STORM vs Raiders Rd 8

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mattstormy wrote: Widdop was pathetic, I hope Bellyache drops him on the back of his kick on the first tackle off the scrum with only a couple of minutes to go. Him signing for with the Dreelers has taken his confidence away completely and is making wild decisions (his pass to Waqa so close to the sideline which led him getting bundled into touch was a very poor one).
Actually I was wrong about the pass to Waqa, I think Billy did that pass to Waqa whereas Widdop's one was an attempt to pass to Fonua, yet it sailed over the sideline.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

glennb wrote:I would drop O'Neil before Founa. He missed so many tackles tonight and two of them were tries. Ben Ikin said of Fox Sports News that Craig spoke to the players on the ground after the match. I did see the circle of players and thought they stayed out there for a long time. But Craig does not usually address the team on the ground. Did Ikin get it right?
Wow, if that's true that is certainly new for Bellyache. I know we only lost by four points (Cam's poor goal kicking cost us a close match yet again, like Cronulla last year at Shark Park), but I don't think he's ever done that and address the players on the field after the match.
Diehard_Storm
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

No way I'd drop Fonua. I love his strong runs, and his courage. He set up a try last night and scored another and ran for over 100m.

Yes he dropped a sitter, but you can't blame him for the Widdop pass at his toes.

It's one loss folks...no need to over-react. How the players respond to a bad showing will be key.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mahe is just your typical young winger atm. He does things at 100 miles an hour so he's going to make some mistakes. But his ball running out of dummy half coming out of our half is awesome and always puts us on the front foot.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Diehard_Storm wrote:No way I'd drop Fonua. I love his strong runs, and his courage. He set up a try last night and scored another and ran for over 100m.

Yes he dropped a sitter, but you can't blame him for the Widdop pass at his toes.

It's one loss folks...no need to over-react. How the players respond to a bad showing will be key.
I wouldn't drop Fonua. He does make a couple of mistakes a game but his running out of defence is great. That pass at his toes was from Billy not Gaz.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry_Poppins wrote:Would you people eat your young so fast if they made a mistake? probably by the goings
on in this thread,a half made a dumb mistake at an awful time,but so did Cronk seconds
earlier,his kick was raiders Orford-esque,but he is allowed to do that because his not leavin
yeah?

I seen a certain someone make a dumb choice last week but im not glad he's leaving
Welcome back Cherry Poppins. There is a bit of eating our young fast on this thread. However, I think the frustration is coming from the fact that we haven't been playing well despite winning. Our game v the Rabbitohs was very good but apart from that we have had average games v Bulldogs, Tigers and Warriors that we have managed to either just hold onto at the end or just pull out of the fire.

I still thought we might be able to do that with 1 minute 21 to go until Widdop's kick.

You are probably right that Widdop is copping more heat for mistakes because he is leaving. That may be unfair. Also though Cronk, Slater and Smith have more runs on the board than Widdop as well, so that also allows those players some slack for some bad decisions.

We have to remember that we are 7 wins and 1 loss. If we were given that at the start of the year we would have taken it.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Scooter wrote:
Cherry_Poppins wrote:Would you people eat your young so fast if they made a mistake? probably by the goings
on in this thread,a half made a dumb mistake at an awful time,but so did Cronk seconds
earlier,his kick was raiders Orford-esque,but he is allowed to do that because his not leavin
yeah?

I seen a certain someone make a dumb choice last week but im not glad he's leaving
Welcome back Cherry Poppins. There is a bit of eating our young fast on this thread. However, I think the frustration is coming from the fact that we haven't been playing well despite winning. Our game v the Rabbitohs was very good but apart from that we have had average games v Bulldogs, Tigers and Warriors that we have managed to either just hold onto at the end or just pull out of the fire.

I still thought we might be able to do that with 1 minute 21 to go until Widdop's kick.

You are probably right that Widdop is copping more heat for mistakes because he is leaving. That may be unfair. Also though Cronk, Slater and Smith have more runs on the board than Widdop as well, so that also allows those players some slack for some bad decisions.

We have to remember that we are 7 wins and 1 loss. If we were given that at the start of the year we would have taken it.
And the fact we have a proven champion 5/8 killing it each week in the NSWCup.

I wonder if the grubs would persevere with Widdop, or another work in progress, whilst Foran played in a lower grade each week?
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

yourhero wrote:Tohu Harris - 114 metres (most of any Storm forward), 37 tackles, 0 missed tackles, 0 errors, 0 penalties conceded.

Total workhorse and another huge game. Great effort big fella!
For the record, Harris' stats have been revised to;

129 metres (most of any forward in the GAME), 40 tackles, 0 missed tackles, 0 errors, 0 penalties conceded.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

He's been getting better every week. Broke the line 5 or 6 times last night. Looking dangerous.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Go Storm wrote:
Scooter wrote:
yeah?

And the fact we have a proven champion 5/8 killing it each week in the NSWCup.

I wonder if the grubs would persevere with Widdop, or another work in progress, whilst Foran played in a lower grade each week?

Comparing Foran and Finch

yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry_Poppins wrote:
Go Storm wrote:And the fact we have a proven champion 5/8 killing it each week in the NSWCup.

Comparing Foran and Finch

Obviously the point to the comparison flew straight over your head. Understandable, you support the scum. Intelligence is not a particularly prevalent trait.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

you have to remember Chez that we aren`t used to losing. I am 100% confident my CHAMPION TEAM will do us proud next week.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

stormy wrote:you have to remember Chez that we aren`t used to losing. I am 100% confident my CHAMPION TEAM will do us proud next week.
I can say im not used to losing either,i just dont berate my players over stupid decisions regardless of them being there the next year or not,whilst Kite has been a great clubman for Manly i havent helped but to become frustrated with his lack of hard runs against teams not named Melbourne,against Melbourne he is still the same player that won the Clive Churchill also against Melbourne,has a bit of a ring like shape to it that does

What Widdop did pales in comparison to what Kite did,but its hard to blame either of these numbskulls when a game goes for 80 minutes and these
2s mistakes were done within the blink of an eye,at least Widdop is ALLOWED to kick,imo any front rower trying his hand with his foot is a complete
spastic and should have a leg removed

Also,Finch is a poor mans Soward whilst Foran can be compared to many greats but cuts his own path to said greatness,dont get me wrong he isnt a great yet but i expect him to become one as i do Widdop and both the Reynolds boys,but seriously the bloke is already the captain of his country,the second best rugby league nation in the world,has Finch reached such a high regard that he's allowed to captain the StormSharks or whatever retarded name they have?

Apples and Steaks are being compared

Yes they play the same position but so does Moltzen and Slater/Stewart/Inglis,but i'd not compare Moltzen to either of those 2 either,Stewart and Slater are comparable to eachother because they both play the same kind of game and have the same flashes of brilliance,one with raw speed the other with raw brains and defensive brilliance,but i'd compare neither to Inglis either who just uses muscle and speed,we can have a preference in which we have which is lucky because we both have the number ones we both want and wouldnt trade them for any other one,both bleed for respective jerseys and stay loyal through good and bad,but both want to be paid fairly and i can understand that,Inglis is more about not boarding a plane in the rain and cashing in on his own brilliance

Also on Finch isn't even remotely qualified to lace Widdops jockstrap,let alone the kid whose i'd say a little ahead of Widdop at this stage in their respective careers,but mark my words Widdop isn't too far off Foz and i expect them to be equals,such is the regard i hold for Widdop
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

You cant compare Stewart to Slater....Slater wipes the floor with him...or was that Mick Croker?

Also I agree Widdop shouldn't be dropped ...Finch has been gone for to long and to be honest NSW cup and NRL are worlds apart. Widdop will continue to play 5/8th and finch will come in over origin and if he can show us what he can do in those games then i am all for dropping Gareth
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think we now have a new bogey team.
We seem to have put the Warriors to rest for now, but Canberra continue to do a number on us.