Widdop or Finchy?? Something Needs To Be Done at 5/8th

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mahe was one of our best last week. No way does he deserve to be dropped. If there wasn't big question marks over his defence at centre, that would resolve all of the issues. Would give O'Neill the chance to defend/contest high balls and still keep Fonua's strong running game in the team.

Obviously Bellamy loves having Fonua in the back three though to allow Slater to offload to a hard running nuggetty winger.

There is no easy answer. O'Neill is a winger, Fonua doesn't deserve to be dropped. *Brain explosion*
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The winning streak kept us from seeing a few weaknesses we had. Widdop has been below par all season (including the WCC) and finally losing has made it more obvious. I don't think Craig will drop him but I do think Finch will see some more playing time off the bench. Really is a sticky situation but it's all about winning games now and Finch might be the better long term option this year.

yourhero wrote:There is no easy answer. O'Neill is a winger, Fonua doesn't deserve to be dropped. *Brain explosion*
Yep. Not sure if Mahe is ready to play in the centres yet though. Really was a strange game. Both centres were caught being on the back foot far too often.

I still think Juzzy has come back too early and was nervous about re-injuring his jaw.
Run Sika Run
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Finchy will take over the #6 jumper in two weeks time at home to Manly.One more game off the bench just to get upto speed.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

UR all crazy acting as if we have lost the last 8 freeking games...pull your head in and stop whinging...have you ever thought that maybe if cam had kicked those two conversions it would've gone to golden point what would've happened then...who knows
But noooo just go on and complain about Gareth just cause he kicked on the first tackle which was according to billy a play he called but was in the wrong position
Where are all the storm supporters gone...one loss and u act like this god I can't imagine what UR gonna be like once the so call big three retire and can't get us out of trouble

By the way I don't think Gareth should be dropped but I do think he needs a good kick up the butt
RANT OVER
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

sallymay wrote:UR all crazy acting as if we have lost the last 8 freeking games...pull your head in and stop whinging...have you ever thought that maybe if cam had kicked those two conversions it would've gone to golden point what would've happened then...who knows
But noooo just go on and complain about Gareth just cause he kicked on the first tackle which was according to billy a play he called but was in the wrong position
Where are all the storm supporters gone...one loss and u act like this god I can't imagine what UR gonna be like once the so call big three retire and can't get us out of trouble

By the way I don't think Gareth should be dropped but I do think he needs a good kick up the butt
RANT OVER
x2 well said sal
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

mattystorm1987 wrote:
sallymay wrote:UR all crazy acting as if we have lost the last 8 freeking games...pull your head in and stop whinging...have you ever thought that maybe if cam had kicked those two conversions it would've gone to golden point what would've happened then...who knows

RANT OVER
x2 well said sal
I disagree. Sally, you've missed the point completely. This has little to do with Gareth's final kick, it was merely the tipping point for many of us DIEHARD SUPPORTERS!!

In 2010 Finchy was our no1 5/8, and if it wasn't for the salary cap he still would be now.
But instead he was forced to go to England, which left us in the position to develop Widdop as our LONG TERM 5/8.
Now that Finch is back Gareth is our no2 5/8 option. However, he has been improving every week and as he is a LONG TERM prospect it has been worth playing him instead of Finch (who is a short term option)
Everything has changed now that Gareth is leaving us at the end of the year. It is no longer in our interests to continue his 'apprenticeship' whilst we have a 'tradesman' kicking arse in reserve grade.

From my perspective, and I reckon I share the same sentiments as most who've posted, this decision is what's best for the team. It has nothing to do with disciplining a 3rd year apprentice for a few average games, and everything to do with picking the BEST AVAILABLE 17 from our squad.

I hope that makes sense. I doubt whether it will happen though????

In Craig I trust
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Winning was hiding a few of our weaknesses.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:Winning was hiding a few of our weaknesses.
Completely agree. While we have been winning, a loss was always going to bring out the weaknesses to everyone's attention. Bellyache needs to pick the BEST 17 every week, and not pick his favourites or players who have been mainstays in their positions who have been out of form. Widdop isn't the only one at risk of being dropped, there are a number of others that need to pull their weight. It's better to fix the problem now instead of at the back end of the season when it could be too late.

Widdop has been below average all year, and his decision making errors the other night was the final straw. I'm not saying drop him for the rest of the year, but to let him know that he needs to earn his spot in the side if he is going to put in poor performances week after week.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:
blazza18 wrote:Winning was hiding a few of our weaknesses.
Completely agree. While we have been winning, a loss was always going to bring out the weaknesses to everyone's attention. Bellyache needs to pick the BEST 17 every week, and not pick his favourites or players who have been mainstays in their positions who have been out of form. Widdop isn't the only one at risk of being dropped, there are a number of others that need to pull their weight. It's better to fix the problem now instead of at the back end of the season when it could be too late.

Widdop has been below average all year, and his decision making errors the other night was the final straw. I'm not saying drop him for the rest of the year, but to let him know that he needs to earn his spot in the side if he is going to put in poor performances week after week.
+1 To everything.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:I disagree. Sally, you've missed the point completely. This has little to do with Gareth's final kick, it was merely the tipping point for many of us DIEHARD SUPPORTERS!!

In 2010 Finchy was our no1 5/8, and if it wasn't for the salary cap he still would be now.
But instead he was forced to go to England, which left us in the position to develop Widdop as our LONG TERM 5/8.
Now that Finch is back Gareth is our no2 5/8 option. However, he has been improving every week and as he is a LONG TERM prospect it has been worth playing him instead of Finch (who is a short term option)
Everything has changed now that Gareth is leaving us at the end of the year. It is no longer in our interests to continue his 'apprenticeship' whilst we have a 'tradesman' kicking arse in reserve grade.

From my perspective, and I reckon I share the same sentiments as most who've posted, this decision is what's best for the team. It has nothing to do with disciplining a 3rd year apprentice for a few average games, and everything to do with picking the BEST AVAILABLE 17 from our squad.

I hope that makes sense. I doubt whether it will happen though????
Well said, completely agreed.

Some people will always argue that certain negative opinions about your team are out-of-bounds. Suggesting a player be dropped is regularly one... Like it somehow makes you "less" of a fan... Hardly. I love this team however I don't just come on here to say, "Yay, go Storm!". I enjoy discussing our weekly line-up, our best 17, who we should/shouldn't buy, what are plans should be for the future.

I won't always agree with everyone on here and I won't always agree with who we pick to play every week. But I enjoy the discussion/debate.

It is not as if the critisisms of Gareth are unfounded. Or new for that matter. in the past things have been let go with little mention because it was all a part of the "building" process. investment for the future.

A number of Storm fans hold the opinion that Finch is the best option at 5/8. He is proven in Storm colours and IMO a better 5/8.
sallymay wrote:pull your head in
sallymay wrote:stop whinging
sallymay wrote:Where are all the Storm supporters
With all due respect Sal, that's not fair. Fellow Storm fans (and yes, we are fans) are entitled to an opinion. Much like when you complained about Setu and Griffen making way for Finch and Moors. I agree but even if I didn't I wouldn't question your loyalty over a selection opinion.
Go Storm wrote:In Craig I trust
Always! No matter who runs out, they will have every ounce of my support.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Neilson was dropped to NSW cup last year after 2 or 3 below par performances and came back better and more focused. Same could happen with Gareth.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

RANT OVER
I agree with most of this Sallymay, what if Cam had not missed those 2 goals ?? who knows what would have happened , Cooper you would think would then have either taken a field goal or set up another try!!! but he didn't so the thing then comes back down to Widdops's brain explosion, why would anybody give up the ball with so much at stake and 5 tackles up their sleeve??? well only he knows that, we can only guess and stand there mouthing WTF. I don't believe for one minute that he should be dropped, but in saying that I am more than curious to see what Finchy can bring to this team, he has no aspirations of leadership or furthering his career as a player, he just has enthusiasm, and that is really needed right now.
it seems to me that Gareth Widdop is leaving Melbourne Storm to fullfill a more leadership role, in fact he has said just that, and I feel he resents Cam and Coops for denying him that, and I really don't feel there is any love lost there, I could be wrong, but that is the way I see it. I like Gareth I always have, but if he feels it is time to go , then so be it, but he has a job to do with the team is is contracted to at the moment, and he needs to settle that in his mind.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

This may be a really stupid question, but could someone with a better understanding of positional play tell me why Widdop could/couldn't/should/shouldn't play in the centres? So, something like...

1. Slater
2. Waqa
3. Chambers
4. Widdop
5. O'Neill
6. Finch...

I know this would never happen, but would it be a terrible idea? If so, why?
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Insomniac wrote:This may be a really stupid question, but could someone with a better understanding of positional play tell me why Widdop could/couldn't/should/shouldn't play in the centres? So, something like...

1. Slater
2. Waqa
3. Chambers
4. Widdop
5. O'Neill
6. Finch...

I know this would never happen, but would it be a terrible idea? If so, why?
cos he has poor defence..