2013 World Club Challenge vs Leeds Rhinos

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

We still beat them though Bourbs.My CHAMPION TEAM are professionals and they won`t let a few feral supporters upset them.They can`t be any worse than the worm supporters.
stormsally
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Canberra papers are saying 8 Feb for trial match in Geelong.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-l ... z2CTpfcWL2

(I love the photo on the link - I can remember how much it rained on that day!!)
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So apparently we are taking 21 players and a couple of spots are still up for grabs. Assuming we're at full strength, I think our squad will look like this:

1.Smith (c)
2.J.Bromwich
3.K.Bromwich
4.Chambers
5.Cronk
6.Duffie
7.Finch
8.Fonua
9.Harris
10.Hinchcliffe
11.Hoffman
12.Norrie
13.O'Neill
14.Proctor
15.Ryles
16.Setu
17.Slater
18.Vave
19.Waqa
20.Widdop
21.Sa'u, Moors or Glasby
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Looks like a world club champions squad for mine. I really wanna see Glasby play at the next level. He was very good in the Q cup last season.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So you saw him in qld cup? What can you tell us about him? Can you liken him to any other past or present player?
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The bits and pieces I've seen of him he seems more of a back rower and not a prop. Played a lot on the edges. Has some surprising speed for a big bloke too. Very strong, knows how to break a tackle.

Can't really tell who he reminds me of. Haven't seen much of him yet to do that. But the little I've seen I think he could become a good player for us if given the chance.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Thanks Blazza
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Barring injury, Leeds' most likely line up will be;

1. Zak Hardaker
25. Joe Vickery
3. Kallum Watkins
4. Joel Moon
5. Ryan Hall
13. Kevin Sinfield
6. Danny McGuire
8. Kylie Leuluai
7. Rob Burrow
10. Jamie Peacock
11. Jamie Jones Buchanan
15. Brett Delaney
12. Carl Ablett

9. Paul McShane
16. Ryan Bailey
20. Darrell Griffin
19. Mitch Achurch/Chris Clarkson/Stevie Ward

Of the 13 Englishmen in this team, 11 are or have been Internationals.

Ben Jones-Bishop, our regular number 2, is out for 6 months with a blood clot. Joe Vickery has had a 3 month trial with the club and has scored 4 tries in 2 games, admittedly all put on a plate for him. It'll be interesting to see how he goes seeing as he was always on the verge of making a break in the NRL but just never quite got there.

Same with Achurch. I was impressed with him last week in the Trial against Bradford. He broke in to Penrith's FG last year but then got injured. The majority of Panther's fans were sad to see him go so it'll be good to see how he goes in our back row, as it is very established and there are also 2 great young kids coming through. He played in our final trial yesterday but there were only 5 first grade squad players playing and they were all fringe, unlikely to get any game time this year. The rest were 20's. Whether this is a sign our coach isnt quite sure he is 1st team material yet, I dont know.

A lot of you guys wont know many of our players but look out for Kallum Watkins. He is 21 years old, 6'1 and weighs about 95kg. He is one of the quickest players I have ever seen. Not only that, he is the most gifted young centre I have ever seen in this country. He played his 1st full season last year scoring 16 tries and eventually making it into the England team for the end of season Internationals. In last years WCC he skinned Steve Matai on a few occasions and made him look like a grade player.

Anyway, Im looking forward to the game. I dont take much out of it because I never know how serious you guys are taking it, but the last 2 times we have played each other they have been close, tough games of good standard and if I remember correctly, the first game which we won, had over 800 tackles in it!
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Leeds just put Hull FC to the sword in the second half, winning 36 - 6. It was 6-all after about 50 minutes. Tries scored by Sinfield, Moon, Peacock, Clarkson, McGuire and Hall with 6 goals from Sinfield. Vickery went off with an ankle injury. Harrigan if Vickery is not fit for three weeks time who would replace him on the wing?

BTW, Harrigan welcome to the Bai Stand.
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Thanks, glad to be here.

Yeah, we looked good for the 1st game of the season tonight. Hull are regarded as a team who are supposed to push for the Grand Final this year so a 36-6 win is all good. We are just too fit though for any other team in the UK and have been for the past few years. That's what separates us from the rest.

As far as Vickery goes, we have a highly regarded kid in the u19s called Josh Sunley but I doubt they'd throw him in yet. More than likely Ablett would be moved to centre and Watkins will go on the wing. It's not what I want to see but defensively, it's our best option. Ablett's a good centre too and has played there a lot over the last few years.

What did you think of the game tonight Scooter?

For anyone interested, heres some highlights from the opening game of Super League tonight. HD quality comes out monday :lol:

http://www.therhinos.co.uk/matchdaytv/? ... Qxuc783Ygw
harrigan
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Oh, and Kevin Sinfield, some of you may have heard of him ;) , finished the night with 1 try, 4 assists and kicked 6/6. Not a bad night at the office.

McGuire was equally as good and looked as dangerous as I have ever seen him.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Harrigan you could tell that the Rhinos are fitter than Hull FC, Hull ran out of puff. Hull's defence in the last 25 or 30 minutes fell apart but that also had a lot to do with some very good play from guys like Sinfield, McGuire and Burrow. A couple of inside passes had Hull found wanting and a pass on the last tackle also caught them off guard. Hall's run for his try was awesome too although there was at least one feeble attempt to tackle him. Hull were unable to stop Leeds' offloads in the second half.

Leeds's defence is very good so I expect it to be the battle of the defences in the WCC as it has been the couple of other times we have played Leeds.

I am looking forward to Feb 22 (morning of 23rd our time).
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Hmm ? I guess THIS had nothing to do with the uncoordinated actions of Hull ?

And McDermott seems to be taking the " We Got Lucky " approach - Smart man :lol:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Love your work Bourbon RAt
Turtle188
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

More importantly Bourbs will be happy with Wigan's result, although that news belongs in a different thread!