Storm & Raiders negotiating for a game in China

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

TC wrote:John Ribot - Prophet?
We Have Come Far Pilgrim ;)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Go Storm wrote:So the sellout begins!!

I hope they pay my airfare or reduce my membership cost.
And nice to see their concern for player welfare travelling all the way to China (from our winter to their summer). As if WCC's, rep games and poor scheduling aren't bad enough on the players.

Ron Gauci, if this is true, you've just lost my respect as our CEO.
Ditto
steaming stormer
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I can't understand why some people think the club should therefore pay for supporter airfares, etc. It's a Canberra initiative - therefore a Canberra home game is my understanding.
Therefore, no difference in membership costs or anything else as it's already a game that is not included in memberships :?

I agree we need to focus on building the market in Melbourne, but, if the research has been done and shows that the potential financial impacts of playing an away game in China are massive, and reality is the Chinese economy is expected to overtake the US in 2 years, then it's possibly massive money we're talking regarding sponsorships etc, our CEO would be negligent in his duties if he didn't explore it.

It's not about trying to sell the club to China - but there are potentially huge positives for solidifying the future financial stability of our club, which in turn ensures the club's long term survival, which I am sure we all agree is paramount.

Just my opinion of course
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Bourbon Rat wrote:
TC wrote:John Ribot - Prophet?
We Have Come Far Pilgrim ;)
It has been a long journey grasshopper
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I'm all for it provided it's a Canberra home game (which it probably will be) and it's properly worked into the draw by the NRL (with appropriate breaks before and after - which I'm sure they'll do). By now our coaching and medical staff know how to deal with an international trip and all kinds of poor scheduling - they can handle a trip to China. Also, we all know how proud the players were to represent the club in the UK earlier this year - I'm sure this would be no different for them. The trip could open up all sorts of new sponsorship opportunities going forward - it's already hard enough for clubs to get sponsors.

It would be a bit of a spectacle - I'd love to see an NRL game played in China (any team against Canberra to be honest) if only for the novelty of it all. It'd be quite a thing to see.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I don't see why it has to be a season game. Surely an off season match would have the same appeal.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

+1
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

It would be far too difficult to schedule such a game mid season. The rep games already absorb such a huge chunk of any scheduling leverage.

Any game like this would have to be a pre-season trial game. Sorry Geelong