Why don't we kick more field goals???

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I know we kicked one against the Broncos on Friday night, but in the club's history we have only kicked 20 field goals in 15 seasons. That is not very much, considering a player like Jamie Soward has kicked 20 in his career since 2007 and Chris Sandow has kicked 16 in his career since 2008. I know a field goal only one point, but the one point can be extremely helpful in tight games and we have lost games in the past by not going for the one point (I remember the Storm didn't even kick a single field goal from R18, 1999-R26, 2004).

Here is a list of all the field goals the Storm has kicked in it's history (got this from RL Tables and Stats) (also, I've listed the stadium names as the traditional, original or names people can refer to without not being able to know what they are):

1. R13, 1998 vs Balmain at Leichhardt Oval (Brett Kimmorley) (Final Score: Melbourne 25-Balmain 16)
2. R16, 1998 vs Auckland at Olympic Park (Brett Kimmorley) (Final Score: Melbourne 21-Auckland 24) (funnily enough, this was the first game I ever went to)
3. R17, 1999 vs Manly at Brookvale Oval (Brett Kimmorley) (Final Score: Melbourne 19-Manly 18)
4. FW1, 2004 vs Brisbane at Lang Park (Matt Orford) (Final Score: Melbourne 31-Brisbane 14)
5. R17, 2005 vs Canterbury at Sydney Showground (Matt Orford) (Final Score: Melbourne 33-Canterbury 6)
6. R19, 2005 vs Brisbane at Lang Park (Matt Orford) (Final Score: Melbourne 15-Brisbane 28)
7. R12, 2006 vs Penrith at Olympic Park (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 17-Penrith 16)
8. R21, 2007 vs Cronulla at Shark Park (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 17-Cronulla 16)
9. R6, 2008 vs Canberra at Bruce Stadium Canberra (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 23-Canberra 16)
10. R11, 2008 vs South Sydney at Grahame Park Gosford (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 15-South Sydney 10)
11. FW1, 2008 vs Warriors at Olympic Park (Greg Inglis) (Final Score: Melbourne 15-Warriors 18)
12. R1, 2009 vs St. George Illawarra at Olympic Park (Greg Inglis) (Final Score: Melbourne 17-St. George Illawarra 16)
13. GF, 2009 vs Parramatta at Stadium Australia (Greg Inglis) (Final Score: Melbourne 23-Parramatta 16)
14. R4, 2010 vs St. George Illawarra at Docklands (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 17-St. George Illawarra 4)
15. R10, 2010 vs Canberra at Bruce Stadium Canberra (Brett Finch) (Final Score: Melbourne 17-Canberra 6)
16. R12, 2010 vs Canterbury at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium (Brett Finch) (Final Score: Melbourne 23-Canterbury 12)
17. R6, 2011 vs Penrith at Penrith Football Stadium (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 25-Penrith 10)
18. R9, 2011 vs Brisbane at Lang Park (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 29-Brisbane 22)
19. R14, 2011 vs Sydney Roosters at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium (Gareth Widdop) (Final Score: Melbourne 21-Sydney Roosters 4)
20. R24, 2012 vs Brisbane at Lang Park (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 19-Brisbane 18)
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Very interesting Mattstormy. I love the use of grounds names at the times, as opposed to current names. And I'm surprised we never kicked one at Colonial Stadium or Telstra Dome.

They definately slow my heart rate in tight games, but that could also give players a false sense of confidence.
Look at the Bunnies last night, they thought they had the game wrapped up 1pt up with about 5 to play in a tight low scoring game. The Sharks scored on 2 occasions after that.
Coops and G have shown their ability recently enough, and I wouldn't doubt if Cam and Billy could strike one also. Very handy if a game ever came down to golden point

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
blazza18
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Really ? We are worried about not kicking field goals ? Really ? Really ? I don't see the point...sorry.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Go Storm wrote:Very interesting Mattstormy. I love the use of grounds names at the times, as opposed to current names. And I'm surprised we never kicked one at Colonial Stadium or Telstra Dome.

They definately slow my heart rate in tight games, but that could also give players a false sense of confidence.
Look at the Bunnies last night, they thought they had the game wrapped up 1pt up with about 5 to play in a tight low scoring game. The Sharks scored on 2 occasions after that.
Coops and G have shown their ability recently enough, and I wouldn't doubt if Cam and Billy could strike one also. Very handy if a game ever came down to golden point

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Go Storm, there was one at Telstra Dome.

14. R4, 2010 vs St. George Illawarra at Docklands (Cooper Cronk) (Final Score: Melbourne 17-St. George Illawarra 4)
KimmorleyKiller
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I could have sworn I've seen Cronk pop one against New Zealand before...
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Here's a brief list of a few other players that have had attempts at field goals but missed:

Matt Geyer (if I can recall it was the R6, 2002 game vs the Dragons at Olympic Park)
Steve Turner (Zappa had a shot in R12, 2006 vs Panthers at Olympic Park before Cronk kicked the winning goal in golden point)
Cam Smith (has had numerous attempts at the one point but missed them all)

That's all I can name for now, but can anyone else name a few other players that never kicked a field goal but had a shot and missed?
storm_rhinos
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Perhaps due to the fact that iin the last 10 years we have won most games by a mile, why kick 1pt when we are 10-20 ahead? Its only needed when your either 6pts up and want to run the clock down to be sure of points, or when level scores, or in the last seconds before half time with no attcking options. Any other time its pretty much wasted