Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy poised to sign

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6555429487

Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy set to reject $5m coaching offer from St George Illawarra Dragons
Paul Kent and Josh Massoud
The Daily Telegraph
January 17, 2013 12:00AM

Steve Price (second from left) and Craig Bellamy (second from right) at yesterday's meeting between coaches and referees. Picture: WHILE Craig Bellamy wasn't giving any public guarantees yesterday, it's understood the champion coach has already given Storm officials a verbal pledge to stay in Melbourne.

Bellamy's future is now the biggest talking point in rugby league, with St George Illawarra recently tabling a $5 million offer for his services beyond this season. But The Daily Telegraph has been told that Bellamy is poised to reject the lucrative overture, having made a commitment to finish as a one-club coach.

Bellamy's decision has ramifications beyond football because club owner News Limited (publisher of The Daily Telegraph) is keen to sell. It's understood negotiations have progressed with a consortium of business people who are receptive to footing the bill for Bellamy's next deal.

The potential buyers realise that Melbourne's value will be lessened without the man who has been primarily responsible for building the club into a modern-day super power. Bellamy has promised to make a call before Melbourne depart for their World Club Challenge clash against Leeds on February 12.

That means current Dragons coach Steve Price - off-contract this year - will also learn the extent of his future within the next month. But Price wasn't showing any signs of anxiousness when he crossed paths with Bellamy yesterday at League Central, which hosted a summit between referees and coaches.

Price refused to discuss his feelings, while Bellamy would only reiterate his plan to make an official announcement before Melbourne's UK trip.

"I hope to have something to say then," Bellamy said. "I still have a few decisions to make before I decide."

I know it's the Telecrap and they're wroong about as much as the mole but on this occasion i reckon they're on the mark. Craig will stay, Cam will take over when they both hang up the boots so to speak and all will be good in the world. ;)
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

An simpler article in SMH says he is tipped to got to the Dragons next year, but two days ago the same paper saif he was staying at Storm!
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mystormboys wrote:Rose sorry to be a wet blanket

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 2crlp.html

Yeah I saw that shortly after I posted my link, but this morning they are saying that Bellemy has given a verbal indication to Melbourne Storm that he will be staying.. I am not believing ANYTHING now until I hear Bellamy say it himself
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just make a decision already Craig. Fmd!
J-Storm
Squall
Squall

I have no Earthly idea where ppl are getting the idea that Cameron will take over from Bellamy (if he stays beyond this season). Cameron has stated numerous times that once he has finished playing for the Storm, he & Barb & the kidlets will move back to Brisbane, which stands to reason seeing their families are there.

Having him coach & be as successful as Bellamy has been is all jus' wishful thinking, like asking Santa Claus for our tainted Premierships & honours back *smh*
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With Cam, I think it's the players putting it out there as a joke that the media are too stupid to pick up on.

Apparently, Bellamy and Gauci have said no such verbal indication has been given.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cam Smith did an interview just the other day where he stated he knows nothing about Craig's decision, nobody does.
They then asked him about coaching and he flatly ruled out the ridiculous notion of captain-coach. The game is too professionally run these days to even entertain the idea.
He did say, however, that he'd like to remain within the game. Whether that be head coach, assistant coach or consultant.
And he said, although his family's from QLD, he'd like remain with Storm after serving so much of his life here.
And he said he has a few years of playing in him still before any of this happens.
He looked very fit too, and mentioned how the new boys have settled in well and the club's primed for the WCC and 2013 season. It's gunna be a big year for us!!
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

J-Storm wrote:I have no Earthly idea where ppl are getting the idea that Cameron will take over from Bellamy (if he stays beyond this season). Cameron has stated numerous times that once he has finished playing for the Storm, he & Barb & the kidlets will move back to Brisbane, which stands to reason seeing their families are there.

Having him coach & be as successful as Bellamy has been is all jus' wishful thinking, like asking Santa Claus for our tainted Premierships & honours back *smh*
While i totally understand where you're coming from, maybe, just maybe if the opportunity came along where he could coach the club where he played his entire career, a club he's been with since he was a kid (in football terms) and a club he so obviously holds so dearly to his heart he might just entertain the idea of one day taking the reigns of it? Serious question here, do you honestly think that's not a perfectly feasible scenario?

I mean Bellyache was signed sealed and delivered to return to Brisbane to be with his family and the club he started his coaching career at (even Locky said as much) and what happened there? he signed up for another 4 or 5 years with us.

Not every great player has the coaching credentials and smarts to move into the role but every man and his dog knows that Cameron Smith has the footballing brain to take that position and especially after learning from the master so why do you think he wouldn't even entertain the idea of doing it at the club for the reasons mentioned above? Of course family is a great motivator but the last time i saw there's numerous flights to Brisbane daily and while time might be limited during the season there's still plenty of opportunities just like there has been for countless players/coaches over the years who go interstate or even OS to ply their trade.

He may or may not take over but it would be fairly naive to say he wouldn't just because he's said he'll return back north after his playing days like most other players do. Most other players don't get offered a coaching position (if it happened) so they have nothing to hang around for do they? Though if he does return to QLD that'll mean his NRL coaching options will be with either Bronco's, Tits or the Cows or he could also settle for a channel 9 commentary spot if that's what his aspirations are. Given those options which may or may not be available i think a Storm coaching spot (again if it became available) wouln't be such an unnatractive option after all.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Ice wrote:
J-Storm wrote:I have no Earthly idea where ppl are getting the idea that Cameron will take over from Bellamy (if he stays beyond this season). Cameron has stated numerous times that once he has finished playing for the Storm, he & Barb & the kidlets will move back to Brisbane, which stands to reason seeing their families are there.

While i totally understand where you're coming from, maybe, just maybe if the opportunity came along where he could coach the club where he played his entire career, a club he's been with since he was a kid (in football terms) and a club he so obviously holds so dearly to his heart he might just entertain the idea of one day taking the reigns of it? Serious question here, do you honestly think that's not a perfectly feasible scenario?

I mean Bellyache was signed sealed and delivered to return to Brisbane to be with his family and the club he started his coaching career at (even Locky said as much) and what happened there? he signed up for another 4 or 5 years with us.

Not every great player has the coaching credentials and smarts to move into the role but every man and his dog knows that Cameron Smith has the footballing brain to take that position and especially after learning from the master so why do you think he wouldn't even entertain the idea of doing it at the club for the reasons mentioned above? Of course family is a great motivator but the last time i saw there's numerous flights to Brisbane daily and while time might be limited during the season there's still plenty of opportunities just like there has been for countless players/coaches over the years who go interstate or even OS to ply their trade.

He may or may not take over but it would be fairly naive to say he wouldn't just because he's said he'll return back north after his playing days like most other players do. Most other players don't get offered a coaching position (if it happened) so they have nothing to hang around for do they? Though if he does return to QLD that'll mean his NRL coaching options will be with either Bronco's, Tits or the Cows or he could also settle for a channel 9 commentary spot if that's what his aspirations are. Given those options which may or may not be available i think a Storm coaching spot (again if it became available) wouln't be such an unnatractive option after all.
Yep. not much more to say really :)
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

If anything, Cam will be on the inaugural coaching staff of the Brisbane Bombers...
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Expansion won't be happening until at least[/i ]2017 and even then it's not guaranteed to happen. Knowing the NRL i won't be holding my breath either. Anyway lets just enjoy him running around each week as a player for hopefully several years to come and worry about his next move after that.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well today's the big day. 21st Jan he's supposed to make his announcement isn't he?
Lets hope it's a favourable one for us.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

routy21 wrote:I don't know if its bullsh*t or not but I was told today by someone who is close to the Dragons that Bellamy to St George in 2014 is a done deal and will be announced on the 21st of Jan.

So please don't shoot the messenger... its just what I was told. Personally, I hope its a load of cr@p.
I hope it isn`t announced today then we know that this is twaddle and he will be staying with MY CHAMPION TEAM.
if it is then I think he will be gone. :( :(