Do we need a new logo? (Now with added poll)

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!

Does Melbourne Storm need a new logo?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:57 pm

Yes
8%
No
27%
Don't be stupid
65%

Total votes: 26
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I've just been thinking recently that Melbourne has only had one logo since 1998 and has served us well for 15 seasons. Does anyone think we need a logo change or should we keep the current one.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think the logo still stands up today compared to other logos from the 90s - however, I think an update might be a good idea as we approach our 20th season. I think most will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - but I'm not suggesting a radical change. Keep Storm Man riding a cloud (perhaps tweaked and redrawn a little) and change the Storm wordmark. For the wordmark, I would keep the lightning bolt R but I'd use a more modern block font for the lettering. Beyond that, I'd expand our logo package to introduce a proper secondary logo - not just the bottom half of what we have now. Take a shield (or perhaps even a roundel since there's a history of those in league) and place the twin lightning bolt V over the top. Add either the full "Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club" name, the initials "MSRLC" or 1998 (perhaps a combination) and then you've got a classy, iconic secondary that would rival club logos like Souths' running bunny, the Dragons' shield or the Eels' roundel.

I have a few ideas knocking about. Maybe I should get pen and paper out and sketch out a few of them.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Theyll probably 'gay it up' like they did with the first change of storm man costume
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

absentee wrote:I think the logo still stands up today compared to other logos from the 90s - however, I think an update might be a good idea as we approach our 20th season. I think most will say "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - but I'm not suggesting a radical change. Keep Storm Man riding a cloud (perhaps tweaked and redrawn a little) and change the Storm wordmark. For the wordmark, I would keep the lightning bolt R but I'd use a more modern block font for the lettering. Beyond that, I'd expand our logo package to introduce a proper secondary logo - not just the bottom half of what we have now. Take a shield (or perhaps even a roundel since there's a history of those in league) and place the twin lightning bolt V over the top. Add either the full "Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club" name, the initials "MSRLC" or 1998 (perhaps a combination) and then you've got a classy, iconic secondary that would rival club logos like Souths' running bunny, the Dragons' shield or the Eels' roundel.

I have a few ideas knocking about. Maybe I should get pen and paper out and sketch out a few of them.
You're probably right about not making any drastic changes to the logo and instead just tweaking it and keeping the same concept (Storm Man in a cloud). Although Storm Man would have to change his appearance drastically since the one in the current logo is the original Storm Man mascot from the late '90s-early 2000s before the suit you see at the games got a makeover. The word font does look dated now as well so that would have to change.

I like the idea of a roundel. Out of the 12 traditional clubs that participated in the league, Balmain, Canterbury, Cronulla, Manly, North Sydney, Parramatta and Penrith all had them, while Eastern Suburbs, St. George and Western Suburbs had shields and Newtown and South Sydney had oval shaped logos. Then most of the expansion clubs followed suit with Illawarra, the original Gold Coast and Canberra (roundels) and Auckland, Brisbane and Newcastle (shields). North Queensland's second logo was an oval in the same style as Newtown and Souths. In the '90s and early 2000s most clubs did away with tradition and made their logos all modern looking. Also remember that in 1998, the Storm's jersey had a sewn on shield badge of the logo (which is what is replicated on the current heritage jersey).

I've also come up with five of the worst logos I've seen in the NRL since clubs started changing their old ones to new modern ones:

5. Cantebury 1998-2009 - The Bulldog head sitting on triangles looked uninspiring. Their new one with the standing Bulldog is so much better.

4. Sydney Roosters 2000-present - The rooster head looks terrible and ugly and the club should change their name back to Eastern Suburbs (I always refer to them as this and I never call them by the name 'Sydney Roosters', bit like how I never refer Footscray as 'Western Bulldogs'). Stupid marketing crap like that belongs in the 90s and 2000s. The Roosters don't represent Sydney as a whole, they represent the eastern suburbs of Bondi, Moore Park and surrounding suburbs.

3. Penrith 2000-present - Another terrible logo (you can't even tell what it is from a distance) and for a club that can't make up it's mind about what secondary colours to use (we've seen red, yellow, green and teal over the years), they should go back to wearing the Chocolate Soldiers jersey and logo.

2. Brisbane 2000-present - Another bad logo that came out at a time when as soon as the millenium came along, clubs decided to become all modern. The bland maroon horse head is nothing compared to the classic running golden Bronco in a shield.

1. Wests Tigers 2000-present - Although the word font has been tweaked over the years, it is still a bad logo. A robot for a tiger head and paws and and triangle representing the body. What the joint venture should do is rename the club Balmain Western Suburbs (like St. George Illawarra) and have the nickname 'Tigpies' (St. Merge should do the same and call themselves the Dreelers). The Tigpies logo should be a combination of the classic Tiger and Magpies logos from the past.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Was actually thinking about it myself the other day and totally agree it should by and large stay the same but just give it a bit of a tweak to freshen it up.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Along with a new jersey design (please get rid of big Crown box). A new logo would be interesting. I'm not sure what would look good off the top of my head. I was thinking oh lets just go back to our original logo...but silly me its been the same logo.'

I don't mind a logo with just an S with bolts embroiled with it. Needs to be simple, smart and look good.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

For me, a short answer is .....No!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:I've just been thinking recently that Melbourne has only had one logo since 1998 and has served us well for 15 seasons. Does anyone think we need a logo change or should we keep the current one.

Hey Mattstormy....it is always good to ask the question so that the issue can be thought about...but in a word...No.

Love the Logo...no matter how old or outdated.

Some spring heeled youngster might have a different thought but it's now our 2012 Premiership (Redemption) logo so I would love to keep it as long as possible.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm Spirit wrote: Some spring heeled youngster might have a different thought but it's now our 2012 Premiership (Redemption) logo so I would love to keep it as long as possible.
While i wouldn't be adverse to a slight update and wouldn't care less if we didn't i can assure you i aint no spring heeled youngster :lol:
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ice wrote:
Storm Spirit wrote: Some spring heeled youngster might have a different thought but it's now our 2012 Premiership (Redemption) logo so I would love to keep it as long as possible.
While i wouldn't be adverse to a slight update and wouldn't care less if we didn't i can assure you i aint no spring heeled youngster :lol:
Touche Ice....I understand completely !
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

From 1998 Image to 2012 Image
I guess I've traced - cut n pasted - painted our logo quite a few times
And I never thought it needed 'updating'.
Even when they changed Storm man's outfit it didn't effect the logo.
The NRL tried to change it by giving us BOOM as an 'alternate' mascot ::)
It's an identity that's grown with us & I guess is as much a part of us as the club culture is.

If you want a modern version of the logo then a font & uniform update would work, and mayhaps a change of direction / angle for Stormy's lightning bolt.

But like Boom - It would only be an alternative to the original 8)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bourbon Rat wrote:From 1998 Image to 2012 Image
I guess I've traced - cut n pasted - painted our logo quite a few times
And I never thought it needed 'updating'.
Even when they changed Storm man's outfit it didn't effect the logo.
The NRL tried to change it by giving us BOOM as an 'alternate' mascot ::)
It's an identity that's grown with us & I guess is as much a part of us as the club culture is.

If you want a modern version of the logo then a font & uniform update would work, and mayhaps a change of direction / angle for Stormy's lightning bolt.

But like Boom - It would only be an alternative to the original 8)
This.....+1
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was actually thinking about our logo the other day. I like the logo but was thinking should Storm man's outfit be more reminiscent of our current jersey (ie change the blue to purple).
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I'm not a traditionalist at all and like to move with the times but I really don't want it to change at all... I love our logo.

That's not me being biased at all, I just really like it. I also don't see the point in changing it for the sake of changing it. I even really like how our jersey design has developed over the years. Sure the Crown adversising could blend better but the design of the jersey itself is fantastic IMO.

Maybe a slight logo tweak in a few years following the retirement of Cam, Billy and Cooper, marking the end of an era. Maybe...
yourhero
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I like the shield in the background on the heritage jersey but think the complete white out is slightly bland. Perhaps a purple, blue, yellow V, similar to Storm man's on the logo.