R9 - Penrith vs Melbourne Sun 12/05 6:30pm Centrebet Stadium

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

After the loss to Canberra, we really need a few changes to the line-up. I think winning was hiding the weaknesses in the team and it needs to be fixed so we don't head towards a slump. Here is what the line-up should be:

1. Billy Slater
2. Sisa Waqa
3. Will Chambers
4. Junior Sa'u (replaces Justin O'Neill)
5. Mahe Fonua (really needs to work on catching high balls, otherwise his future will be in the back row or in the centres)
6. Brett Finch (replaces Gareth Widdop)
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Cameron Smith (C)
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Tohu Harris

14. Jason Ryles
15. Either Junior Moors/Lagi Setu
16. Mitch Garbutt (if he’s going to make his debut, it should be this round for some extra size and unpredictability)
17. Slade Griffin
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Why is this game on so late for a Sunday
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I think Juzzy is given another week. He wont be dropped imo.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

I agree. He will give O'Neil another week. Also do not be surprised if Widdop is named, but does not play on Sunday.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

imo o'neill n widdop will both play with finch, moors (had his best game for us so far against raiders), ryles, setu on the bench
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

BIG JIM i read somewhere it's somthing to do with the stadium they have to get through 3 games and can't start till 2 pm
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

sallymay wrote:BIG JIM i read somewhere it's somthing to do with the stadium they have to get through 3 games and can't start till 2 pm
it's just part of the win/fox/nrl contract to have 12 sunday twilight games.. it will be like this for the next 5 years.. well that's what warren smith said at the start of the year anyway..
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattystorm1987 wrote:
sallymay wrote:BIG JIM i read somewhere it's somthing to do with the stadium they have to get through 3 games and can't start till 2 pm
it's just part of the win/fox/nrl contract to have 12 sunday twilight games.. it will be like this for the next 5 years.. well that's what warren smith said at the start of the year anyway..
mattystorm1987 is on the mark. The Raiders have already played two or three games in this timeslot and I have been stirring a friend up about 6:30 Sunday being the time the Raiders play all their matches.

If you are in Sydney and are going to the game get along early the Sharks NSW Cup team play at 2:30 followed by the Storm Under 20s and then the main event.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattystorm1987 wrote:it's just part of the win/fox/nrl contract to have 12 sunday twilight games.. it will be like this for the next 5 years.. well that's what warren smith said at the start of the year anyway..
Spot on. We have our own Sunday night slot down here against the Sharks in round 13 next month. Can't say I'm a fan of it.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm sure Craig will pick the suspect players mentioned based on some rigorous training drills this week.
If Justin was half-fit from his jaw injury (and that may have been why Blair was named) then he'll be re-assessed as to whether he's fit to play on Sunday. I doubt he'll be risked again if not 100%
If Finch's fitness and skills are upto NRL standard he should be playing 5/8 (but I doubt he will). He may start off the bench as a utility?? And, if so, hopefully longer than 2 minutes
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ice wrote:
mattystorm1987 wrote:it's just part of the win/fox/nrl contract to have 12 sunday twilight games.. it will be like this for the next 5 years.. well that's what warren smith said at the start of the year anyway..
Spot on. We have our own Sunday night slot down here against the Sharks in round 13 next month. Can't say I'm a fan of it.
Thursday, Sunday and Monday night times lots are just crap. And then they wonder why their crowd numbers are low.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Last weeks bench was one of the weirder ones I've seen Bellamy ever pick. I understand wanting to get Finch some game time
(3 mins was bs though) but naming another utility player against a bigger forward pack didn't make much sense.

My bench this week would be - Finch,Moors, Ryles, Kenny B.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

they could put els vs broncos game on at 6.30 Sunday.that would probably be the yawnfest of the round.
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

official team

Billy Slater
Sisa Waqa
Will Chambers
Justin O'Neill
Mahe Fonua
Gareth Widdop
Cooper Cronk
Jesse Bromwich
Cameron Smith (C)
Bryan Norrie
Kevin Proctor
Ryan Hoffman
Tohu Harris

Jason Ryles
Junior Moors
Maurice Blair
Brett Finch
Slade Griffin
Lagi Setu
Kenneath Bromwich
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Pretty straight forward our team these days.