Widdop or Finchy?? Something Needs To Be Done at 5/8th

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I've been a fan of Gareth Widdop since he became the Storm's first choice five eighth, and I hoped he would become a great in the position like Smith, Slater and Cronk are in their respectful positions, but it's clear that it just isn't working. There have been signs for a while but it has certainly showed after his decision to leave to the Dragons next year. Some might disagree, but surely Finchy, who is a natural five-eighth and not a manufactured one like Widdop needs to be installed in the #6 jersey after Widdop's performance last night. His decision making is erratic and it needs to be rectified as soon as possible. That pass to Waqa and that kick on the first tackle off the scrum win were very strange. Even Cam looked pissed off in the press conference when asked the question about that kick from the scrum. He said he wouldn't have made that decision.

Not that I care what position the Dragons play him, but it is becoming more and more obvious that Widdop just isn't a five-eighth and needs to be moved to fullback next year if he is going to have any impact whatsoever. He is a ball runner, not a playmaker.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mattstormy wrote:That pass to Waqa and that kick on the first tackle off the scrum win were very strange.
I'm mistaken, it was actually an attempted pass to Fonua which went over his head and over the sideline.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hmmmm. It's tough to drop a player who is a key part to the team but Widdop certainly isn't doing any favours for himself this year.

I'm really not sure what the right thing to do is. Maybe start Finch and Bring Widdop off the bench as an impact player.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am not sure what the right thing to do is either but bringing Finchy on with only 2 mins and 45 seconds left is a waste and Widdop is probably more of a utility than Finchy is. I was always a bit sceptical with our bench last night we went from having four forwards all year to two forwards and two backs (I understand Blair can play second row / lock but he is effectively a centre / five eighth). It was quite a small bench. I think we would have been better playing one of Blair or Finch and Kenny.

Mattstormy that kick from Gaz on the first tackle from the scrum was almost like he picked Edrick Lee out and hit him on the chest. Definitely should have run it for three or four tackles and then put the kick in if needed. Lee was obviously back so pass it out to Chambers and Waqa and let them work their magic. It is not like they haven't done it before.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think your criticism of Widdop is a bit harsh, Mattstormy. The way I see it he is a work in progress. Towards the back half of last year he was playing some great footy, but he's still learning. He has no kicking game, but his ball running is getting better.
As I've said before, after another year or two alongside Smith and Coops, and under CB, he could be brilliant. But he's a long way from that now. His kicking game is very poor still and should be practiced off the field, not at critical stages of one. His defence still needs a lot of work too.
It seems to me like the Dragons deal has gone to his head. He must suddenly think he's a great playmaker who's worth $600k a year. But he's not. He's still a work in progress.
If we didn't have Brett Finch on our roster we wouldn't ever even consider dropping Widdop.
But we do.
And if he hadn't played such a poor game last night we wouldn't consider it either.
But he did.
And if he hadn't signed with the Dragons next year we'd persevere with him.
But he did.
I think it's worth seeing what Finch can bring to our team. And being dropped to NSWCup might be the reality check Widdop needs to fight for his position back.
CB dropped Scott Hill when he wasn't performing. Duffy was dropped after a poor showing a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps the same needs to be done with Gareth.
And who knows, Finchy may just be a brilliant addition to the team. He seemed to go ok in 2009 & 10, and would've still been our 6 if it wasn't for the salary cap breach.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Definitely drop Widdop and bring back Finchy. I have held that opinion long before this week.

As I have said elsewhere on here to much criticism and "idiotic" claims (Diehard Storm), persevering with Widdop is potentially worthwhile if he was sticking around for the next 3 - 4 years. It is a long term investment in the ongoing development of a young player... Now that is definitely not happening and Widdop will play elsewhere next year, you have to play the best player in the position.

Can anyone honestly say that Widdop is a better 5/8 than Finchy???

Watch some tapes from 09'. Finchy was one of our best regularly. His passing game and defence is much better than Widdop's and kicking game INFINITELY better. The only area Widdop is better in is his running game. Almost every kick chase Finch was the first Storm player there in defence putting pressure on.
Last edited by yourhero on Sun May 05, 2013 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Finchy has enormous enthusiasm as displayed by his kick chase. Something I noticed last night was he was the first or second Storm player to that scrum with a minute 21 left, showing the enthusiasm to try and stop the click as quickly as possible.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Strange that you highlight Widdop's game. Probably as he is going elsewhere next year. O'Neill's game was far far worse and much more concerning.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote:Strange that you highlight Widdop's game. Probably as he is going elsewhere next year. O'Neill's game was far far worse and much more concerning.
I think most people have been critical of O'Neill and rightly so. He was horrible, no other way to describe it. However I'm not sure how that means Widdop is free from critisism...

Who defends inside O'Neill again by the way?

Ferguson a first try, whilst a bad miss and poor positioning from O'Neill was partly because Widdop let Joel Edwards get past his outside shoulder. O'Neill wasn't sure whether to jam in and hit Edwards or stay out on Ferguson.

No excuses for O'Neill, I was clear in saying that he played exceptionally poorly. I don't believe he is a centre (never have) and he needs to be on the wing.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Scooter wrote:Finchy has enormous enthusiasm as displayed by his kick chase. Something I noticed last night was he was the first or second Storm player to that scrum with a minute 21 left, showing the enthusiasm to try and stop the click as quickly as possible.
It's easy to be enthusiastic when you've only been on the field for a couple of minutes and most of your team mates have put in 78 of them (even if a lot of those minutes were rather lacklustre)... just sayin'. :wink:
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yes, Insomniac, fair point, but, Finchy would be enthusiastic about watching grass grow, he always shows more enthusiasm than everyone else anyway so it probably would've been there regardless.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Yeah, I agree - would love to see him back in the #6 to see if he's still got it at NRL level.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lucas wrote:Strange that you highlight Widdop's game. Probably as he is going elsewhere next year. O'Neill's game was far far worse and much more concerning.
Totally agree that O'Neill had a shocker and i'm sure Bellyache will address that with him and deservedly so. IMO it's pretty clear that Widdop has been below what most know he's capable of this season and that has absolutely nothing to do with him moving on, it's fact. The criticism doesn't just stem from last night, it was far more glaring and that huge mistake may have cost us the game. It also may not have we never had a chance to find out.

One thing i've learnt about this Storm team is that we're never done until the very last second and given we we in such an attacking position so close to the line with a full set i was still very confident we'd score if we had a chance with one of our set plays which the kick clearly wasn't.

That said while i can totally understand some people wanting him to be dropped for Finchy i still don't think we should just at this point. He's more than capable of being in our best 17 and at his best he belongs there in my view but he'd also want to start improving on his form so far this season soon to justify keeping his spot.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think everyone's backed off from criticizing Widdop is because we all realize that he's still young and learning his craft. He's always been an investment for the future.
But that is now someone else's future, not ours. So we should play our BEST 17 for NOW, which has Finch at 6.
There is no point in developing our 2nd best option at the expense of our 1st anymore because by the time he surpasses Finch he'll be a Dragon.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Well heres my 2 cents.
I think Widdop should get a couple of weeks in NSW cup, bring in Finchy and give him a couple of weeks, If finchy is not up to it bring back a refreshed and hopfully rejuvinated Widdop. I think from what players have said they enjoyed playing with Finch a couple of years ago so see if he can bring that spark back.
Also push O'neil out to the wing and give Maha a week or two in NSW cup, this guy is still young and a couple of average games could really knock his confidence. I'd slip Bobby blair into the centres as he will be hungry for first team action.