2013 Line-up

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I know this is early and we just won the comp, but I'm keen to see everyone's thoughts on next years team. Pretty strong still. Probably 2 spots on the bench are up for grabs. Lots of different players who might make it who I have not included: Jordan Mclean, Bobby Blair, Slade Griffin, Junior Moors, Junior Sa'u, Mitch Garbutt, Kenny Bromwich, Tim Glasby, Lagi Setu, Ben Hampton

1.Slater
2.Waqa
3.O'neill
4.Chambers
5.Duffie
6.Widdop
7.Cronk
8.Bromwich
9.Smith
10.Norrie
11.Proctor
12.Hoffman
13.Hinchcliffe

14.Fonua
15.Ryles
16.Vave
17.Harris

I like Ryles and Vave coming on for Norrie & Bromwich to keep the forward push going. Fonua runs hard almost like a back rower and can cover an injury to the backs so I would like him on the bench. Harris could be very handy if he has a good pre-season with no injuries.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Lagi Setu might not play early in the season due to fitness and touch...but when fit and firing he will be scary.

I am sure Craig didn't get Lagi to play NSW Cup...
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

More signings to come perhaps?
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Unfortunately, I think we have to presume that at 34 years of age, Ryles may be a week to week proposition.

Injury may force him to miss more games.

I hope not after the stellar 2012 he had...but it is always a possibility with ageing players.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I dont know how reliable Ryles will be in terms of injury prevention. Hes susceptible it seems! the news I heard about his hammy is that it was a full rip (from a storm insider) so who knows how he will recover and go long term
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

I was reading an article a couple of days back, the name of the website eludes me but it mentioned that we have enough room in our cap to add a summer or mid-season signing so that would suggest our recruitment for 2013 may not be finished.

Matt Duffie will need to impress Bellyache in the off-season otherwise I'm don't think he'll walk straight back into the side. Justin O'Neill on the wing with either Mahe Fonua or Junior Sau inside him would be a scary combination on the the left side of the field.
Last edited by Inglis#3 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Tohu Harris. Looking forward to seeing him playing. He's a big lad.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:I was reading an article a couple of days back, the name of the website eludes me but it mentioned that we have enough room in our cap to add a summer or mid-season signing so that would suggest our recruitment for 2013 may not be finished.
Yea it was an article about the board wanting to keep a buffer. In light of what happened they want to be 100% certain we are under. But I keep seeing Finch has signed with us. Who knows what Craig has planned for him.
Matt Duffie will need to impress Bellyache in the off-season otherwise I'm don't think he'll walk straight back into the side. Justin O'Neill on the wing with either Mahe Fonua or Junior Sau inside him would be a scary combination on the the left side of the field.
Duffie needs to fix his defence before he is ever allowed back IMO. Fonua has already shown he is a better ball runner and tackler than him in only a handful of games. I like Duffie but he needs to improve big time.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Apparently Brett Finch will be back next year. Can't imagine why. We don't need him.
nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

WHY?! Hes a good player but Gaz has the potential to be better if given the time he needs!
It's the reason Brett Finch will exit Super League and re-sign with Melbourne for 2013 on the kind of money you'd find in a poor box.
Decent article too, http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... z2867zcwHd
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I was just thinking. Hinchy moves from utility bench/lock to full time lock. Finch off the bench. That's the only way I see it working.
Michael :P
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

1. Slater
2. Duffie
3. Sau
4. CHamberz
5. O'Neill
6. Wid-Dopp
7. Cronk

13. Hinchliffe
12. Proctor
11. Hoffman
10. Norrie
09. Smith
08. Bromwich

14. Setu
15. Vave
16. Moors
17. Harris
18. Griffin

Why no -

Ryles - If Nacho is right that hammy will spell the end at his age
Waqa - Played well, did his role but I reckon Craig is more invested in Justin and Duffie
Fonua - Still plenty to learn. If he's seen as a center should spend the year in Q Cup playing the position.

And I agree with Less, no need for Finch. At some point you have to see what Hampton or McGahan have to offer as a back-up 6
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Sisa Waqa has been absolutely outstanding in his recent games.. pulls a andrew johns type play to pass to chambers to win against the Sharks.. Waqa's GF performance was outstanding.. Depends how his off season go's.. thing is.. having not seen Duffie play in a while i think weve all forgotten a bit how good he is..
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

I reckon.. Junior Moors will be a gun next year.. providing he has a good off season with no injuries that prove too disrupting.. Buy of the year. I'm excited about this guy.

Finch could be good... it would allow finch at 5/8.. and widdop in the backline and a back up for Slater. We all saw how badly Storm went without a 5/8 when Slater was down and Widdop moved to fullback..

Finch would allow us to have a quality 5/8 and a quality back up 5/8 and fullback.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

simo wrote:I reckon.. Junior Moors will be a gun next year.. providing he has a good off season with no injuries that prove too disrupting.. Buy of the year. I'm excited about this guy.

Finch could be good... it would allow finch at 5/8.. and widdop in the backline and a back up for Slater. We all saw how badly Storm went without a 5/8 when Slater was down and Widdop moved to fullback..

Finch would allow us to have a quality 5/8 and a quality back up 5/8 and fullback.

That's the way I see it imho...

Widdop to a Centre with Chambers...O'neill and Duff on the wings.

I think Storm are probably stronger with Finchy and Coops at 5/8 & HB and Widdop at Centre (which sounds as though it may be HIS preferred position).