Players That Should Have Stayed But Left

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Since there is not much happening in the off-season, I thought I might do some flashbacks and lists of things about the Melbourne Storm (last year I did the Top 20 Blast from the Past). Here is a Top 5 list of Players that should have stayed at the Storm, but were either pushed out of the club or left at their own accord:

5. Steve Bell (107 Games – 2001-05) – Probably one of the most underrated outside backs of the last 20 years, Bell made his first grade debut with the Storm at age 24. He was a try sneak who could sniff out a try from almost anywhere on the field (he was the club’s top try scorer in 2004 with 18). Left along with Matt Orford to Manly in 2006, where he played in the 2007-08 Grand Finals against the Storm, winning in 2008. He then went to Super League to play for Catalans in 2009.

4. David Kidwell (103 Games – 2003-06) – One of the best players to come to the Storm, Kidwell only missed two games in four seasons with the Storm. In 2006 (at only 29), if I recall he was (like Scott Hill) unfairly shafted and left to finish his career at South Sydney. Now he is an assistant coach with the Storm.

3. Ben MacDougall (22 Games – 2004) – The Mad Pup was a terrific signing in 2004, and he could have made a name for himself if he had have stayed and not gone to play Scottish Rugby Union. I remember all the tackle busts and line breaks he made and he knew how to put on a good tackle as well.

2. Aaron Moule (104 Games – 1998-2003) – Moule was the club’s top try scorer in 2001 ( 15 tries - equal with Matt Orford) and 2002 (17 tries), but sensationally walked out on the club at only 25 by claiming he was retiring due to injuries, but in 2004 he went to England to play for Salford (where he played until his retirement at the end of 2007).

1. Scott Hill (177 Games – 1998-2006) – I reckon Scotty was unfairly shafted. I remember in 2006 (in what was his best season for the club) he was dropped to the NSW Cup after he got suspended for accidentally bumping the referee. I think he knew that his time at the club was coming to an end when he walked out before his contract expired (and he was only 29 then – roughly the same age as the Cam, Billy and Cooper). Imagine if he stayed at the Storm until around 2009-10 (at about age 32-33). With his experience and ball playing skills, having him play more with the likes of Hoffy and GI outside him would have made the Storm an even better side than what it was back then (no wonder we finished on top of the ladder in ’06). After Scotty left after the ’06 GF, 5/8 was the only position that Bellyache struggled to fill until Finchy came along (the GI experiment wasn’t a failure, but he was constantly targeted by the opposition and couldn’t play at his brilliant best, which is why Bellyache often shifted him into the centres during matches while he wore the #6 jersey).
Brian
Squall
Squall

Scott Hill had a brilliant football brain and was always thinking well ahead of the play.This brought him undone at times with his team mates around him not being able to read the game at his level.great player and nice bloke to boot
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Mad Pup a "terrific signing"? Bit of an embellishment there :D

Aaron Moule pissed me off no end with his 'retirement' and then miraculous re-emergence soon after. Before that he was one of my favs.

Kirk Reynoldson absolutely deserves to be in this thread. Was so damn promising, but then went to Newcastle and turned to shit. Ryan Tandy as well, was very handy for us for a short period of time before giving us the arse to play for Canterbury and we all know what happened then!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Matt King. Still the player I want most to come back.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Brett Kimmorley
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Lucas wrote: Kirk Reynoldson absolutely deserves to be in this thread. Was so damn promising, but then went to Newcastle and turned to shit.
I forgot all about Ned Kelly, unfortunately his career ended up getting lost in his beard. He was signed by Newcastle to a long term deal and he never lived up to expectations and he left to finish his career at St. George Illawarra. Could have been a star forward for us if he stayed.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Steve Turner, Mick Crocker, Dallas Johnson
Storm4Life
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Greg Inglis and Israel Folau if there wasn't a salary cap.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

GI left cause of the cap but Izzy left cause he wanted to go home.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:GI left cause of the cap but Izzy left cause he wanted to go home.
Izzy left for the money, plain and simple. I don't care if players leave a club and they say they are leaving for the money. It is when they leave due to making an excuse they are homesick (like Izzy when he went to Brisbane) and then leave to go to GWS and play in the AFL (having never played Australian Rules before) for millions of dollars two years later, that is what pisses me off.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Agreed. Izzy had dollar signs in his eyes and that clearly was his only motivation. When he takes his millions from the AFL and runs he'll end up back in the NRL to the highest bidder.

I also don't have any issue in taking care of yourself financially, just don't leave under the guise of it being anything else. I and i'm sure virtually all of us didn't begrudge Sika or Blair one bit leaving for a big pay day. The money offered to them was too good to refuse and they made no secret of that fact and left with everyone's blessing.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Wasn't Izzy still under contract and we released him to be "closer" to family ?
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

blazza18 wrote:Wasn't Izzy still under contract and we released him to be "closer" to family ?
Yes that was the case. Despite what anyone says this was the exact reason.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

blazza18 wrote:Wasn't Izzy still under contract and we released him to be "closer" to family ?
No. He was signed with us until the end of 2008 and went to Brisbane the following year.
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Freshy wrote:
Yes that was the case. Despite what anyone says this was the exact reason.
I don't know how to edit using the mobile phone?

But my message was in reply to him leaving to go back to QLD for family reasons, not money.