Storm Player of the Year

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

With two rounds to go, I would have to say that this is one of the hardest years to pick our best player.
I think it could go a number of ways:

Cam Smith: Was outstanding early and has again been in great form late in the season.

Cooper Cronk: My gut feeling is that this will be the year that Coops finally gets there, he's been solid all year with very few games where he hasn't been one of our best.

Billy Slater: Has missed a large chunk of the season, but, will probably go out to an early lead due to his great early season form and try-scoring efforts. Has come back and done well, may just be enough to get him home.

Ryan Hoffman: My smoky, he's been very solid on that left edge and had some outstanding games too. While I doubt he will snare enough votes to win, it wouldn't totally shock me either (it is worth noting though, that the only player who could be classed as a back rower who has won our player of the year award was Hinchy in 2010 and that was more as a bench utility, lock, back-up hooker).

And the others who could poll well but won't win it are Chambers, Ryles, Hinchcliffe and Lowrie.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

hoffman for me.

i didn't like the idea of him coming back, but he has been unreal! the big 3 are brilliant and get noticed by everyone, but hoffman has been consistent all year
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Coops for me. The only time he was poor was during the five game losing streak but otherwise he has been terrific. I would have said Billy after the first four rounds but he dropped off a bit and then got injured so I doubt he will get it. Cam is always a chance (due to winning it four times previously), as is Hoffy (I never thought he would come back and play like he did in '06-'07, but he's been the most consistent performer this year R4 onwards - the first three rounds he was trying to get back to form and struggled a bit).

I reckon a real dark horse might have a sneaky chance at winning it this year though, maybe Will Chambers (who scored 10 tries in 9 games before his illness), Ryan Hinchcliffe (who won it in 2010 and has continued his good form), or even Todd Lowrie (who had a great run of form in the middle of the season and has been relatively good for the rest of the season).
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Hard to see an outside back getting it, barring fullbacks obviously as they get involved in the play, as they just don't have enough involvement compared to others.
BIG JIM
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I think they should make the presentation evening more reasonable with the pricing structure very expensive.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Smithy or Coops would probably be favourites, but Hoffman and Ryles definitely in with a chance. Smithy and Coops have both missed a game or two, and have both had at least one off game each. From my recollection Rylsey hasn't missed a game and has led from the front with every run in every game.
My vote for MSPOTY 2012 goes to Jason Ryles.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Go Storm wrote: From my recollection Rylsey hasn't missed a game and has led from the front with every run in every game.
My vote for MSPOTY 2012 goes to Jason Ryles.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Ryles has missed only one game this year, which was in Round 1. I forgot to mention him as a chance to win it at pretty good odds.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Cameron Smith, showed what he meant to the team when he was out

[ Post made via Android ] Image
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cameron Smith is my pick. Champion leader.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Gareth Widdop

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

Jason Ryles for me, with Ryan Hoffman a very close second, followed in third place by Will Chambers.

Oh, and Quinny to go out with a clubman award :)
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Ryan Hinchcliffe for me
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

It will be Smith he has been great all season...Billy second then Cronk third.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Cam Smith is by far our most talented player, and our most valuable asset when it comes to winning games. The bulk of his efforts go unnoticed by many. His clever use of tired off-side opposition players as 'shields' to gain easy metres from dummy half, amazing early count kicking game, deft passes off the hip to running backs, sheer strength to break out of tackles, endurance to play 80minutes whilst making 40+ tackles and gaining metres in attack, and to command the troops to stick to the gameplan no matter what the scoreline.

However, without the forwards laying a solid platform and repelling the opposition's attack none of the above can be achieved. Not even by Smith.
Our comparatively small pack of forwards do an amazing job against some monsterously large blokes each week, and deserve the recognition for their efforts in doing this.
Leading the charge is Ryles, Norrie and Bromwich. Relentlessly putting their bodies on the line to soak up the big hitups and make the big tackles, each of which zaps the energy from the oppositions big men which allows our more mobile forwards to create the field position needed for Smithy and the backs to do their magic.
It's been a long time since we've had a prop capable of making the big tackles and calculated off-loads which Ryles has been doing for us. His efforts have been invaluable, without which I doubt we'd be anywhere near the position we are this season.

Front rowers rarely get the recognition they deserve. I hope Jason Ryles gets his.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jstephens
Squall
Squall

Cooper is my pick for Dally M, even though many are saying Barba is a certainty. When voting closed he was a whole 6 or 7 votes ahead of Barba and that was only 10 rounds ago.

However, often the Storm Player of the Year award does not reflect on the Dally M votes as such (i.e Billy winning Dally M last year and Cam winning player of the year for Storm, and same goes in 2010 when Hinchy won Player of the Year yet was 3rd or 4th for Storm in Dally M). In saying this, I think it will be a close one between either Lowrie, Ryles and the Ferrari, but I think Lowrie will take it out. Norrie is my dark-horse.