Kearney back to Storm ????

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
Storm Spirit
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Just posing a hypothetical out of interest.

If Mooks is marched over at Parradoesntmatta....should Storm look to bring him back into the fold.

Once you've bled purple...surely you're part of the purple family for life.

Would it work or would if be too many assistant coaches ??

Maybe a new role ?

He'd be great for a fwd pack obviously.

For the record...it would be sad for him if those scumbags treated him so poorly and gave him his marching orders.
Remember this day, men, for it will be yours for all time
Lucas
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

I'd love to have him back as an assistant. Totally Beller's call though.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Ummmm....why? Unless he wanted to do a Steve Folkes and be an assistant again for a few years before having another crack at steering the ship.

What is happening at Parra is NOT indicative of Mook's ability. Their recruiters, football department and front office need to take most of the blame. Paying 650k a year for a halfback who plays one good game a year (and does fark all else besides one impressive shoulder charge every once in a while) and having loyalty to washed up blokes like Burt and Hindmarsh and problem children like Reni Maitua has a lot to do with it as well.

The coach can only do the best he can with what he is given to work with. Parra are a rabble but its not all the fault of the coach....

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] Image
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I don't think so, he's done his time here and we already have very good assistants in Kevin Walters and David Kidwell. Also, I think his coaching career is headed for the scrap heap. He is far too soft in his press conferences (after a big loss he looks like he's happy) and the way he has handled the Parra squad is very poor (he is wanting to shaft club legends Hindy and Luke Burt). I know Bellyache is a master coach, but his former apprentices (even Michael Maguire won't last at Souths) just don't seem to be up to the task as NRL head coaches.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Also, the only reason Kearney won a world cup with NZ in 2008 was because Wayne Bennett was his assistant.
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattstormy; I reckon its a bit harsh to say he wants to shaft them but come on, Hindmarsh is well past his best and Luke Burt is as well. And parra have been wanting to get rid of the latter well before Kearney flagged him as part of the clean out.

mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:Mattstormy; I reckon its a bit harsh to say he wants to shaft them but come on, Hindmarsh is well past his best and Luke Burt is as well. And parra have been wanting to get rid of the latter well before Kearney flagged him as part of the clean out.

Burt would do well at the Storm I reckon though, since Cam's goal kicking has gone well below his 2011 standards of about 83% (he's on about 59% this year so far and seems to be struggling with the easier kicks as well - he probably will improve his % as the season goes on). In saying that though, is the old school style winger (smaller more reliable and versatile) a dying breed in rugby league these days?

I also saw Hindy commentating on the sideline today, I wonder if he's calling it quits soon to take up a Fox Sports job?
LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Old school winger. Kerry Boustead (the second best player to come from Innisfail) fits that mould...maybe Matt Utai as well. In the modern game, the "old school" player IS a dying breed because the GAME has changed. Second rowers have to run like centres and centres have to be built like second rowers. Props have to be more athletic and mobile and the role of the fullback is forever changed thanks to the brilliance of D. Lockyer. The type of player evolves as the game changes... and in Luke Burt's case he has been playing first grade since 1999 (I still remember him being hailed as ET Mark II). Parra have chosen loyalty over blooding new players. Is it any wonder they have underachieved consistently since 1996?

LESStar58
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

As for Hindy, I'm sure he's contracted to Nine...

Rose Madder
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

mattstormy wrote:
LESStar58 wrote:Mattstormy; I reckon its a bit harsh to say he wants to shaft them but come on, Hindmarsh is well past his best and Luke Burt is as well. And parra have been wanting to get rid of the latter well before Kearney flagged him as part of the clean out.

Burt would do well at the Storm I reckon though, since Cam's goal kicking has gone well below his 2011 standards of about 83% (he's on about 59% this year so far and seems to be struggling with the easier kicks as well - he probably will improve his % as the season goes on). In saying that though, is the old school style winger (smaller more reliable and versatile) a dying breed in rugby league these days?

I also saw Hindy commentating on the sideline today, I wonder if he's calling it quits soon to take up a Fox Sports job?
We won't need the likes of Luke Burt to be kicking goals for us,if Cam is not up for the job ..there is always Matt McGann coming through from Toyota cup squad
Chip
Hail Storm
Hail Storm

mattstormy wrote:Also, the only reason Kearney won a world cup with NZ in 2008 was because Wayne Bennett was his assistant.

This post & your one before sound like the stuff they say on LU about Steve kearney but to me they're just opinions & based on no real knowledge of his coaching ability or lack of. Don't get caught up in their talk mattstormy.
Steve kearney is a new head coach & he's learning the hard way - he may make it, he may not, but he has to find that out for himself without all the deathriders. Parramatta may well not be the best club to cut your teeth on :o
I hope he succeeds...sometimes nice guys win don't they? :-\
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Chip wrote:
mattstormy wrote:Also, the only reason Kearney won a world cup with NZ in 2008 was because Wayne Bennett was his assistant.

This post & your one before sound like the stuff they say on LU about Steve kearney but to me they're just opinions & based on no real knowledge of his coaching ability or lack of. Don't get caught up in their talk mattstormy.
Steve kearney is a new head coach & he's learning the hard way - he may make it, he may not, but he has to find that out for himself without all the deathriders. Parramatta may well not be the best club to cut your teeth on :o
I hope he succeeds...sometimes nice guys win don't they? :-\
The problem is that these days, NRL coaching is a ruthless business. Coaches of struggling clubs are given performance deadlines at the start of the season. Some last the journey but some don't. I can see the latter happening to Kearney. He lacks emotion (especially in press conferences, where he is smiling and upbeat after a big loss). Some people can judge coaches on how they appear in the media, and that seems to be what is happening to Kearney.

I also think his recruiting over the last two seasons has sent Parra backwards (he recruited washed up old has-beens in Chris Hicks, Chris Walker and Paul Whatuira last year) and what seemed was going to be the biggest signing of the year in Chris "Shoulder Charge" Sandow is turning out to be an epic fail. Playing Jarryd Hayne when he was no where near fit to play after his knee injury has also been costly. As I mentioned above, wanting to shaft loyal club servants in Hindy and Burt when they are probably the best performing players for the rabble that is Parra is surprising also.
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

LESStar58 wrote:Old school winger. Kerry Boustead (the second best player to come from Innisfail) fits that mould...maybe Matt Utai as well.
Another few that come to mind are ex-Storm players Marcus Bai, Matt Geyer, Fifita Moala, Steve Turner, Anthony Quinn and Luke MacDougall.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

wouldn't mind him in the back row like back in his prime though lol
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Oh and Mattstormy, Quinn is a current Storm player not an ex player