Round 22 vs Titans

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Quinney does offer us a bit of go forward when he runs the ball straight and takes some big hit ups. These plays help to give the forwards a break and help centre the ball to create a more structured attack.
His work under the high ball is woeful however, even when he's not pressured he can't catch a ball. Often he knocks on or into touch, or worse taps the ball into the oppositions hands.
His tackling has been average lately too. He's definitely a 2nd rower/utility/centre rather than a winger these days. 3 positions we are very well serviced in.

If Danger can find the form he had earlier in the season he'd be very damaging as his defense is usually very good, and earlier on his attack was dynamite too.
But best option would be an in form Duffie. His few games prior to injury were woeful also.

I'd prefer Quinney to an out-of-form Danger or Duffie any day. The coach knows what he's doing

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Go Storm wrote:
I'd prefer Quinney to an out-of-form Danger or Duffie any day. The coach knows what he's doing

I agree totally
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

Rose Madder wrote:
Go Storm wrote:

I agree totally
out of form 'quinney' is a liability on the wing! no good under the high ball, too slow and not athletic enough. when he dived for the corner last game showed everyone he is not a modern day winger.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Stop this bagging of Quinny, he's a great clubman and he's done a lot of good for the Storm over the last six seasons. Sure he's getting on in age and his form on the wing isn't too flash, but he's doing a better job than Danger. He was great off the bench earlier in the year and he makes terrific metres from dummy half up the middle of the field. Unfortunately when we were short of outside backs, there was no one else to fill the wing spot so Quinny had to go back there. I can see him going back to the bench for the finals when Duffie returns, although I don't know about the other wing spot due to Waqa's inconsistant form. Waqa had one good game so don't go praising him on his novelty performance against the Panthers. You never know how he will go next week. With Duffie, sure he was poor before his injury, but he is always one who performs when the team is going good, so I can see him improving for the finals.

I can't see Danger coming back into the team in a hurry. His defence prior to him being dropped was just as bad as his much maligned attack (which was tolerable early in the season). It was absolutely painful to watch and was downright woeful. I would like him to go to the Warriors now if he could because he has become such a liability and I don't want him anywhere near the team anymore. He is in the Top 5 most overrated centres in the game, how in the world can QLD think he is good enough to play Origin?
scriptyx
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I agree Mattstorm Quinn has been a great player for us in the past..BUT he is not a good backrower either!! He doesnt make good metres infact most denfensive lines push him back....the streght of Quinn is dummy half runs when the defense is retreating and not set..he makes alot of metres from here but this is the function of a winger or centre in the forwards you run into set defence and try and bend them back. He is very very ineffective at doing this. Please watch the sharks game this is a perfect example of him not performing.

he has been a great clubman but i want results. I dont think we should hang on to players past their prime...in saying that atm he is the best replacement on the wing he is better than danger by a mile..which says alot about danger and not alot about Quinn.

Sadly i am actually looking forward to duffie returning..he makes the other 2 look like passengers..now THAT is really saying something...only thing going for duffie is he is young and he will fill out and become much stronger so my criticisms is probably a little unfair because i can see him being one of our greatest wingers over the next 3-4 years.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

I agree that Quinny wouldn't be my first choice winger and as he was playing as a bench utility early in the season so he wasn't Craig's either. He is not as quick as he once was and is definitely out sized and out leaped by most of his opponents. However he is doing a solid enough job. The one major concern I have with Quinny is him under opposition bombs. I am surprised (and was surprised last year) that more teams don't bomb him.

I am also not sure where the SWAT or SWAS (Sisa Waqa Appreciation Team / Squad) went. There used to be so much love for Sisa on the Bai Stand. I like it how people say he has only played one good game, but I think he has been relatively solid for us except for that mare of a game he had on a Monday night at Parramatta last year.

I thought I would compare Waqa and Quinn's stats over the last month since Sisa has been back in the side and Quinny has played on the wing (v Cowboys he played at center) over the same period.

Sisa Waqa
Match Runs Metres Gained Tries Try Assists Tackle Breaks Tackles Missed Tackles Offloads Line Breaks Errors
Rd 19 v Cowboys 14 91 0 0 3 8 1 1 0 0
Rd 20 v Eels 14 126 0 0 0 7 0 2 0 2
Rd 21 v Dragons 12 93 0 0 2 6 2 2 1 1
Rd 22 v Panthers 11 160 2 1 4 8 1 1 2 1
Total 51 470 2 1 9 29 4 6 3 4
Average 12.75 117.5 0.5 0.25 2.25 7.25 1 1.5 0.75 1

Anthony Quinn
Match Runs Metres Gained Tries Try Assists Tackle Breaks Tackles Missed Tackles Offloads Line Breaks Errors
Rd 19 v Cowboys 15 127 1 0 7 28 2 3 1 0
Rd 20 v Eels 11 104 0 0 4 5 1 0 0 0
Rd 21 v Dragons 14 131 0 0 6 7 0 0 1 0
Rd 22 v Panthers 8 81 0 0 1 9 1 0 0 3
Total 48 443 1 0 18 49 4 3 2 3
Average 12 110.75 0.25 0 4.5 12.25 1 0.75 0.5 0.75

The table does not line up very well, so I will provide a summary.
Average Runs per game - similar (Waqa 12.75, Quinn 12)
Avge Metres Gained per game - Waqa slightly in front (Waqa 117.5, Quinn 110.75)
Avge tries per game - similar (Waqa 0.5, Quinn 0.25)
One try assist for Waqa in 4 games none for Quinn
Avge tackle breaks per game - Quinn ahead (Quinn 4.5, Waqa 2.25)
Avge tackles per game - Quinn ahead (Quinn 12.25, Waqa 7.25) (if you excludes Quinn's 28 tackles when he played at Centre (as you have to do more defensive work at centre) he averages 7 per game on wing similar to Waqa)
Avge missed tackles per game - the same (1 each)
Avge offloads - similar (Waqa 1, Quinn 0.75)
Avge linebreaks - similar (Waqa 0.75, Quinn 0.5)
Avge errors - similar (Quinn 0.75, Waqa 1)

So all in all their statistics are relatively similar. When Duffie is fit I would drop Quinn back to bench as a utility, he provided us with some good impact off the bench earlier in the year particularly in defence. I also would prefer to keep Waqa at wing because he is more likely to diffuse opposition bombs because of his leap and also more likely to provide a contest for attacking bombs as he did to help set up Hinchy's try v Dragons. Although the second concern is lessened with O'Neill playing at Centre next to Quinn.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Another reason to play Waqa at wing ahead of Quinn when Duffie returns is that Waqa will be at the Storm in 2013 and Quinn is unlikely to be.
waveydavey
Squall
Squall

mattstormy wrote:Stop this bagging of Quinny, he's a great clubman and he's done a lot of good for the Storm over the last six seasons. Sure he's getting on in age and his form on the wing isn't too flash, but he's doing a better job than Danger. He was great off the bench earlier in the year and he makes terrific metres from dummy half up the middle of the field. Unfortunately when we were short of outside backs, there was no one else to fill the wing spot so Quinny had to go back there. I can see him going back to the bench for the finals when Duffie returns, although I don't know about the other wing spot due to Waqa's inconsistant form.
Scooter wrote:I agree that Quinny wouldn't be my first choice winger and as he was playing as a bench utility early in the season so he wasn't Craig's either. He is not as quick as he once was and is definitely out sized and out leaped by most of his opponents. However he is doing a solid enough job. The one major concern I have with Quinny is him under opposition bombs. I am surprised (and was surprised last year) that more teams don't bomb him.
I agree with both of these statements, and since we are posting stats thought I'd get in on the act :)

These are individual player season defensive stats from http://www.nrl.com/telstrapremiership/p ... fault.aspx Like Scooter said, sorry they don't line up very well.

Played Tackles Missed tackles Errors
Quinn 18 181 19 12
Duffie 17 101 30 11
Waqa 5 37 6 4
Neilson 17 265 22 9
Chambers 12 194 25 5
O’Neill 16 166 49 23
Blair 4 79 9 4
Slater 14 75 19 26

On the basis of the stats, wouldn't you agree that Quinn's defence stacks up reasonably well when compared with the other outside backs?? I only threw Billy in the show that even Billy is human!! LOL :)

I'll come right out and say it, I like what Quinn offers the Storm off the bench. No he shouldn't be a first choice winger anymore, unless he is neededto be (like now). No he's not likely to run 90m and score a try, he's not likely to run15-20m and score a try as the majority of our plays go down the right!! He is very suspect under the high ball, but so are Waqa and Duffie, still, 12 errors in 18 games surely isn't enough to hang him out to dry?? If it is I guess we need to hang Duffie and O'Neill out with him - no, because they offer something more in attack.

While I'm feeling bold, here's another statement, I've made it before on this forum, I have faith in Craig Bellamy to put all the pieces together and put out the best team on the day. Afterall, he has a bit more experience coaching in the NRL than me!! :) The majority of us only see the players on match day, he sees them each every day they are at work, do you think he might just have insight into which players best fit the team at any given time, and which players, although on the fringe of making their debut, are not quite ready to be thrown into NRL action at this late stage of the season? I'll admit I've not seen some of the fringe players mentioned here, Fonua, Harris, etc., or the NYC team, I don't get to the ground early enough to watch these games. I believe from all accounts that some of them are absolutely brilliant, and I look forward to seeing them make their debuts next year, not 4 rounds out from the finals (unless forced through injury). I would much rather play players with finals experience and with 50, 100, 150. 200+ games under their belt - Quinn fits this description.

I want to win the premiership this year (and every other year (oh, and I for one still want our premierships back!! :-D), and you can bet your last dollar that so do Bellamy and the players. So here's a thought, and I've seen it mentioned a few time through many of these threads, so it's not original, instead of constantly bagging individual players, the coach or the team, how about we all get behind them, and support the "whole" of the Melbourne Storm RLC, but especially the 17 that make it onto the pitch on match day whoever they may be. I know I will.

Rant over :)
Ice
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Great post mate.
Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

waveydavey wrote:

I want to win the premiership this year (and every other year (oh, and I for one still want our premierships back!! :-D), and you can bet your last dollar that so do Bellamy and the players. So here's a thought, and I've seen it mentioned a few time through many of these threads, so it's not original, instead of constantly bagging individual players, the coach or the team, how about we all get behind them, and support the "whole" of the Melbourne Storm RLC, but especially the 17 that make it onto the pitch on match day whoever they may be. I know I will.

Sounds good to me
bula
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

On Quinn, I really like what he offers from the bench and as a replacement forward late in halves.
He makes some quality runs from dummy half and is a pretty solid tackler.
I think Waqa lacks confidence. When he was running away from Josh Mansour, he could have scooted underneath the posts but he didnt really back his speed. In defense he makes some pretty good decisions at times but then is caught in two minds most the time. Has been solid as of late though imo.
Duffie doesnt offer much from dummy-half and his tackling is so ineffective sometimes but I know he's a special player and our long term winger. If he can slap on a few more kilos he'd be really effective out of dummy half and wouldnt be a bad choice at centre.

I think we're pretty solid all round but one thing I've been screaming for is more grunt!! We need a dominating forward.
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

Rose Madder wrote:
waveydavey wrote:

Sounds good to me
Me too..GO STORM "whoever pulls on the jersey"
I am sure they all try hard and I would like to thank them ALL for their efforts.
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

justin Oneil is in doubt with a groin injury, Dane Neilson is on standby to replace him - according to the late mail

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
toe
Weather Forecaster
Weather Forecaster

Let's hope that's not true as Nielsen up against Idris doesn't bode well!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

We played so well last week without Danger, and we obviously didn't miss him. If Danger plays and he doesn't perform this week, I'm sorry to say that I think this is his last chance and he may never pull on a Storm jersey again.