Do we need a new logo? (Now with added poll)

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

Does Melbourne Storm need a new logo?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Yes
8%
No
27%
Don't be stupid
65%

Total votes: 26
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why would anyone want to change our logo? It's awesome just as it is. And to have have lasted this long and still look great means it is timeless. I reckon in 50yrs time it'll still be current.
Some of the supporters merchandise could do with some work. I don't like any of the 2012 premiers gear )-:
Personally I like the predominantly deep blue, with hints of purple, white and yellow. Purple is our trademark colour, but it doesn't have to be so dominant on our merchandise, it wasn't overly prominent in the foundation years.
As for the Crown logo. This has grown on me. I can't see them blending the logo as the major sponser wants their logo to be as dominant as possible, and I actually like it as it is.
The best items of merchandise made since KooGa has been our clothing sponser is the 2012 training singlet and the 2011 coaches jacket IMO.

While I'm at it when will Storm start making some decent bumper stickers? The ones of recent years have been crap. And they should give them out at every available opportunity so we can plaster them all over the place to help spread awareness.
The members' packs should include one of those flags which mount to a car's window.

But back on topic. Logo's great. Keep it as it is.
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was so eager to vote "No" that I didn't even see the third option :lol: My vote really lies there.
one-eyed
Squall
Squall

:x A new Logo ? NO WAY
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think the problem with the current logo at the moment is that it is predominantly navy blue and gold, with a purple V on Storm Man and white cloud lining. It wasn't a problem until:

1. Between 2003-04 the jerseys had silver introduced on the jersey proper, while gold was demoted to a tiny section on the base of the collars (the main part of the collars were white then). In 2005, gold was completely removed due to the introduction of t-shirt collars. Thankfully they returned gold and ditched silver in when the current jersey came in 2010.

2. The club wanted to make purple the predominant colour in 2010. I heard Cam Smith in an interview prior to the GF and he referred to the Bulldogs fans as Blue and White (that's obvious) while the Storm fans as just Purple. We are not just purple - we are purple, navy, gold and white. Remember we wore predominantly navy blue jerseys up until the end of 2009 and it has been more of a traditional colour for us than purple. Making purple as the main colour on the jersey was a Brian Waldron initiative in December 2009 (a month before he scarpered from the club).

Another thing is that according to Melbourne Storm Wikipedia page under the Emblem and Colours section, when the Storm were introduced into the comp, they always going to be Navy Blue with a White V, with Purple and Gold added as secondary colours to make the merchandise more attractive. I've said a few times this year that the club should revert back to it's 1998 jersey, which was all navy blue with a white V surrounded by purple and gold, gold collar and purple sleeve cuffs.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I don't think we should change the logo - it still stands up. May a 20 year remodel, but you know we will all be saying "I like the original".

Regarding the colours - I was a bit peeved when they went to straight purple on the merchandise - apparently it was a marketing strategy that paid off big time with merchandise sales increased with the new colour. I always thought that the more conservative Melbourne market would like to stay with navy.

But now the club has adopted Purple as its colour - and it is very effective. It is unique in the NRL. It stands out - I remember when the first navy flag was around you could barely see it in the crowd. It has adds a great tag line - Purple describes a good period.

So now I have (like most of you) embrassed the Purple and wear it with pride.
Brian
Squall
Squall

Nup
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think keep it.. unless they can do one that undoubtedly looks better.. that's not an easy task though.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Not the logo but the look of a distant Thunder ;)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I like the jerseys BR, but can you do em in Storm colours? Left one looks like Broncos, right one looks like Panthers' pink ribbon day strip.