Will Will Will Billy

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
bushman
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

Will Will be back soon and play a part in our run to the finials and will Billy play in our next home game or should we keep him of the field untill we know that knee is as good as gold even if we drop a game or two. I would think that Will ifhe is comming back should be back about four rounds from the finials and Billy another three weeks or so any thourghts?
simo
Monsoon
Monsoon

yes he will be back soon, and yes he will play a part in the finals and no.. he will be right to play.. no need to rest him,
the staff will have his knee strapped im sure.. sooner he gets back the better.. Im happy if he
plays for QLD if he is truly fit and able.. if not so be it..
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

he will play
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

If he's fit i challenge you to try to stop him. He's possibly the most competitive player in the competition. It takes a lot to keep him down. Just look at State of origin 2.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
staticash
Squall
Squall

Anyone heard how chambers is going?

S.W.A.S
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

nothing
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

staticash wrote:Anyone heard how chambers is going?

Personally i suspect his season is over,the real thing to hope for is that
this affliction isn't career ending for the poor bloke,nobody should go
out like that
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/nrl/b ... 6407100052

Billy Slater attempts to prove his fitness for Origin

BILLY Slater will this morning attempt to prove his fitness for Origin III with a running drill in Melbourne.
But with his most potent attacking weapon risking further damage to his knee injury, Storm coach Craig Bellamy has pleaded for "common sense to prevail" in the Queensland selection room.

Melbourne medicos confirmed today's fitness test would determine Slater's ability to run at pace and change direction - just 12 days after he suffered a posterior cruciate tear in Origin II.

The initial 4-6 week recovery diagnosis ruled him out of next Wednesday's decider, but daily physio sessions and a cortisone injection have given Slater hope he can recover in time.Melbourne Storm physio Kieran Morgan said Slater's performance at AAMI Park would determine whether he is named tomorrow.

"We need to test the functionality and whether he can run at pace and change direction," Morgan said.

When asked about Slater being selected, Bellamy was cautious. "There's a bit of an opinion that if he does (play for Queensland), he could do long-term damage," he said.

"That's got to be taken into account and hopefully common sense will prevail."

Shifting Greg Inglis to fullback or recalling Matt Bowen remain Queensland's primary options, despite Ben Barba's dynamic performance for the Bulldogs in Mackay yesterday
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 6408350839

Origin doubt Billy Slater says he is ready to go

A "POSITIVE" Billy Slater has given Queensland coach Mal Meninga and an entire state more than a glimmer of hope that he will be fit to play in tomorrow week's Origin decider against NSW at Suncorp Stadium.
Slater will be named today in what is expected to be a 20-man squad, which also will include Cowboys fullback Matt Bowen as insurance on a couple of fronts, and Broncos forward Ben Te'o as a new interchange option.

Lock Ashley Harrison was ruled out yesterday with a fractured toe and his starting place is set to fall to Broncos workhorse Corey Parker.

If Slater succumbs to his posterior cruciate injury, Meninga is set to move Greg Inglis from centre to fullback with Storm star Dane Nielsen to return to Origin duty in the centres.Doubts also surround Queensland centre Justin Hodges (ribs) and second-rower Sam Thaiday (shoulder), while prop Matt Scott will not the join the team until Thursday at the earliest, with his mother Diane's funeral to take place at Ilfracombe tomorrow.

Slater tested his suspect knee early yesterday under the supervision of Storm physio Kieran Morgan.

Meninga spoke to Slater soon after and liked what he heard.

Asked if Slater was keen to play, Meninga replied: "Absolutely. He's positive. So we'll just make sure we do the right thing by the Melbourne club as well, and we'll monitor him through the week."

Queensland go into camp on the Sunshine Coast today, but Slater is likely to remain in Melbourne under the supervision of the Storm medical staff, with a final call to be made on Friday.

Meninga said he had lots of options if Slater was ruled out.

"It just adds to the mire of trying to come up with the right decision," he said. "Matty Bowen has been there before, and (Bulldogs fullback) Ben Barba has been in camp as 19th man.

"Obviously Greg Inglis is playing fullback for Souths and going great. We just have to make the right decision for the benefit of the team. There's a few things we need to sift through."

It shapes as the most confusing Origin preparation for some time, and it's fair to say Meninga and his support staff do not know what team will take the field.

Former Queensland captain Darren Lockyer said there was no risk in selecting Inglis.

"But it's about putting someone in the centres who will do as good a job as Greg," he said.

"Nielsen is a player who is very solid in defence and that's important at this level.

"There are a few guys with injuries and they will do what is best for the team. If they think they are the weak link and they can't do the job, they won't be playing."

Bowen and Te'o's selections opens up the prospect of a new-look bench, with Matt Gillett and Dave Taylor most at risk of dropping out of the 17.

If Hodges' ribs played up, Inglis would remain in the centres, with Bowen to start at fullback.

Te'o left Broncos HQ 45 minutes before training yesterday and could not stop grinning when asked if he had been picked for Queensland.

Likely Queensland squad: Billy Slater; Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate; Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk; Matt Scott, Cameron Smith (c), Petero Civoniceva, Nate Myles, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker; Matt Gillett, Dave Taylor, Ben Hannant, David Shillington, Dane Nielsen, Ben Te'o, Matt Bowen.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/n ... 6408327551

Billy Slater's State of Origin hopes up and running

THE first Queensland card fell yesterday when Ashley Harrison's broken toe forced him out of next week's State of Origin series decider.
Now it's a waiting game to see if Billy Slater will be the second.

Queensland coach Mal Meninga is expected to name Slater (knee) today in a squad of 20 players, who will gather at Coolum on the Sunshine Coast.

It is understood Slater's club Melbourne doesn't want Slater to risk further injury, but the Storm will let its star fullback decide in conjunction with Maroons officials.

Dane Nielsen will be named as a cover for both Greg Inglis, if he has to move to fullback, or for Justin Hodges (rib) in the centres.

North Queensland pocket dynamo Matt Bowen will also be named on an extended bench today along with Brisbane backrower Ben Te'o.

The Auckland-born 25-year-old who has played for the Junior Kiwis pledged his allegiance to Queensland last year and will be cover for Sam Thaiday (shoulder) and Corey Parker (shin, nose).

Parker will most likely be named as Harrison's replacement.

Canterbury fullback Ben Barba is likely to miss out due to the fact the game is a decider and not a dead rubber. As dangerous as the Bulldogs fullback is, the risk of throwing him into the Origin cauldron was deemed too great.

While all the talk for the past fortnight has been around Slater, the loss of Harrison will be keenly felt. He has played 14 matches and is considered the team's quiet achiever, just as workaholic lock Gary Larson was during the 1990s.

"I was prepared to do anything required to get myself on the field on Wednesday," Harrison said yesterday, having considered a needle on game night, or wearing supportive padding.

"If it was any other toe I could have managed it. But the big toe is too important. And there was too much risk of further damage if I did play. The wisest thing to do was to withdraw. I'm still very disappointed."

Adding to that is the fact Harrison cannot play in Petero Civoniceva's 33rd and final Origin match before 52,500 fans at Suncorp Stadium.

The pair were teammates at the Broncos during their 2000 premiership season.

"That's another thing I'm going to miss out on that I really wanted to be a part of," Harrison said.

"I played with Petero at the Broncos and would have liked to have been part of another winning series for his departure".

Civoniceva told The Australian he would be fit despite having two bloodied and broken noses in his past two games.

"My nose is just a little wider now," he said.

His front-row partner Matt Scott will be named, although he won't arrive in camp until after the funeral for his mother, Dianne, who died last week from cancer.

The service will be held in the family's home town of Ilfracombe tomorrow. Queensland five-eighth and co-captain with Scott at the Cowboys, Johnathan Thurston, will seek permission to leave camp to attend.

North Queensland chief executive Peter Jourdain, football manager Peter Parr, head coach Neil Henry and a number of Cowboys players will also attend.
Cherry_Poppins
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Worst thing about Queenslanders in an NRL team is they are Queenslanders first and foremost then whatever club they are second, the club with New South Welshmen club always comes first with origin second, that's the difference between NSW and QLD, even the Queensland fans believe origin means more than a premiership, let the baby have its bottle I say

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

lets hope common sense does prevail
staticash
Squall
Squall

Cherry I am a qlder and if I had to choose between state of origin series win or premiereship I would choose premiereship any day. I hope slater doesn't play,this is our year we NEED him fit for the back end of the season!!

S.W.A.S
Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

Why haven't they mentioned O'Neil as a bolter for Hodges? Hodgo shouldn't play, fit or not. He's overrated IMO and has underperformed in origin 1&2.
Inglis will be awesome at fullback, and with Neilson and O'Neil in the centres, with Boyd and Tate outside of them, that's an awesome backline.
GI, Danger and Juzzie are all very familiar with Coops and Smith's plays too so would gel together immediately I reckon.

I hope Billy only plays if he is 100% right

Go Storm
Monsoon
Monsoon

And Cherry_Poppins you are way off the mark regarding NSWelshman.
Just look at guys like Gallen and Willie Mason.

Gallen rested himself for Origin 1&2. Mason used to do it all the time, injured for dogs and play a blinder for Blues. Hayne does it to a degree too, he holds himself back at club level and then fires for NSW.

Slater would risk everything to win an egg and spoon race at his daughters sports carnival he's so competitive I reckon.