Chambers... a get out clause?

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree Chambers must be kept but not at all costs. Chambers and Juzzy are one of the best centre pairings in the NRL. After those two guys our centre stocks really dip. Sa'u and Blair are good for depth but they aren't regular first graders.

I understand Will wanting a better contact and I think that is fair enough. But he already knows what life is like not in a purple jersey.

Hopefully both he and the club come come to terms otherwise we might have to get onto the market for a new centre.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Chambers,(along with a few others) tried the attractive grass they saw elsewhere & found it rather tasteless & in some cases poisonous. Being respected & cared for is more lasting than the fast dirty dollar ;)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattystorm1987 wrote:i have been told chambers is following widdop to dragons.. don't no how true it is tho not the best source... I just hope storm don't do to chambers what they did to widdop.. as in making him a offer n after 2 weeks they rang him n gave him a 48hr deadline to re-sign so widdop rang them back 2hrs later n declined the offer.. playing hard ball isn't going to work with this new salary cap..

If that's the way it went down then i don't have any issue with it and don't see it as playing hard ball, it's just the nature of the business these days. When a player who's getting offered decent money prolongs negotiations it has a flow on affect in regards to other players retention and in this case Chambers and O'Neill. It's all well and good for Widdop or any other player wanting more time, but when that's happening no doubt the other off contract players managers are shopping them around/fielding other offer while waiting for the Storm to get back to them with their offer.

I'm sure the Widdop negotiations impacted how much they can offer Chambers dependent on if Widdop stayed or not. Now he's left there's obviously more money to spare and Storm would have a much better idea on what they can afford to offer now that Widdop turned us down. The team and club doesn't revolve around one player and the longer that player holds things up the more it affects other players sorting out their futures as well as us retaining other required players.

Besides, if Widdop did get a deadline of 28 hours after the initial 2 weeks and turned us down only 2 hours later then clearly we weren't offering him enough to stay. He had the 2 offers in front of him knowing exactly what they were both worth and IMO 2 weeks is plenty of time to make a decision. Given he made up his mind in such a short space of time (2 hours) i highly doubt there was any chance he was going to stay regardless of any deadline there may have been. If he left because he got pissed solely because we imposed a deadline then in all honestly i'd rather not have someone at the club who didn't want to stay for such a petty reason.

That said i don't think that would've been the case and i think he left because the Dragons made him a much more lucrative offer than we could and given he has a young family to look after then i don't think anyone can blame him.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

re-signed till end of 2017 baby!
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Chambers has inked a new contract ensuring he will be with the Storm until the end of 2017. Fantastic news! Throughout 2012 Will was phenomenal for us and as he showed against the Warriors, he is not planning on sitting back and relaxing with the success of 2012.

So pumped we have managed to hold onto Chambers.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY
KingHoweofIsrael
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Great news - I've always thought highly of Will, I was stoked when he came back..equally stoked today!
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Super stoked Will has decided to re-commit to the club till the end of 2017. He was one of my favourite players during his first stint with us and was devastated when he opted to try his hand at Union so I'm very happy with the news that he will be spending at least another 4 years with the club. Hopefully he gets rewarded for his great form with an Origin jumper this season - there is a vacant spot with Danger out injured.

I also have a man-crush for him, just quietly.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:

I also have a man-crush for him, just quietly.
x 2.... :shock2:
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
mattystorm1987
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

thank f##k for that.. norrie,fonua,waqa,kenny b,griffin and sa'u next plz!!
storm77
Squall
Squall

Couldn't be happier. However I do hope it is for a good reasonable price because we have other guy's we have to be looking to keep as well.
Brian
Squall
Squall

He got out of hid current contract and signed a new one for the Storm :-D
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Wonderful news. Very happy.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

My day was so much better cos Will signed for us..Paris is great but Will signing made my day.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

O'Neill is the next priority signing, surely...