Grand Final Player Reviews

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Thought I would rate the players out of 10 on their performances yesterday.

1. Billy Slater: 7/10; Made some uncharacteristic errors but also scored a well worked try and saved one as well. (Ironic that the same type of chip and chase which worked for them in Mackay was stopped yesterday by the two Storm players who didnt play in that game ;) )

2. Sisa Waqa: 8/10; Capped off a fantastic end to the season with a great defensive performance. Despite limited opportunities in attack he played all over Wright.

3. Dane Nielson: 7/10; Seemed to have regained some of his defensive confidence since coming back into the side. Didn't quite regain the awesome attack that he showed he was capable of in the first few games of the season but nonetheless played well last night.

4. Will Chambers: 8/10; Another player who had limited opportunities in attack but stifled the Bulldogs very well in defence. Ensured that Barba had no chance to make long kick returns with some great one on one defence. He was my favourite player before he left to the Reds, so to have him return for our premiership makes it so much sweeter.

5. Justin O'Neill: 8/10; Again like all the other backs was well contained in attack, but his work under the high ball was first class resulting in a very nice try to top it off. Also defended well jamming in on Inu and Perrett constantly.

6. Gareth Widdop: 8.5/10; Doesn't get enough credit in my opinion, was far more composed than the Bulldogs inexperienced halves. Set up one try and if not for the offside would have set up another. His chase on Reynolds was reminiscent of Scott Sattler (although you won't here that from the media)

7. Cooper Cronk: 9/10; All class. Had a fantastic kicking game, knew when to pass and when to take the line on himself. Certainly deserving of the Man of the Match award.

8. Jesse Bromwich: 9.5/10; I thought Jesse was very, very good last night. Every run he made he carried the Bulldogs supposedly bigger forwards back atleast 5 metres after hitting the line. In my opinion was very close to man of the match and hopefully is rewarded with some more International representation this year.

9. Cameron Smith: 9/10; Did everything we have come to expect from him. Made good decisions in attack and holding up Ennis possibly won us the game. Did all the little things, ie. pressuring the kickers

10. Brian Norrie: 9/10; Like Bromwich, Norrie was huge in taking hit ups and bending the Bulldogs defence back. Really shows that props are meant to just tuck the ball under the arm and run straight and hard, none of this fancy passing rubbish. Was also unlucky to be offside for that try.

15. Kevin Proctor: 7.5/10; Didn't notice him as much last night but that was probably because he was doing all the little things. He did make some good runs and proved hard to bring down, staying on his feet almost every time. Again hoping that KP makes the New Zealand team, highly underated player.

12. Ryan Hoffman: 9/10; Was sceptical when he came back to the Storm, but he has done nothing but prove me wrong. Ran good lines and scored a great try. In my opinion he is in career best form and was close to being our best player this season.

13. Todd Lowrie: 7/10; Played an unspectacular but very solid game. Defended the Bulldogs forwards well and made some good one on one tackles on bigger men. A good way for him to end what was certainly his best season for the Storm.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. Sika Manu: 8.5; Played his best game in a long time. Constantly carried defenders over the advantage line in a style that reminded me of his 2009 form. Has been on of my favourite Storm players so will certainly miss him next year.

14. Ryan Hinchcliffe: 8; Did everything that was asked of him.

16. Jaiman Lowe: 8; What a way to end his career. Probably ended in his best form for the club and was instrumental in forcing the Bulldogs backwards. Will be hard to replace next year.

17. Richie Fa'aoso: 8; Again made some damaging runs and defended well. Was certainly a bargain buy and will be missed next year.

Got a bit shitty towards the end but yeah I think thats a reasonable reflection on a great performance by the boys. The game wasn't won by any one single player, but by the whole team contributing which is what I think makes it more special. Everyone did their job in negating the Bullddogs forwards, shutting down Barba etc. and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks we can go back to back next year.
MENACING*STORM
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Great review Bris Storm!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

BILLY only 7..what the??
jimbo2
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Thought you must have been at the bar too often if you could only give Billy a 7 !!!
brisbanestorm
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Hahaha mate havent been drinking had to enjoy the last couple of games from the comfort of my bed. I just thought a couple of his errors could have put us under real pressure. If Perrett hadnt dropped his nuts, we were looking at being behind after just 2 minutes. Perhaps
7 is harsh though...
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

This was mine which i posted on LU
1. Slater - 8. Made a blunder but made up for it.. Brilliant amount of speed and skill to stop Morris from scoring. Great decoy play to allow Hoffman to score. Gets tackled in far right corner, gets up runs to opposite side of field and gets in position and scores a try.
2. Waqa - 8. This guys first game for Melbourne he looked like he wouldn't last long in first grade. He did a lot of work and was great in defence.
3. Neilson - 7 solid game, good defence.
4. Chambers - 7 some great defence.
5. O'Neil - 7. diffused a bomb under pressure, scored a nice try of Cronk's kick.
6. Widdop - 7 Nice ball to Hoffman to score.
7. Cronk - 9 Kicking game was sensational.
8. Bromwich - 7 Solid game, big man.. turned up to Storm training one day to see his brother train and now he won a GF with them.
9. Smith - 9 Would of given him a 10 if he could kick some goals. 13 or so dummy half runs. Some huge defensive efforts on the try line.
10. Norrie - 9 Awesome game, this guy was on his way to wagga before Bellamy picked him up.. Leading forward on the paddock. More metres then any other forward on the night.
15. Procter - 6 Did his job as usual. Good effort.
12. Hoffman - 8 First try scorer.. not that uncommon for Hoffman.
13. Lowrie - 7 outstanding defence, did his job like he does every week.

14. Hinchcliffe - 7 Great defensive effort.
11. manu - 7 Big effort in defence, some good runs.
16. Lowe - 6 Some big strong runs in limited time.
17. Fa'aoso - 5 - Not a great deal of game time for Richie. but did what he could when he was on.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Storm player ratings on Fox Sports website:
1. BILLY SLATER - Scored a try but looked to be hampered by his knee problem. Not as assured as we've come to expect under the high ball, but much better in the second half. 6
2. SISA WAQA - Very solid in defence, made two vital plays to deny Canterbury certain tries. 7
3. DANE NIELSEN - Attacked well when given the chance and did nothing wrong in defence. 6.5
4. WILL CHAMBERS - Came out on top in the battle with Josh Morris, a great way to end a season that contained a cancer scare. 7
5. JUSTIN O'NEILL - Showed great athleticism to haul in a Cooper Cronk kick for his side's third try just before halftime. 7
6. GARETH WIDDOP - Set up the first try and made a brilliant tackle on Sam Perrett that led to his side's second. First Englishman in 10 years to win a premiership. 7.5

7. COOPER CRONK - A magnificent game from the Queensland and Test halfback. Had a hand in all three first-half tries and set up O'Neill with a magnificent kick on the run. 8.5
8. JESSE BROMWICH - The young prop more than held his own against the Bulldogs vaunted pack. A premiership winner at 23. 7.5
9. CAMERON SMITH - Made a key play to hold up Michael Ennis under the posts to prevent a certain try. Struggled with the boot in missing five goals, but otherwise outstanding as always. 8
10. BRYAN NORRIE - A huge game from the veteran prop, whose career looked over after he was released by Cronulla two years ago. Clocked up over 150 metres. 8
15. KEVIN PROCTOR - The all-action Kiwi did his job well and adds a premiership ring to the Toyota Cup title he won in 2009. 7

12. RYAN HOFFMAN - A great season from the former NSW back-rower was capped off with the first try of the game. 7
13. TODD LOWRIE - Another one of the Storm's unheralded heroes signs off in his final game for the club with a premiership. 6.5
Bench:
14. RYAN HINCHCLIFFE - Did a decent job off the bench, little chance to shine in attack, but worked hard when introduced in defence. 6
11. SIKA MANU - Wasn't on the field for long, but made a solid impact with his powerful runs. 6.5
16. JAIMAN LOWE - Ends a solid rather than spectacular career with a premiership win. 6
17. RICHIE FA'AOSO - Spent much of the match sitting but earned a premiership ring out of his mid-year move. 6
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Bulldogs Player ratings on Fox Sports website:
1. BEN BARBA - The best player all season but suffered from stage fright in the biggest game. Was fairly well contained but always had you on the edge of your seat. 7
2. SAM PERRETT - Did well to score Canterbury's only try and made good metres out of dummy half. Hampered by lack of opportunity. 6.5
3. JOSH MORRIS - Looked the most likely attacking option all game but didn't have enough support. 7.5
4. KRISNAN INU - Put a big shot on Cooper Cronk early and kicked for Perrett's try, but didn't have usual spark. 6.5
5. JONATHAN WRIGHT - An ugly night, spilled a few kicks putting his team under serious pressure. 5
6. JOSH REYNOLDS - Tried hard in attack and often willed his team forward, but was targeted big time in defence, missing seven tackles. 6.5
7. KRIS KEATING - Looked impressive when running the ball but found the chest of Billy Slater far too much with his kicking game. 6
8. AIDEN TOLMAN - Work rate was down on his usually high levels and gave away a silly penalty in the first half. 6.5
9. MICHAEL ENNIS - Made a game-high 48 tackles, went close to scoring and spent every spare moment in the referees' ears. But couldn't get his team home. 7.5
10. SAM KASIANO - Not the best performance from the prop of the year. Appeared to struggle with the pace of the game and was outplayed by Bryan Norrie. 5.5
11. FRANK PRITCHARD - Canterbury's strike weapon in the pack didn't break a single tackle all match. Even his decoy runs weren't working. 6.
12. JOSH JACKSON - Has had an outstanding rookie season and got through a mountain of work again, but missed five tackles. 6.5
13. GREG EASTWOOD - Made a season-high 33 tackles which sapped him of energy, rendering him virtually anonymous in attack. 6
14. JAMES GRAHAM - Had a huge game off the bench and was the Dogs' best forward but was lucky to stay on the field after his Mike Tyson-eqsue bite of Slater's ear. 7
15. DALE FINUCANE - Not sighted until the final 15 minutes and didn't do a great deal after that. 5
16. COREY PAYNE - As with Finucane, didn't get much gametime and had absolutely no impact. 5
17. DAVID STAGG - Most significant impact on the game was grabbing Slater around the neck, sparking the big brawl in the first half. Now has to decide on retirement plans. 6.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I am not sure who did the player ratings but can someone explain to me how Barba got a better score than Billy. Billy scored a try and saved a try and Barba made a couple of half breaks when the game was almost over. Apparently only 4 Bulldogs players were worse than Billy. Whoever did the ratings must have been watching a different game to me.

I assume different people did the ratings for both teams given this comment: WILL CHAMBERS - Came out on top in the battle with Josh Morris, a great way to end a season that contained a cancer scare. 7 and given the fact Josh Morris got a 7.5.

My favourite comment was: 10. SAM KASIANO - Not the best performance from the prop of the year. Appeared to struggle with the pace of the game and was outplayed by Bryan Norrie. 5.5 Well done Noz.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

I think sports journalism must be the next step up from the mail room, because they seem to let any ignorant wanna-be with a typewriter write articles and reviews.
Barba, Dally M medalist and fullback of the year, was shut down completely. He was merely a student getting a lesson from the true master, Billy. How could he possibly rate, let alone higher than Bill?
Chambers has a blood disorder, not cancer. Get your facts right. And he killed it, 8-9 for me. 10 if he was given an opportunity to score. His opposite, Morris was also shut down.
Well done Noz on a Stella couple of years at the Storm. His first season was brilliant and his final game was flawless. Very deserving recipient of his premiership ring.
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

Slater was absolutely brilliant, he was targeted all game.. watching his try again.. and he is on a direct path to Barba.. steps inside him and scores.. Smokes Barba on that occasion.. Also on the same play.. watch Slaters acceleration when he gets the ball from Cronks pass... Insane how quick he is.. blows past Inu, then Barba and then Tolman and Stagg..

Slaters try saver on morris was an incredible amount of speed and skill in a very quick play.. some people have said that had the bounce been right he could of caught the ball.. but it was Slaters pressure that caused Morris to kick it in the first place.. then add to that Slater spoiled it.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

it is a shame that baabaa isn`t in the A :lol: ustralian squad cos now Billy will have to carry his own bag.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Billy nearly had his head ripped off by stagg when he scored the try.couldn`t understand why Billy didn`t get a penalty for that.
just add baabaa to the list of finals players that didn`t get a look in playing against Storm..GI.brett stewart and baabaa.

STORM 2012..My CHAMPION TEAM.
tugga
Monsoon
Monsoon

Smith a 9? His goalkicking was absolutely putrid. Yes in general play he was terrific, but part of his game is to convert kicks. He failed to do that so in no way does he get a 9. Other than that, great effort with the OP's summary. It's not easy and of course, it's just opinion.
Monsoon
Monsoon

How about this for a joke, I just got the Grand Final Big League and they have a 2012 Team of the year in it, and not 1 storm player features. Barba is in ahead of Billy, Marshall at Half-Back infront of Cronk, Luke is the hooker ahead of Cam, and Dave Taylor got the nod before Hoffy. Seriously WTF!!?