Storm 'D'

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

we need the storm D

80% of the game the casual spectators are having their own conversation while there are only several pods of vocal supporters.

nothing wrong with getting the crowd awake and involved, plus the cheerleaders need to dance!
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I've been to a few away games - never let the PA guy start a chant!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I thought Tahir (I think that's his name) did a good job of entertaining the crowd pre-match, and revving up the Parra supporters at a game I attended in 2011.
The current PA guy seems to have no personality, idea about the game, or passion for Storm (just my observation).

But my suggestion of a chant was more a crowd-based thing.
The Dragons supporters sing "when the saints come marching in" which is unique to their club wherever they play. I noticed Leeds use "Walk on", which would've been appropriate for us back in 2010.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

raindrops keep falling on my head? lol
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm D needs to go the way of Arthur Higgins and James Sherry and pronto.

I don't think the players need the crowd to motivate them to defend.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:Storm D needs to go the way of Arthur Higgins and James Sherry and pronto.

Arthur Higgins, now that's a blast from the past. That old bloke who wouldn't shut up and sounded like he was going to collapse. As well as that his knowledge of rugby league was pretty limited and he constantly called the players the wrong names.

Why is it we have never had the best ground announcers in the league over the last 16 years?
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

mattstormy wrote:
LESStar58 wrote:Storm D needs to go the way of Arthur Higgins and James Sherry and pronto.

Arthur Higgins, now that's a blast from the past. That old bloke who wouldn't shut up and sounded like he was going to collapse. As well as that his knowledge of rugby league was pretty limited and he constantly called the players the wrong names.

Why is it we have never had the best ground announcers in the league over the last 16 years?
It'd really only take a genuine supporter with a fun personality. The rest would come pretty naturally I reckon.
The recent choices don't seem to have any real clue about rugby league and don't come across as genuine supporters. It's just a job.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sallymay or Bourbs would be great for the job of day announcer.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:

Limited knowledge? How about half of fark all which is nothing. His attempts at radio broadcasting on 3AK in 1998-99 were beyond the pale.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Go Storm wrote:
mattstormy wrote:

It'd really only take a genuine supporter with a fun personality. The rest would come pretty naturally I reckon.
The recent choices don't seem to have any real clue about rugby league and don't come across as genuine supporters. It's just a job.
The female host last Monday night asked one of the people she was interviewing 'So is this your first time to the rugby?'.
Nuff said.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

when watching other games on the tele, you can hear the ground announcers prattling on most of the game, the guy at Manly never shuts up, then you have the FKN annoying drummers in NZ, at The Sharks games they play the "jaws" music when the sharks are on the attack , then the cowboys just play Music most of the time, last week they kept playing Neil Diamond's " Sweet Caroline". So on the whole I don't think ours is that bad, but I do agree with the Storm 'D' it is bloody annoying and absolutely not needed.
I don't see why Robbie Kearns can't do it, every body likes him and he certainly knows what he is on about !!!
mahoobla
Squall
Squall

I went to the Storm v Broncos game at Suncorp a couple of weeks ago and the Broncos had this thing called the 'Rally Towel' which looked like a face washer and the fans were supposed to wave it in the air when the Broncos were attacking to fire them up - I thought it was ridiculous!

I also went to the Rabbitohs game on the weekend and one thing I noticed from both of these away games is that when a try is scored (by the home team) a fun little video is played on the big screen of the player who scored the try - doing a dance or whatever - it was something different. I would love to see that at Storm!

It is interesting to go to away games and see how the other teams work the crowd.

Cheers

Julie
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

The rally towel for broncos is supposed to be like storm D - to rally them in defence, but to me it seems like cheering for the away team. The graphic that appears on the big screen is somewhere between hilarious and cringeworthy.

The ground announcer at the Titans game tries to start a chant which does entertain the kids but everyone else at the ground cringes.

I do love to see what teams do well at their home games. The titans always seem to have hundreds of cheer kids on the field that add a real family atmosphere that I like, and their cheer girls do more american style cheers which my young niece loves.

Also they had fireworks, and we then went to the home game v tigers and I realised that we haven't had real fireworks for ages.

I love these things that keep our game different than afl and keep the kids interested by having other little things going on during a match.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Funny I hadn't realized the fireworks were missing last week either. Infact I think they've been missing all year. That's a real shame because they were the hook that got my daughter coming to night games, not just day games which we get few of, when she was 4.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

The rally towel is a very American thing. It really only works when everyone in the crowd is waving it. It looks great when done properly but I can't see it catching on in Australia.