Players That Need To Be Dropped

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

After two very poor displays against Canberra and Penrith, there needs to be some changes in the line up. Bellyache can't keep pulling the wool over the eyes of the supporters with his strange selections on the bench and his constant faith in some of his underperforming cattle. Something has to be done, otherwise who knows where we will be on the ladder after Origin (I'm tipping we won't be in the top four if we keep these displays up).

To start with, Widdop and Fonua have to go IMO. They have offered nothing for weeks and their defensive displays are nothing short of ordinary (Bellyache keeps persisting with these two passengers over Finchy and Sa'u). Seriously, we didn't recruit them to keep playing NSW Cup.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not the biggest Sa'u fan at all and I think he'll be found out sooner rather than later but I do agree he should come in for Mahe. I think Mahe has all the ability in the world to be a fine player in the purple jersey but he's making terrible reads in defence and his ball handling is awful atm. I also think its time to bring in Finch for Widdop. Gaz is offering us very little in attack and isn't a great defender either. Finch might liven us up a bit in attack.

Two weeks in a row Craig has named a bench in which I've questioned which I hate doing. From top to bottom we've been below par for some time now.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

whiddop is leaving so start blooding some new talent to give them a taste or the experienced head of finch. im not saying drop whiddop consistently but the coaching staff shouldnt be affraid to drop him for poor form
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I hope he picks that side again next monday night,if penrith can win surely the refs and Melbourne can only put say 20 on us
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry_Poppins wrote:I hope he picks that side again next monday night,if penrith can win surely the refs and Melbourne can only put say 20 on us
Hopefully Manly play like they did last time they played at AAMI Park. You had a big case of the dropsies that night - Watmough, G. Stewart, Taufua and Matai (not to mention the now departed T Rex). If I remember rightly one of Manly's tries (sorry Lyon's tries, he was about your only decent player that night) came from a soft penalty against Sika Manu for a tackle on DCE. So not sure why you mention the refs.

Seriously though the Storm have two big tests the next two weeks - Manly and the Roosters. The Storm will need to pull their socks up. I also don't understand the bench the last two weeks, in our seven wins we normally had 4 forwards with 3 or 4 "bigs" and 0 or 1 "smalls". The last two weeks we have had two "smalls" while Blair and Griffin can both play back row / lock I classify them as both small as is Finch. I thought Lagi Setu had done well for us so I understand if they wanted him to get some more game time in Qld Cup last week but don't know why he wasn't back this week.

Our form has dropped since the Bunnies game and I don't think it is coincidental that both Hinchy and Siosaia Vave were injured in that game.

Hopefully both Manly and the Roosters belt the living suitcase out of each other tonight.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Maybe CB's been a bit conservative injury-wise knowing that we have Manly next Monday night and a ridiculously short turnaround against the Roosters on the Friday night??

And I too don't know where the troll is coming from inferring that we get looked after by the refs. We get screwed every week. And not once have we been allowed a quick tap 20m restart
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Go Storm wrote:Maybe CB's been a bit conservative injury-wise knowing that we have Manly next Monday night and a ridiculously short turnaround against the Roosters on the Friday night??
I don't understand why Badger was holding us up when we wanted a quick tap, everyone of our players was behind the 20 and all the Panthers were set on the 30, yet he held us up for about 15 seconds until he called time on. I've never seen such a delayed start to a 20m restart before.
Faider
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

mattstormy wrote:
Go Storm wrote:Maybe CB's been a bit conservative injury-wise knowing that we have Manly next Monday night and a ridiculously short turnaround against the Roosters on the Friday night??
I don't understand why Badger was holding us up when we wanted a quick tap, everyone of our players was behind the 20 and all the Panthers were set on the 30, yet he held us up for about 15 seconds until he called time on. I've never seen such a delayed start to a 20m restart before.
I just feel even though we played terrible last night from the last 3 games we have been pretty hard done by the refs, especially last week at home.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mattstormy wrote:
I meant to quote the paragraph below this one, yet somehow left it out. Sorry about that.
storma01
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Is it just me or is everyone noticing that o neil is just NOT cutting it as a centre!! Don't get me wrong he is an awesome talent but I just think he would be better served on the wing with either sa'u coming in and drop fonua or give waqa a crack in the centres, I mean he can't be any worse??
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

mattstormy wrote:
mattstormy wrote:
I meant to quote the paragraph below this one, yet somehow left it out. Sorry about that.
Quite simple really, Badger was not in position in the defensive line, so the tap could not be taken. The other ref had crossed into the attacking (Storm) line, but Badger wasn't in position. Took his f*&#ing time getting in position though, thought the two ref system was partly about the refs being less tired and so able to get into position quickly.
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I was only able to listen to this one on the wireless......the commentators mentioned several times the reason badger held up play was so he could get a replay on the previous play (i think to determine if it should be a dropout or 20m tap) I'm pretty sure the replay didn't actually happen though.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

KingHoweofIsrael wrote:I was only able to listen to this one on the wireless......the commentators mentioned several times the reason badger held up play was so he could get a replay on the previous play (i think to determine if it should be a dropout or 20m tap) I'm pretty sure the replay didn't actually happen though.
That was my impression also. He stood on the 20m line saying "just wait" about 3 or 4 times with no intent on making his way back to the 30m line. Still not fair when Penrith were getting quick taps every time.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

yourhero wrote:
KingHoweofIsrael wrote:I was only able to listen to this one on the wireless......the commentators mentioned several times the reason badger held up play was so he could get a replay on the previous play (i think to determine if it should be a dropout or 20m tap) I'm pretty sure the replay didn't actually happen though.
That was my impression also. He stood on the 20m line saying "just wait" about 3 or 4 times with no intent on making his way back to the 30m line. Still not fair when Penrith were getting quick taps every time.
Not sure about any other 20 m taps, but the one involving Billy in the 2nd half sticks in my mind because of Badgers attitude, and the fact he seemed to be in no hurry to get into position. Badger is clearly heard in the TV broadcast telling Billy to wait several times, and explaining he was not ready. The reason he told Billy to wait so many times was because Billy kept trying to take the tap and get on with the game. A few minutes later, I think it was a scrum, Billy was at Badger about it again, Badger repeats he wasn't ready, and warns Billy to be careful.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Badger was clearly only doing it to show his authority. As if to say "I'm in charge you and you can wait until I'm ready" he obviously could've got into position much quicker than he did but just wanted to be a smartarse about it.