R10 - Melbourne vs Manly Mon 20/05 7:00pm @ AAMI Park

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I think Fanau was good bringing the ball back from our end and his runs were pretty good, he let in a try but to be honest that could have happened to anyone...I don't see the logic in putting Mahe whose defense is crap in a position that is harder for him to defend in? I think Oniel should just be dropped he offers nothing in defense and his attack is rubbish.

I would go with

Slater
Waqa
Blair
Chambers
Fanua

This is our best back line, oniel will do even less on the wing to be honest and he is no where near as strong and durable as Mahe.

I also agree with getting Finch in the team just to mix things up, widdop actually played better than Cronk last night so i wouldn't be dropping widdop I would move Cronk to the bench and start with Finch and Widdop
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I do not think doing a Wests Tigers trick of starting one of your best players from the bench is the way to go. It did not work for them.

I love how the media is now saying Storm are winless from the last three games. I know it is true, but it sounds like we lost. No one has written or said Manly are now winless from the last two games, apparently Manly had a draw last night. Manly drew last night and Storm were winless, the media is amazing.
Faider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

yeah Widdop didn't go fantastic tonight he did do better but that being said we need Finch in our team for that stability as Cronks performances have been sub par due to all the work he is doing, it's like 90-10 between the two halves.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Never turned on the laptop last night,so here's my take on the game.

Manly's defence was good.VERY good on their goal line.Fortunately for Melbourne Manly's ball control & attack options were ad hoc.
Melbourne's game ? I've read through the 'glowing comments above' ???????????????????
Must have watched a different game to me ?

YES we managed a draw & some players but in a lot of effort but it come down to this.

Structure - Teamwork & the 100% belief that your mate will 'be there' for you appear to have become a foreign language :evil:

Next week The Chooks will be licking their beaks for a carve up - Then a sleeper week - Then the SoO carve up.

Still no confidence or trust from me - STILL not proven wrong >:(
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

scriptyx wrote:widdop actually played better than Cronk last night so i wouldn't be dropping widdop
I wouldn't go that far... That was a bad game by Cronk but what did Widdop offer over Cronk? He must have had superglue on his hands because he didn't even look like passing the ball all night. He bombed a try by being a ball hog and shut down a few other opportunities with a retreating defensive line.

Widdop's running game by far is his best asset so I'm glad he was sticking to that but not at the expense of limited opportunities.

Actually, Widdop did throw one pass from memory, a hospital pass to Cameron Smith. He usually reserves those for Hoffman.
scriptyx wrote:I would move Cronk to the bench and start with Finch and Widdop
Surely you are taking the p*ss!?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

My my my some of us go crazy.

Just as long as its not Bellyache and we'll be fine :P
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

For those who are upset about that optional restart have a look at where he boots it from,2 shit calls in one

Firstly we should've got a penalty from kicking outside the twenty
Secondly the ref called time off then blows full-time
Also to the whiner who called me up on that call,my brother who got married in NZ to his long term partner made it and I relayed it,a homosexual cannot be a homophobe but thanks for playing
I'm sure the one thing we can agree on is the game is an instant classic
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Waqa was a clear stand out for us particularly in the first half. Our first half was again poor, our second half was better in that we were able to get a lot of goal line dropouts and had much better completions but I agree our attack was predictable. I thought Setu looked good while he was on but having him and Moors on for only 23 mins each is a waste.

As for the referees, they were poor both ways. The two penalty goals Manly got were poor decisions Norrie's tackle came up off the shoulder and glanced Foran's head, if that was a penalty there were another 10 for the same thing throughout the match that weren't paid and Rose dropped it like a hot spud. Foran and Waqa both got called for inside the ten chasing kicks when I thought both were just on side.

When Norrie tried to score a try he lost it and they made Manly do a line drop out, it shouldn't have been a 20 metre tap.

Peter Hiku drawing a penalty in the first half from Hoffy was described by Sterlo on Triple M as "the best milking of a penalty I have seen this season" ... aka it was soft.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

4-5 weeks ago, Storm looked the best they've ever been, Storm were pulling out all these sweeping back plays, they had a few new attacking plays, all that seems to have gone. They playing one out, then hoping for a cronk kick to pull off a try.

They looked impatient, kicking early... they don't seem patient enough to even just get to a kick and defend.

Positives > The second half was the best footy they've played for a few weeks, and they did only keep Manly to one try. So that's quite good.

Setu and Blair looked good. They looked fresh. The whole team needs a freshen up. Which they will get at the bye.