2013 Line-up

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

simo wrote:On finch.. he was brilliant at 5/8 when he was here a couple years ago.. he can cover 6 and 7 for injuries.. not sure what his current form has been like overseas..

Was there any mention at the presentation night of what finches roll might be?
Took Brett a while to settle into his role at Wigan,(or took them a while to learn his style). He played the same gee up role in on field groups that Cam n Coops do,so a mentor / coach role may be more in his future than an on field back up half :?
All the same ......................... Welcome home Finchy ;D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Finch made the team of the Year in the Super League at Five Eighth this year
BigG
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Finch will just come in as cover and will use the link with Storm as a springboard to retirement.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

If he made the super league team of the year then he can still play very well..

I think we'll see a bit of him..
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Going on Craig's success with journeymen don't be too surprised if Finchy plays prop and wins forward of the year award.

Seriously though....
Bourbon Rat
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Apologies for posting this but I really couldn't pass up pointing out the subtle,(?) tongue in cheek item.
Brett Finch has signed to play for the Melbourne Storm for the 2013 season, the NRL premiers have announced.

Finch will return from a two-year stint with Super League side Wigan to join the club he won the 2009 grand final with on a one-season deal.

After stints with Canberra, Sydney Roosters and Parramatta the 257-game NRL veteran joined the Storm for the 2009 and 2010 seasons before linking with Wigan.

A part of Wigan's 2011 Challenge Cup winning side Finch, has represented NSW in State of Origin three times and famously kicked the winning field goal in the Blues' 17-16 win over Queensland in game one of the 2006 series.
Article
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake - WC Fields
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

So Finch is an origin star and premiership winning player again. When we picked him up in 2009 Parra discarded him as a washed-up has been.
I can see the media already questioning how we can afford this superstar when we already have 7 internationals on our roster.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Because he loves the culture at this club and is willing to play for peanuts just to be part of it.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Without a doubt he will be an assistant coach in 2014 - otherwise I can't honestly see why he is coming back
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Go Storm wrote:So Finch is an origin star and premiership winning player again. When we picked him up in 2009 Parra discarded him as a washed-up has been.
I can see the media already questioning how we can afford this superstar when we already have 7 internationals on our roster.
These are all the players that have now left the club - Nielsen, Manu, Lowrie, Lowe, Kostjasyn, Fa'aoso, Greenfield and Quinn (pretty sure he's going). Kelly left mid-season as well. Surely we can afford a 31 year old journeyman that everyone thinks is a washed up has been. We also don't have any other notable recruits for next year either.

Finchy will be a perfect addition in the #14 jersey, while Hinchy gets his chance to slot into lock full time.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:
Go Storm wrote:So Finch is an origin star and premiership winning player again. When we picked him up in 2009 Parra discarded him as a washed-up has been.
These are all the players that have now left the club - Nielsen, Manu, Lowrie, Lowe, Kostjasyn, Fa'aoso, Greenfield and Quinn (pretty sure he's going). Kelly left mid-season as well. Surely we can afford a 31 year old journeyman that everyone thinks is a washed up has been. We also don't have any other notable recruits for next year either.

Finchy will be a perfect addition in the #14 jersey, while Hinchy gets his chance to slot into lock full time.
I agree Finchy will play in 14. We may be able to give Coop and Cam more rest during the season with Finchy on the bench. Imagine round 4 or 5 and we are 20 points up we bring Finchy on with 10 or 15 minutes to go and give either Cam or Cooper a rest.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

He's a great pickup.. halfway through the season you will be all praising him..

Remember what most of you were saying about Hoffman this time last year? Lol..
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hoffman was a need though. Leadership in the forward pack was vital to this team. Finch's role will remain an unknown until his first game back for us. I like the signing..I just don't get it.
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

simo wrote:He's a great pickup.. halfway through the season you will be all praising him..
To be fair most people are actually happy with the pick up and it's not like it's the other way around.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Ice wrote:
simo wrote:He's a great pickup.. halfway through the season you will be all praising him..
To be fair most people are actually happy with the pick up and it's not like it's the other way around.
Agree. I don't think there'd be one person who knows anything about Storm and/or league who'd think recruiting Finch for peanuts is a bad thing.
Bellyache will find a spot for him. At worst case, at least while he's on our books he can't be in any oppositions lineup.