STORM vs Raiders Rd 8

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why we only played two forwards on the bench beats me. Definitely not one of Bellamy's best decisions. Also, Gareth Widdop is one or two more bad games away from being demoted to reserves grade. He was horrible tonight.
Monsoon
Monsoon

Widdop was woeful again, he can just leave now for all i care.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Horrible edge defence. Just horrible. With the exception of two tackles in the second half, O'Neill was out of position EVERY time the Raiders put on a backline movement down our left edge.

O'Neill is not a centre in any sense of the word. He is a world class winger and that's where he should play. Firms up the question mark every time a bomb goes to Fonua's wing as well as gives us a real threat in the air when on the attack.

Chambers attempt on Wighton was disgraceful. First contact was about 16 metres off the try line and he still got over.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:I don't know what Widdop was doing kicking on the first tackle when we had a scrum 20m out with 2 minutes to go... That killed me more than anything. Use the whole f*cking set and if you can't break the line, THEN put it up. FMD.

Just un-Melbourne like. Rushing. Panicked. Trying to pull the trigger on every play.
So much this. Summed up our night that kick.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1999 wrote:Widdop was woeful again, he can just leave now for all i care.
I'm almost getting to this stage too.
Insomniac
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As soon as I saw our confirmed bench I had a terrible feeling we were going to lose this game - a total lack of respect for the Raiders to weaken our bench with Finch & Blair instead of forwards. I cannot believe that call from Bellamy, especially against a big Raiders pack (albeit missing a few). In the end, what exactly was the point of giving Finch a few minutes?

Our heads weren't in it, and when you're up against a confident Raiders team (against us anyway), not to mention questionable ref calls (or no calls - seriously, how many times did the Raiders keep moving forward off the mark when playing the ball, or just lay around on our players after a tackle... oh, and if the Raiders can't score, I'll just pull another penalty out of my arse!), it just proves that you need more than skill (and 10 minutes of intensity) to win this game.

Overall, a pathetic effort. My sportsbet account looks a little healthier though.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Insomniac wrote:As soon as I saw our confirmed bench I had a terrible feeling we were going to lose this game - a total lack of respect for the Raiders to weaken our bench with Finch & Blair instead of forwards. I cannot believe that call from Bellamy, especially against a big Raiders pack (albeit missing a few). In the end, what exactly was the point of giving Finch a few minutes?

Our heads weren't in it, and when you're up against a confident Raiders team (against us anyway), not to mention questionable ref calls (or no calls - seriously, how many times did the Raiders keep moving forward off the mark when playing the ball, or just lay around on our players after a tackle... oh, and if the Raiders can't score, I'll just pull another penalty out of my arse!), it just proves that you need more than skill (and 10 minutes of intensity) to win this game.

Overall, a pathetic effort. My sportsbet account looks a little healthier though.
THIS. I had a similar feeling. I'm confused as to why Bellamy tinkered with a winning formula - it's not something he usually does.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Widdop should be dropped to reserves for that bollocks. Woeful. The Dragons will be a great fit for him.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I noticed after Widdop kicked that last ball on the first tackle he looked out to our centres/wingers throwing his arms up in the air as if to say what the feck are you doing not chasing when the rest the whole crowd were saying (and no doubt the rest of the team) were saying why the feck did you kick it.

While we'll never know for sure we were still a massive chance of scoring and winning the game being that close with so little time left and i was still very confident we would before that kick.
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

As Widdop kicked that ball on the first Smith put his hands in the air. If Smith did not know that Widdop was going to kick it was not a play that was called. Widdop did it on his own and it was the wrong call. He has not really played well all season and Finch has been staring in the NSW cup. The answer in pretty clear.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

That play from Widdop was quite possibly the worst single play I've ever seen by a Storm player. I was shocked. The crowd were shocked. The Raiders couldn't believe it.

Lets just hope this is the loss the gets the rust off...as this loss was indeed coming. You could tell.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ashley Klein got Man of the Match.

I bet the Dragons are thinking WTF have we paid so much $$$ for. That kick off the scrum win was just stupid, especially considering nobody was expecting it. It did not look like a rehearsed play.
Even Coopers kicking game has been a bit off just recently. In the early rounds we either scored or got a repeat set off every kick, now there's not much happening and no 40/20's.
Kick chasing was almost non-existent tonight. The whole team fairly much looked a bit lacklustre. Slater seemed to be the only one showing any real urgency, but even his pass to Fonua's bootlaces cost us a try.
Defence was woeful!!
I can't understand the idea of playing Finchy and Blair against a sizable pack like Canberra. I was stunned when they announced the team. And Finchy was only used in the last 3 minutes or something anyway. What was the point?

Hopefully this was the loss we needed. It was still a close result with atrocious refereeing. Why didn't the video ref overturn the touchies decision when Campese put the ball into touch close to our line? I've seen those decisions overturned before.

GO STORM!!!!
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

The video ref did not over rule the decision, because the on field ref (Klein) ruled Campese did not play at the ball. Can someone tell me how the Riaders got the plenty in the first half when we took they player in to touch. We sit down the other end and I could not work it out. Someone said it was for us being offside and then I was told it was because we dragged him over the line.

Also, Widdop's pass to Mahe that sailed over his head into touch cost us a certain try. Duffie got dropped after letting in those tries against Brisbane. Widdop should be dropped for that pass and that kick.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

glennb wrote:Also, Widdop's pass to Mahe that sailed over his head into touch cost us a certain try. Duffie got dropped after letting in those tries against Brisbane. Widdop should be dropped for that pass and that kick.
That pass was shocking... We had limited opportunities and needed to stick the relatively simple stuff. All the hard work to create the overlap had been done inside Widdop. He just couldn't deliver the pass (or even go close).
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Something quite drastic needs to be done. If it was my decision I'd drop Widdop for Finch. And I'd drop Fonua, and play Blair inside O'Neil.
I'd definately bring a couple of the bigger boys back on the bench.