Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy poised to sign

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

The Warriors should've signed up Kearney when they had the chance.
If Craig was to leave Storm I doubt he'd go to the Warriors. I bet he hardly sees much of his family now, let alone from NZ.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

( With my hands over my ears)lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalal) I do not want to hear any more rumours that CB is going.I am still enjoying winning the 2012 PREMIERSHIP.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Still no getting my hopes up that his staying but it looking better
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Door open for Bellamy in NZ for 2014

Craig Bellamy's manager John Fordham has refused to close the door on the Melbourne premiership-winning coach heading to New Zealand to take charge of the Warriors from the 2014 NRL season.

Fordham met with Bellamy this week to discuss the Storm coach's future, with his current deal expiring at the end of 2013.

"We've already had a discussion this week in Sydney. There's no hurry because he's got another year to go," Fordham told AAP.

"It would be fair to say there are options for Craig when he concludes his current contract in 2013."

Asked if one of those options was in New Zealand Fordham said:

"Those matters are private. All I'm saying is he's coaching at Melbourne in 2013 and he hasn't committed to any club beyond 2013 at this stage," he said.

"He's going overseas next week for two weeks, so there's no decision on what he will be doing beyond seeing out his current contract at the end of 2013."

It was reported by News Limited that Bellamy knocked back an offer for a multi-million dollar deal to join the Warriors who wanted him to start in 2013.

"The Warriors have got a coach vacancy from next year. Well, Craig is not available next year," Fordham said.

"You can't reject something you can't do."

The news from the Bellamy camp came after Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah on Wednesday declined to comment on reports claiming the coach would join the 2011 grand finalists after honouring the final year of his Storm contract, during which time the Auckland club would hire a caretaker coach.

Scurrah said the naming of a replacement for coach Brian McClennan, who was axed in August, was imminent with the appointment to be revealed "within the next week".

The Warriors have been in the hunt for a coach since dumping the former Kiwi Test mentor less than a year into a two-year contract

It followed a disastrous campaign that saw the club miss the finals and finish third-last on the ladder.

A number of names have been linked with the position, including Bellamy's Melbourne assistant David Kidwell, ex-Penrith and Canberra mentor Matthew Elliott and Australian Test coach Tim Sheens, who was axed by Wests Tigers last month.

Tony Iro, who was the Warriors caretaker coach after McClennan was sacked, is interested in keeping the role and said he was still waiting to hear from Scurrah.

"I've gone through the interview process like some other coaches and we'll wait and see. The story changes every 24 hours," Iro said.

Melbourne fullback Billy Slater said he had no idea what Bellamy's plans for the future were.

"He's there next year and we never look too far down the track as a club," Slater said before Kangaroos training in Townsville on Wednesday.

Kidwell was previously seen as a frontrunner for the job, but withdrew amid speculation he was unhappy with the amount of time available to prepare for the 2013 season.

http://www.nrl.com/warriors-coy-on-bell ... fault.aspx
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

and now this........

Warriors set to name coach - It's not Bellamy.

THE new Warriors coach is set to be named within days, and may ultimately know exactly how Steven Bradbury felt, given the number of candidates who have fallen before him.

Premiership-winning coach Craig Bellamy will not break his contract with Melbourne to join the Warriors next year, despite the Auckland-based club offering him more than $1 million a season to do so. That much is now clear.

And with the Warriors likely to appoint a coach for more than one season, it is now highly unlikely that Bellamy will switch to the club in 2014, despite recent speculation otherwise. Who will switch is set to be revealed soon.

Chief executive Wayne Scurrah said he expected to announce an appointment ''within the next week''. The Herald understands it is likely to occur by the end of this week. ''I can't name a day but we're not far away,'' Scurrah said.
Advertisement

That is despite the withdrawals of David Kidwell and Stephen Kearney recently. Kidwell, Bellamy's assistant, is understood to have grown frustrated by the protracted delays in the Warriors finalising a deal.

Bellamy remains the subject of interest from other NRL clubs - one of which is believed to be St George Illawarra - even if it appears more likely he will remain at Melbourne. The Warriors had been keen to entice Bellamy away from Melbourne a year before his contract was due to end. But Bellamy, who has coached the Storm since 2003, did not consider that option, even though he remains undecided about where he will coach from 2014.

On Sunday, Bellamy is due to depart on a fact-finding tour of Europe, and it is highly unlikely a decision will be made before he leaves. His agent, John Fordham, said leaving the Storm early had never been a consideration.

''There's never been any discussion whatsoever with Melbourne Storm about not being there in 2013,'' Fordham said. ''It's never been discussed.

''Unlike some people in the game, we honour contracts.''

Billy Slater joined Melbourne teammates in saying Bellamy had earned the right to move on in 2014 if that was his choice.

''For starters, he's there next year,'' he said. ''We never look too far down the track as a club. Other than that, everyone goes through contract negotiations - whether you're a player or a coach.

''Craig's done so much, not just for us a club but me as an individual as well. We fully respect his decision no matter what he comes up with.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... z28vZXaTJy
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Heard on radio this morning that Craig's completely rejected the whole idea of coaching Warriors altogether.

I'm pretty confident he'll stay with us
madstorm
Squall
Squall

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/matt-e ... 6493632304

Not that contracts seem to mean much to the Warriors, but Elliott signed for 2 years.
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

madstorm wrote:http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/matt-e ... 6493632304

Not that contracts seem to mean much to the Warriors, but Elliott signed for 2 years.

All it means is that he will get 2 years pay...not necessarily service....LOL
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
TC
Site Manager
Site Manager

Go Storm wrote:Heard on radio this morning that Craig's completely rejected the whole idea of coaching Warriors altogether.
The Warriors don't have a great record of honouring contracts - their own or anyone elses'.
We must all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Couldn't happen to a better club!

But let me get this straight.

Cleary leaves the Warriors for the Panthers.
The Panthers therefore sack Matt Elliott to make room for Cleary.
Then to top it off, the Warriors think its a good idea to replace Cleary (via McClennan) with Elliott.
Umm hello, there is a reason Elliott got the sack you know! And let's not start on his impressive 0-7 finals record.

The Warriors management is a joke, always has been. I remember when Daniel Anderson left, everybody was complaining that he was to hard on the players. and what did they expect Bellamy to do? Present the playing group with a box of chocolates and roses before each training session.

Lol enjoy your time down in the cellar. I feel sorry for the fans because their management has stuffed up the selection process for appointing a coach. They've mucked around and look where it's got them.

They need Gallop, I heard he's quick to make decisions! :lol:
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Craig probably strung 'em along deliberately. Bastards have been our bogey side for years. There's some revenge for last year's prelim final: pack of cheating mongrels.
At least we won't have to worry about facing them again in the finals for a couple of years. LOL
Nice one Craig!!!
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well with Elliot at the warriors helm they won`t be beating the Storm in a hurry.Elliot has NEVER had any success against a Craig Bellamy coached CHAMPION TEAM.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Warriors are a shambles, a reason their season was a disaster could have been because the ARLC got rid of their best mate Mr. McIntyre (remember '08 & '11 finals anyone??). People say they are out bogey team - we beat them twice this year and have a 16 win, 2 draw, 13 loss record over them, how in the world does that make them our bogey side?

The problem with them is that they haven't had a hard-ass coach in their entire history. All the players have never been put into line by a coach of the calibre of Bellyache, Bennett and Dessie. I like Matthew Elliot as a person seems like a nice bloke, but that's the problem - he's not tough. No wonder he has never defeated Craig Bellamy while coaching Canberra and Penrith.

Another problem is that they now have no 5/8. I don't blame James Maloney for leaving, he probably knew what was going to happen to the Warriors when he signed for the Roosters more than a year before he was going there. They have a one-hit wonder for a halfback who can't stand up when the pressure is on and a giant winger who thinks the ball is a cake of soap.

I can see the Warriors being in the wilderness for a few years to come.
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

mattstormy wrote:The Warriors are a shambles, a reason their season was a disaster could have been because the ARLC got rid of their best mate Mr. McIntyre (remember '08 & '11 finals anyone??). People say they are out bogey team - we beat them twice this year and have a 16 win, 2 draw, 13 loss record over them, how in the world does that make them our bogey side?

The problem with them is that they haven't had a hard-ass coach in their entire history. All the players have never been put into line by a coach of the calibre of Bellyache, Bennett and Dessie. I like Matthew Elliot as a person seems like a nice bloke, but that's the problem - he's not tough. No wonder he has never defeated Craig Bellamy while coaching Canberra and Penrith.

Another problem is that they now have no 5/8. I don't blame James Maloney for leaving, he probably knew what was going to happen to the Warriors when he signed for the Roosters more than a year before he was going there. They have a one-hit wonder for a halfback who can't stand up when the pressure is on and a giant winger who thinks the ball is a cake of soap.

I can see the Warriors being in the wilderness for a few years to come.

I think their halves next year will be Johnson and Thomas Leuluai
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

As far as I know it I think their squad is fine. If Bellyache had've taken them on for 2013 they'd have won the comp. As it stands however, I reckon they'll be happy if they don't get the spoon.