Round 20 - Melbourne Storm v Parramatta Eels

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
absentee
Monsoon
Monsoon

nexttime wrote:I'm a storm member but just had to have $50 on Parramatta today at $4.50. Made a cool $200 so the loss doesn't feel as bad.
I somehow doubt that you're a Storm member.
The Mauritian
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Well Im not as angry as everyone else. You have to give Parra credit their defensive line was straight and fast all night. things will click Its good to have Chambers back he was strong. Sisa was very good tonight. He got some nice balls back that almost resulted in tries. Cronk was ordinary again. Slater back in the team will make a massive difference both in defence and attack.
DEFENCE: He marshalls the defensive line, constantly barking instructions to defenders. Widdop can't do that, and Widdop does not have the positioning of Billy.
ATTACK: Every play out wide in their 20m tonight I was waiting for the Smith...to Cronk...to Slater.....TRY. But instead it was going to Neilsen & others with none of the acceleration Billy brings. I think we have all underestimated how important he is to our team because he is hardly ever injured. Without Smith and Slater we get thrashed, without just Slater we lose close ones. With Slater and Smith and its back to winning. These two players take up most of our salary cap and rightly so without them we are pretty stock standard.
Thank god Widdop will be at 5/8 next week without him Cronk has struggled. Quinn has to be replaced with Fonua but I know Bellamy won't drop him he loves him.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nexttime wrote:Wow our points differential is now worse than the Bulldogs so we are actually 2 wins off the top.
We are one point behind Bulldogs in points difference as if that is worth one game. I can not see the Bulldogs going undefeated between now and end of Home and Away season given they have won 7 in a row, it would be tough for them to stay up for thirteen games. Plus Kasiaon and Keating I assume will be out so there goes some of the stability of their team.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nexttime wrote:
stormy wrote:It was great to see Will Chambers back.What a bonus for us.he has time to settle back into the team and when Billy comes back next week I think the team will start working on their game.
I don't think Slater will play again this year and to be honest I can't see where our next win will come from, if it will at all
0/10 try again scrub
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

You know what nexttime - I was nearly killed in a car accident yesterday so what happened to my boys today is a mere drop in the ocean. I wish you would go play on the train tracks - hey but then again you know what you don't bother me anymore. To my team I will always follow you through the highs n lows
glennb
Monsoon
Monsoon

Well said mystormyboys. In the bigger look of live losing rugby games does not relly matter. But it does make you feel good when the win!!! Hope you are alright.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

nexttime wrote:How is Manly going Dreary?

N.B.
The following post is written to an obvious troll who does not support
Melbourne,where as i am a opposition fan who is honest and upfront
with my Manly fandom and here to discuss football (NRL) with supporters
of an ARCH RIVAL team as equals as i believe your club is our biggest threat
and greatest asset (As in someone to beat that we hate)

Good actually,im proud of last night and we'll only improve with Stewart
back in place of the next Matt Cooper,much like Melbourne will recover
once Slater makes his return

Hows your team not being premiers for the last im guessing since
atleast 2005 going for you kid??

I'm always proud when we are premiers! You might know that pride
one day but i don't think its for atleast another (28+5=33 average retirement age)
5 years as both Manly and Melbourne will continue to dominate the inscription
room on the trophy for those years much to the despair of fans of other sides who
are not one of these 2,which includes you RobertuzNexttime unfortunately
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Cherry_Poppins wrote:

N.B.
The following post is written to an obvious troll who does not support
Melbourne,where as i am a opposition fan who is honest and upfront
with my Manly fandom and here to discuss football (NRL) with supporters
of an ARCH RIVAL team as equals as i believe your club is our biggest threat
and greatest asset (As in someone to beat that we hate)

Good actually,im proud of last night and we'll only improve with Stewart
back in place of the next Matt Cooper,much like Melbourne will recover
once Slater makes his return

Hows your team not being premiers for the last im guessing since
atleast 2005 going for you kid??

I'm always proud when we are premiers! You might know that pride
one day but i don't think its for atleast another (28+5=33 average retirement age)
5 years as both Manly and Melbourne will continue to dominate the inscription
room on the trophy for those years much to the despair of fans of other sides who
are not one of these 2,which includes you RobertuzNexttime unfortunately
Well said Cherry_Poppins.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The season is starting to fall off the rails. Four straight losses is just inexcusable. Billy being injured has nothing to do with the fact the attacking display over the last few weeks has been dreadful.

Cronk's kicking game is absolutely woeful lately, I know he is a star player but once the team starts to struggle he really doesn't have a clue what to do. Cam tries his hardest to direct the team from dummy half but can't take a trick. I thought Rory stepped up tonight, scored a great try at the end of the first half and was the only real highlight for the Storm. Nielsen, just go to the Warriors now, you were terrible yet again and I can't bear to watch his stuttering runs and misreads in defence anymore. Quinn needs to go back into the forwards, Waqa did better this week but wasn't to flash. Widdop tried hard again but can't seem to be able to threaten to bust the line at fullback.

The forwards were terrible tonight. Fa'aoso was average, Bromwich just keeps dropping the ball, Manu is a shadow of the player he once was, Lowrie is back to his old self and not performing, Proctor looks unfit, Hoffy scored the final try but was quiet all night, Hinchy was quiet. The only forward to make any impact tonight was Ryles and he is 33 years old.

The only real good thing to come out of tonight was the return of Will Chambers. I hope after a few more games he finally finds some attacking rhythm in the backline once again.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote:
Cherry_Poppins wrote:
Well said Cherry_Poppins.
Thanks

Sorry if i stepped over the line with any actual storm fans/mods but
i HATE trolls,i think they are the bane of the internet....i do occasionally
get accused of it around here but i think thats expectation of what i'd be
being confused with what i really am

Head up guys seasons not over yet,for either of us
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

losing a game isn`t the end of the world.I am still a very proud and loud Storm member.It is good to have some opposition supporters on here to have some good banter with.
wasteoftime you should stop your trolling and just declare who you really support and show your support for your team.
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

The reason our attack is disjointed is because we miss Widdop at 6. The reason our defence is disjointed is because we miss slater at 1.
I really do think that Craig's experiment of covering the fullback position at the expense of the 5/8 position has been a mistake.
Hopefully next week Bill will be back, but if he is missing from our side again I think Widdop should remain at 6. As good as Widdop is at fullback, he is no Billy Slater. We have a couple of backs who can do an average job at fullback, we only have one who can do a sterling job at 5/8.
Great to see Chambers back. He was awesome before his medical condition was detected, and he was solid tonight. Great for him personally and for the team.
Next week we will see a completely different Storm with the return of our 1 & 6.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

mattstormy wrote:The season is starting to fall off the rails. Four straight losses is just inexcusable. Billy being injured has nothing to do with the fact the attacking display over the last few weeks has been dreadful.

Cronk's kicking game is absolutely woeful lately, I know he is a star player but once the team starts to struggle he really doesn't have a clue what to do. Cam tries his hardest to direct the team from dummy half but can't take a trick. I thought Rory stepped up tonight, scored a great try at the end of the first half and was the only real highlight for the Storm. Nielsen, just go to the Warriors now, you were terrible yet again and I can't bear to watch his stuttering runs and misreads in defence anymore. Quinn needs to go back into the forwards, Waqa did better this week but wasn't to flash. Widdop tried hard again but can't seem to be able to threaten to bust the line at fullback.

The forwards were terrible tonight. Fa'aoso was average, Bromwich just keeps dropping the ball, Manu is a shadow of the player he once was, Lowrie is back to his old self and not performing, Proctor looks unfit, Hoffy scored the final try but was quiet all night, Hinchy was quiet. The only forward to make any impact tonight was Ryles and he is 33 years old.

The only real good thing to come out of tonight was the return of Will Chambers. I hope after a few more games he finally finds some attacking rhythm in the backline once again.
Utter crap.
Surandy
Site Manager
Site Manager

Okay, watched the game at my local club so had no sound. Left me with lots and lots of questions.

Why was Hoffy called as held up over the line on the last tackle in the first half when replay showed that he had grounded the ball? Should've been a try.

Why was Storm not given a penalty when Widdop lost the ball backwards on the last tackle near our line and was tackled without the ball thus denying any opportunity to try and get up to regather the ball? Shortly after Eels got a try.

Why was the ball handed over after the last to Parramatta when they let the ball bounce on our kick on the last near their line and after it bounced they then knocked it on?

Aside from the refs, why did the Storm frequently have no support players when our forwards were actually making metres? I lost count of the number of times Hoffy took the ball up to the line and was looking to flick pass the ball to a waiting Storm player but there was noone within cooee of him? I know Slater normally would be there but surely SOMEONE should have been there!

We really had very little in attack even though we were making good metres all night.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

well we lost but really if you think about it we are still second with 5 losses...all our losses have come at the same time instead of thoughout the year...stop going on about like its the end of the world its not...we were just unlucky tonight...let the boys finally TRAIN as a team without having missing players and we will get billy back in two weeks and we can play maybe better with him...all is not lost YET

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image