2013 World Club Challenge vs Leeds Rhinos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Well, Leeds have won the Super League GF 26-18 so we will now play them in February next year.

Here is my suggestion of how we will line up if everyone is fit.

1. Billy SLATER
2.Sisa WAQA - has earned his spot and I'm sure is able to serve his 1 game suspension beforehand.
3.Justin O'NEILL
4.Will CHAMBERS
5.Matt DUFFIE - will get the nod due to experience even though I would rather see Mahe Fonua.
6.Gareth WIDDOP
7.Cooper CRONK
8,Jesse BROMWICH
9.Cameron SMITH (c)
10.Bryan NORRIE
11.Kevin PROCTOR
12.Ryan HOFFMAN
13.Ryan HINCHCLIFFE - will start because Bellamy trusts him and his big game experience.

14.Brett FINCH - can cover 6, 7 and 9 at a pinch, will play this big game early but may not be seen much after (the dark horse for this spot is Slade Griffin).
15.Kenny BROMWICH - was close to a senior game several times this year - Bellamy will give him the nod narrowly over Tohu Harris.
16.Jason RYLES
17.Siosaia VAVE - will be picked over Lagi Setu due to good form in 2012.
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

If played in Yorkshire this will be a game played in crap weather against a side that relies on niggle & cheap tactics in tackles.An aggressive pack & fast backline would be my way to go.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

While it'd be nice to win i've never been a great fan of it with traveling to the other side of the world so close to the NRL season proper. That said i'll be in London from Feb 2nd to Feb 18th so if it falls in between those dates i'll be sure to make my way up to have a look.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

LOL. I've been waiting for this all day. To far out for mine to be thinking of a team for the WCC. Although your 17 looks decent enough.
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Bourbon Rat wrote:If played in Yorkshire this will be a game played in crap weather against a side that relies on niggle & cheap tactics in tackles.An aggressive pack & fast backline would be my way to go.
The same tactics we have to confront against most Sydney based sides, played in Canberra type conditions. An interesting combination. Off topic, the cook tells me to wish you a belated happy birthday for yesterday Bourbs!
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Boys gotta fly halfway around the world for 1 game.. why can't they play over here for a change?
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

simo wrote:Boys gotta fly halfway around the world for 1 game.. why can't they play over here for a change?
This game should be played around this time of the year so both GF squads can play each other. By February many players have come and gone from both teams.
And it should alternate b/w northern and Southern Hemisphere, perhaps determined by highest winning margin in respective GF's.
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

If we can't have the game in Australia, perhaps a decent alternative would be a neutral venue - maybe as an exhibition game in Dubai. I'm sure Dubai's tourism board would love the exposure and I bet it would bring in some money for both the NRL and Super League.
jstephens
Squall
Squall

Go Storm wrote:This game should be played around this time of the year so both GF squads can play each other. By February many players have come and gone from both teams.
And it should alternate b/w northern and Southern Hemisphere, perhaps determined by highest winning margin in respective GF's.
The reason why it's not so is because it takes away the fact that the GF is the pinnacle of the NRL and ESL. If the WCC were to be a week or two following the NRL Grand Final, it would make it as if the players have unfinished business for the season. It is also a time when many players from the winning NRL and ESL sides have international playing commitments while many others are having surgery etc. If they left it until after the international fixtures we're talking well into November possibly December, when no one is really interested in League at the time.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bellamys told the players that he will take a squad of 25 but maybe it won't happen os read this article
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/l ... 6490217587
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

In February, when this game is played, aren't the ESL already 2-3 rounds into their competition? Seems a bit difficult to travel to oz??
It'd be great if it was played at AAMI Park though. I'm usually starving for a fix of rugby league by then.
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I`d love to see Storm take them up on that and make them come out here. But I`m guessing if we called their bluff and said come on down all of sudden there would be to many practical issues stopping them from coming. While I know that the call isn`t theirs it sounds more like a cheap offer put out when they know damn well it wont happen for mine. Frankly, given that by the time we get around to having this game the team that we field will not be the GF winning team anyway, I`d rather send our U20`s and get the NRL team ready for the upcoming season.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

The game looks like it will be play at Headingley instead of Elland Road. What's the main difference between the two stadiums besides being at opposite sides of Leeds. Is it like comparing Headingley as the MCG and Elland Road as Etihad Stadium?
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

sallymay wrote:Bellamys told the players that he will take a squad of 25 but maybe it won't happen os read this article
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/l ... 6490217587
I emailed the club yesterday and told them they should consider lobbying the ARLC to make this happen.

It won't happen on account of the RFL but if Leeds are happy to try their luck here then I'm all for it. We've had just about every rugby league event fathomable in the last decade played in Melbourne (Origin, Tests, World Cup, major finals) plus we are premiers. The World Club Challenge played at AAMI Park with a heaving purple crowd (plus a spattering of ex-pat Rhinos fans and fans of other SL teams who hate Leeds) would be a fitting tribute to our turnaround and success.

There's a lot of comments being made on Fb about the state of English Super League and likening it to park footy but I say that's bullshit. Melbourne fans DESERVE to watch our boys go around in our hometown against the best club side in English rugby league.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Even though i'll (possibly) be over there at the time and would spew that i missed it if it were played over here i still hope like hell that it is. I'd much rather have the boys have the best possible preparation for next season and that sure as shit wouldn't be flying over there just a few weeks before the season starts.