied the Storm would be in good hands after the change of ownership from News Limited.

Ribot said the group included the highest calibre of expertise in marketing and sponsorship and Melbourne sports fans would see the rugby league club break new ground in those areas over the next few years.

"I've been criticised, many years ago, over the globalisation of things. Well, you are clearly seeing that now, our game is being globalised," Ribot said at Brisbane Airport, where he was in transit to Sydney on a business trip.

Advertisement

"That's a great thing for the game and these guys can certainly take it into that arena.

"If the speculation is right, if it's the people who could potentially be involved in this, I think the future for Melbourne Storm is really exciting. From a sports marketing point of view, we're going to be very fortunate. They'll certainly have the potential to become real leaders in our game. It's going to be a win-win for everybody. News, what they've done to date has been great but now it's time to hand the baton over.

"It will go to another level but bring them [News] along for the ride too."

It is expected ownership of the Storm will be transferred this week, with the consortium of English, New Zealand and Australian businessmen having access to more than $20 million in NRL funding, which was guaranteed as part of News' exit.

New chief executive Mark Evans, formerly with Harlequins and Saracens rugby union clubs, is expected back in Australia to finalise the deal.

Initiatives are expected to include tying home matches in with movie premieres, travel packages and public holidays as well as taking games to exotic venues.

On the field, the Storm are expecting some team changes before Monday Night Football at AAMI Park against Manly, with centre Justin O'Neill and interchange player Slade Griffin carrying niggling injuries.

Such is the feeling between the sides that two senior referees, Matt Cecchin and Shayne Hayne, have been appointed to the match.

"Manly are a very aggressive team but all the good teams are aggressive - some in different ways than others," coach Craig Bellamy said. "That's their style of game. We're aware of that. It's about finding a bit more passion for our footy. We've been a bit unexcited about the start of our games."

The Storm have hit a hurdle in their premiership defence over the past fortnight, losing at home to Canberra before suffering a 12-10 loss to the Panthers at Penrith last Sunday night.

For Manly, James Hasson is reportedly on stand-by for the injured Tom Symonds

Not good if they start taking home games away from the genuine supporters
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Initiatives are expected to include tying home matches in with movie premieres, travel packages and public holidays as well as taking games to exotic venues.
This has always been the deal with the arl.The 'independent' arl is NO DIFFERENT !!
You can only safely take games 'off shore' from NON RL States ::)

Different management crew - Same shit :evil:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

super league, in my opinion, had the right idea. It was just the way then went about it that was horrible. The whole thing was a fight for television rights which effectively crippled the game from earning its full potential for over a decade.

Even back then, the ARL administration KNEW that there were too many clubs in Sydney. In 1995 we had a 20 team competition and easily had the greatest coverage nationwide save for Melbourne and Adelaide. Arko and Quayle KNEW clubs would have to merge or fold. Super league just expedited that and got a 15 year ride on the gravy train as a result. They also killed the Crushers on account of owning the Broncos and wanted to maintain that monopoly at all costs and by the time the 2nd team gets installed in Brisbane we have effective lost 20+ years of progress and are only just starting to crawl our way back to. Still, Super League wanted a presence in all capital cities and the key regional centres which, in all honesty as a fan of rugby league, I cannot fault.

As for Ribot, he was critical to our early success and as the public face of super league, copped the abuse and criticism quite unfairly. Love that he championed our cause right through the hard times and up to now.

Look, in my lifetime I would love to see a competitionmaintaining the current 16 clubs plus;

Brisbane 2 (this WILL happen. Make no mistake. Rugby league in Brisbane with the Broncos playing away every week is a HUGE money spinner)
Perth
Central coast (resurrect North Sydney!)
Central Queensland

Two of these will be admitted in time for the next TV rights deal and in the interim I hope it drives up the value and another commercial network takes the rights off Nine. Long term I can almost see a 22 team comp which would mean the 16 plus 4 above plus a second NZ team. The 22nd team might just have to be Port Moresby if they can get the infrastructure right or maybe have another regional team in Darwin.

This has always been my problem; for years there have been groups banging on the door of the NRL demanding a license and all through Gallops tenure it kept getting turned down.

Now that there's a modicum of competency in the form of the ARLC I have no doubt we will see ribots "vision" come to fruition.
Rina
Squall
Squall

They lost me at "Initiatives are expected to include tying home matches in with movie premieres, travel packages and public holidays as well as taking games to exotic venues."

Sounds moronic already. Unless they're to take a home game to Hobart and strengthen our support base there I'm not interested. They way they've worded it makes it sound like we have plans to visit bloody Bali.
Faider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

also if the deal falls between Crown and Us from what i have heard around the forum is that the new CEO has attachments to Etihad which would be a great sponsorship, if you think of the other sports around the world only the best clubs are sponsored by Etihad which would put us on a global scale. Also hopefully not taking too many games away from home :P as what Rina said.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

What's this fascination with clubs taking home games away from their fans?
Even Michael Ennis disagreed with the Bulldogs idea of taking games to Adelaide, Gosford and Mackay.
Each year I try to get to 10 of our 12 home games due to working rotating shift work. Last year I missed the first two due to the membership depts stuff up, and so I was really pissed off!!! Probably missed 3-4 games last year.
So far I've missed none, but my daughter couldn't come to the Bulldags game (Thurs night) and we both can't make it tonight, due to 3am start tomorrow, and her school.
If the club then decides to start playing games elsewhere then it'll no longer be worth buying a membership for my daughter and I. And I'm sure I'm not alone on this.
Faider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

the one thing that really annoys me is that they put Monday night games down here as a lot of people have to drive a fair distance to get into the city and then have to get home as they start work fairly early or they have to take their kids to school. I think definitely more Friday nights instead but from the usual track record only The Broncos get more Friday nights than any other team.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

bulldogs can afford to take home games elsewhere, they have plenty of 'away' games at homebush or within a very short drive to make up for it throughout the year, storm only have 12 games where members/fans can see their side each year.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

bulldogs can afford to take home games elsewhere, they have plenty of 'away' games at homebush or within a very short drive to make up for it throughout the year, storm only have 12 games where members/fans can see their side each year.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Faider wrote:the one thing that really annoys me is that they put Monday night games down here as a lot of people have to drive a fair distance to get into the city and then have to get home as they start work fairly early or they have to take their kids to school. I think definitely more Friday nights instead but from the usual track record only The Broncos get more Friday nights than any other team.
Unfortunately TV stations don't give a crap about fans attending the game, only the ones at home.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ice wrote:
Faider wrote:the one thing that really annoys me is that they put Monday night games down here as a lot of people have to drive a fair distance to get into the city and then have to get home as they start work fairly early or they have to take their kids to school. I think definitely more Friday nights instead but from the usual track record only The Broncos get more Friday nights than any other team.
Unfortunately TV stations don't give a crap about fans attending the game, only the ones at home.
And no doubt there'll be some derogatory remark made about our crowd numbers tonight, with no consideration to it being a cold and wet Monday night.
Faider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Go Storm wrote:
Ice wrote:
And no doubt there'll be some derogatory remark made about our crowd numbers tonight, with no consideration to it being a cold and wet Monday night.
And the usual fans that decide not to attend because we have lost a staggering amount of games (being 2)
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

wait until we see something from the actual people buying the club before we panic about games being moved... I don't see this being a regular thing so will hold off on any judgement.

As for tonight - why does there appear to be panic about crowd numbers? We are averaging nearly 18k this year, and I can't see tonight being less than 12k against the scum
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

It really annoys me when they say our crowd numbers are low. At the moment we are averaging around 17,000 per home grounds. But no one is Sydney is saying how great are crowds are. Tonight if there is a poor crowd they will all say something about it and it does not matter that only around 5500 watched Penrith last Sunday night.
Last edited by glennb on Mon May 20, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

glennb wrote:It really annoys me when they say are crowd numbers are low. At the moment we are averaging around 17,000 per home grounds. But no one is Sydney is saying how great are crowds are. Tonight if there is a poor crowd they will all say something about it and it does not matter that only around 5500 watch Penrith last Sunday night.
Too true, they showed on NRL360 crowd attendances and guess what we were the second highest crowd, not bad for a AFL state.