Replacements for Big 3 against Wests Tigers in R14

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I know it's a few weeks away yet, but given that it is Origin time for the next seven-eight weeks and there will be one game without Cam, Billy and Coops (and possibly Danger and/or Juzzy), what would be the strongest team to defeat Wests Tigers in Round 14?

This is my predicted line-up:

1. Gareth Widdop (C) (fullback is his second position and has to play there, also Bellyache should name him captain so he can get a chance to step up to another level)
2. Matt Duffie
3. Dane Nielsen/Mahe Fonua (only if Danger is selected for QLD)
4. Will Chambers
5. Justin O'Neill/Anthony Quinn (only if Juzzy is selected for QLD)
6. Rory Kostjasyn (played a bit of five-eighth last year when Coops was missing, with Gaz playing halfback)
7. Luke Kelly (I hope he gets a run and if there is any game he is to play this year, R14 is it)
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Ryan Hinchcliffe (time and time again does a great job when Cam is missing due to Origin)
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Todd Lowrie

14. Sika Manu (should be back from injury by R14)
15. Jaiman Lowe
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Jason Ryles
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

1. Justin O'Neill
2. Matt Duffie
3. Dane Nielsen
4. Will Chambers
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Maurice Blair
7. Gareth Widdop
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Ryan Hinchcliffe
10. Bryan Norrie
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Todd Lowrie

14. Rory Kostjasyn
15. Sika Manu
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Jason Ryles
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

I would love to see kelly finally get a go.
Well seeing how widdop is struggling with his kicking ( against a couple of teams this year when his got a kick in, his kicked it out on the full ) .He just doesnt have a good boot on him, needs to practise alot more on his on field kicking. His a good goalkicker imo.
We'll need a good organising half for this game and someone that can put a good kick in when under pressure.. Kelly has a good kicking game and would be a good option for the halves, 5/8 or halfback?
thats what i think anyway.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Inglis#3
Monsoon
Monsoon

Bobby Blair & Widdop killed it in the halves last year when the Origin boys were away which I think was against the Roosters. Think they got the 3 and 2 Dally M points respectively.
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

if Lukey gets a game finally i think ill cry...ill make a sign and eveything

sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

apparently Hoffy is out for a month after doing his calf in the game yesterday

storm boy !
Squall
Squall

also i read somewhere that nielson has an ankle injury ( nrl.com i think ), hurt it in the last minutes of the sharks game or something. Dont know how bad though?

nacho
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

realistically quinn will get the nod before fonua.

id like to see gareth stay at 5/8 because he's still finding his groove. put in kelly at 7 to keep some continuity.
Monsoon
Monsoon

1. Justin O'Neill
2. Matt Duffie
3. Dane Nielsen
4. Will Chambers
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Luke Kelly
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Ryan Hinchcliffe
10. Jason Ryles
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Sika Manu
13. Todd Lowrie

14. Rory Kostjasyn
15. Tohu Harris
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Mitch Garbutt
stormy
Monsoon
Monsoon

I am not panicking about our replacements for soo time as I remember we won all of our 3 games last season (which no-one gave us any hope of doing)without our BIG 3.We still have Craig Bellamy coaching our champion team.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

1999 wrote:1. Justin O'Neill
2. Matt Duffie
3. Dane Nielsen
4. Will Chambers
5. Anthony Quinn
6. Gareth Widdop
7. Luke Kelly
8. Jesse Bromwich
9. Ryan Hinchcliffe
10. Jason Ryles
11. Kevin Proctor
12. Sika Manu
13. Todd Lowrie

14. Rory Kostjasyn
15. Tohu Harris
16. Siosaia Vave
17. Mitch Garbutt
I'm surprised i'm not the only one who thinks Bryan Norrie shouldn't be in the team (I only named him in the team I posted in my first comment because Bellyache is surely going to keep picking him). He's not doesn't look big enough to be a starting prop in this day and age. Other props like Ryles and Vave have made him look better than what he is. His form hasn't been up to first grade standards this year (he looks like a powderpuff out there the way gets absolutely smashed at times by the opposition defence and I always shudder before he hits the ball up that he is going to get a massive shoulder charge placed on him (remember Timana Tahu's hit on him last year at Penrith). The rate he's going, I don't want him re-signed 2013 onwards. If we are to recruit veteran props, we need them to be at least 110kg (Jason Ryles is a perfect example of a big prop as he is 115kg+. I don't know what Norrie weighs, but he certainly doesn't look over 105kg). As much as I admire Craig Bellamy, he has had a number of favourite players over the years he keeps praising due to their underdog 'saved from the scrapheap' status who would not get a game at other clubs.
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I think Colin Best or Luke Burt should replace Norrie.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

stormy wrote:I am not panicking about our replacements for soo time as I remember we won all of our 3 games last season (which no-one gave us any hope of doing)without our BIG 3.We still have Craig Bellamy coaching our champion team.
Stormy we only played one game v Roosters without our Big 3 during Origin last year. The other two weeks we would have been without them we had a bye.

As for Bryan Norrie, I think he has been good for the Storm up until the end of last year. However, I agree I think he has struggled this year. But I prefer him in the side over Jaiman Lowe. It would be good to see Garbutt or Greenfield get a run.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Scooter wrote:
stormy wrote:I am not panicking about our replacements for soo time as I remember we won all of our 3 games last season (which no-one gave us any hope of doing)without our BIG 3.We still have Craig Bellamy coaching our champion team.
Stormy we only played one game v Roosters without our Big 3 during Origin last year. The other two weeks we would have been without them we had a bye.

As for Bryan Norrie, I think he has been good for the Storm up until the end of last year. However, I agree I think he has struggled this year. But I prefer him in the side over Jaiman Lowe. It would be good to see Garbutt or Greenfield get a run.
I agree, we have so much young talent in the U20s and also recruiting Garbutt and Vave to give us some size. We were constantly told we needed big forwards last year yet Bellyache persists with the likes of Norrie (he reminds me of Rodney Howe in 2004 - always selected in front of better props). I'm all for recruiting old props, but we only need one (I like the idea of Ryles as a starting prop and send Norrie back to the NSW Cup, then put the young props on the bench).

As for Jaiman Lowe, well I think he won't get many more games this year (barring injuries and the Wests Tigers game). His time at the club looks to be coming to an end.
coupy73
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

I've been one of Norrie's biggest fans over the last couple of years but agree that he seems to be off the pace a little this season.
Would like to see Lowe given a bit of a run as he started slowly last year but hit stride later in the year.
don't know much about the youngsters but would be good to see at least one of them in the 17 during origin to give them a run.

I would leave Widdop at 5/8 and and give Kelly a go at half, I think he deserves a shot, just for waiting in the wings the past 2 or 3 years.

I'm sure Craig know what he is doing though.