2013 Line-up

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Widdop to centre makes no sense imo. We've groomed him as our five eighth for 2 years just to dump him when and older guy returns. I just don't see it.

I'm confused with us wanting Finch back but obviously Bellyache has his plans. But without injuries and origin we don't need him. This was our worst season with a key injury and we still won it all. Obviously having Finch in the squad gives us depth but he wouldn't be in my first 17. Shrugs. Just have to wait and see.
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

According to the articles I've been reading in relation to a possible return to Melbourne for Finch, they mention that if he returns he'll only be on peanuts. That to me suggest that he'll be playing off the bench or he'll just be used in a fill-in type role during the Origin period when we are missing vast experience.
Last edited by Inglis#3 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nacho wrote:WHY?! Hes a good player but Gaz has the potential to be better if given the time he needs!
It's the reason Brett Finch will exit Super League and re-sign with Melbourne for 2013 on the kind of money you'd find in a poor box.
Decent article too, http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/l ... z2867zcwHd
Yes, Roy loves us. He was in the rooms on Sunday and was in there after the Manly prelim as well. Gareth Widdop, I firmly believe, will be the English Darren Lockyer within the next 5 years.

On ryles, I'm sorry upset for him. He's been so good for us and deserved a ring.

My team for 2013 would be;

1. Slater
2. Duffie/Fonua
3. Chambers
4. O'Neill
5. Waqa
6. Widdop
7. Cronk
8. Bromwhich
9. Smith
10. Norrie
11. Proctor
12. Hoffman
13. Hinchcliffe

14. Setu
15. Ryles
16. Vave
17. Moors

Why we signed Junior Sa'u is beyond me. We have been rich in the outside backs for the past 2 years and it's given Bellamy plenty of selection headaches. Will spend plenty of time in NSW Cup I reckon.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Id say by the articles that have said they need a replacement for Neilson, suggests that Bellamy fills a certain amount of positions on the rooster and he was down 1 spot. Back line looks good in depth.. which is good. He's only a one year signing.

Finch may spend all his time in reserves too.. he could be just brought in for a back up. He's cheap and experienced. I don't think its a bad signing at all.. and all the guys at training love him. He'll add a lot off the field.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

What about setu.. has he played any games in the last 2 years? He was good in 2010.. but 2 years without playing can he just jump back in and be effective? Or will he spend most of the year in the reserves?
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

1. Billy Slater
2. Mahe Fonua
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin O'Neill
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwhich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Brett Finch
15. Jason Ryles
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Junior Moors
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

simo wrote:Finch may spend all his time in reserves too.. he could be just brought in for a back up. He's cheap and experienced. I don't think its a bad signing at all.. and all the guys at training love him. He'll add a lot off the field.
Exactly. And he's not getting paid much either.
During origin Craig rests the rep players from training. This causes more disruption to our team than the players' fatigue backing up on game day.
Finchy will be able to fill Coops' role at training so the team's not so disjointed throughout this period. Or Coops may be rested completely throughout this period with Finchy able to fill his position.
Should either Coops, Widdop or Slater get injured we have quality backup to cover these key positions.
Monsoon
Monsoon

1. Billy SLATER
2. Matt DUFFIE
3. Justin O'NEILL
4. Will CHAMBERS
5. Sisa WAQA
6. Gareth WIDDOP
7. Cooper CRONK
8. Jesse BROMWICH
9. Cameron SMITH (c)
10. Bryan NORRIE
11. Kevin PROCTOR
12. Ryan HOFFMAN
13. Ryan HINCHCLIFFE

14. Brett FINCH
15. Jason RYLES
16. Junior MOORS
17. Lagi SETU

18. Mahe FONUA
19. Junior SAU
20. Ben HAMPTON
21. Siosaia VAVE
22. Tohu HARRIS
23. Mitchell GARBUTT
24. Kenny BROMWICH
25. Maurice BLAIR/Tim GLASBY

That will be the top 25 full-time squad I believe.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Inglis#3 wrote:1. Billy Slater
2. Mahe Fonua
3. Will Chambers
4. Justin O'Neill
5. Sisa Waqa
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Jesse Bromwhich
9. Cameron Smith
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Ryan Hinchcliffe

14. Brett Finch
15. Jason Ryles
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Junior Moors

Yes this right here. Booom B2B baby.

Edit haha. I like 1999 to if Finch is playing. Hmmm its going to be interesting if all are healthy come week one.
madstorm
Squall
Squall

I was wrapped to hear Finchy coming back!!! He was brilliant us before and he is obviously not coming back for the big bucks, he is coming back for a for a legit ring like our boys just got. One that doesn't bring back the pain of having them stripped. He knows he will get one here and it could be his last chance. He would be great for Coops and recall reading somewhere Gareth had called finchy when he moved to England for some tips. Gareth is great but another few years with Brett as his mentor and he'd be unstoppable. If he's coming back on minimum wage he'd be cheaper than a assistant coach, although coaches don't count in salary cap. Gareth is still young and moving him to link with Billy more isn't such a bad idea. Craig will get the best out of them. I cant see it being a bad thing. Might cheer coops up too, they were inseperable when he was here.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

1999 wrote:1. Billy SLATER
2. Matt DUFFIE
3. Justin O'NEILL
4. Will CHAMBERS
5. Sisa WAQA
6. Gareth WIDDOP
7. Cooper CRONK
8. Jesse BROMWICH
9. Cameron SMITH (c)
10. Bryan NORRIE
11. Kevin PROCTOR
12. Ryan HOFFMAN
13. Ryan HINCHCLIFFE

14. Brett FINCH
15. Jason RYLES
16. Junior MOORS
17. Lagi SETU

18. Mahe FONUA
19. Junior SAU
20. Ben HAMPTON
21. Siosaia VAVE
22. Tohu HARRIS
23. Mitchell GARBUTT
24. Kenny BROMWICH
25. Maurice BLAIR/Tim GLASBY

That will be the top 25 full-time squad I believe.
There is Kurt Mann as well. Is Fonua, Harris or Hampton eligible for U20s next season? Or can we have more than 25 in the full-time squad? Because I thought Solomona, Au'vua, Griffin, McLean and McGahan are all signed up too...
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Inglis#3 wrote: Matt Duffie will need to impress Bellyache in the off-season otherwise I'm don't think he'll walk straight back into the side.
Strange considering there was a big push to sign him last year when he was targeted by Parramatta on a long term deal. Bit of a waste of money IMO if he can't get a game next year at the Storm, considering Waqa and Fonua the two likely first choice wingers.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

mattstormy wrote:
Inglis#3 wrote: Matt Duffie will need to impress Bellyache in the off-season otherwise I'm don't think he'll walk straight back into the side.
Strange considering there was a big push to sign him last year when he was targeted by Parramatta on a long term deal. Bit of a waste of money IMO if he can't get a game next year at the Storm, considering Waqa and Fonua the two likely first choice wingers.
He's only played a handful of games since resigning where's he's shown the same brilliance as he did prior to resigning. Although in his defence I reckon he's been carrying an injury for some time. He'll be playing out of his skin following this off-season, I hope.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Duffie will be leaping and scoring tries.. Backline depth is good..
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

No doubt he is a weapon on the wing. Coops or Gaz putting a bomb up for him 90% of the time he scores. Or when the other team for some reason keep kicking it to him. He never drops it. But his defence is pretty average. Needs to fix that up if he wants to get his jersey back imo.