2013 Official Thread + Signing news

Discussion on anything to do with Melbourne Storm - games, players, rumours - anything!
sallymay
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 1y92w.html

MELBOURNE will focus for now on retention rather than recruitment after the club lost an outside back but held on to another yesterday.

Justin O'Neill's re-signing for another two seasons was tempered by the loss of Queensland State of Origin representative Dane Nielsen, who will switch to the Warriors on a three-year deal.

While the Storm wanted to keep Nielsen, they also understood the 26-year-old could have earned more from his last contract elsewhere and that salary cap pressures made it impossible for the club to match other offers this year

The Storm are also in the same position with Sika Manu. While officials say the departure of Nielsen may in fact help the club in its attempts to re-sign the Kiwi, they also realise they will struggle to hold on to him, with interest coming from up to six Sydney clubs.

Knowing that O'Neill, who scored a hat-trick against Penrith on Saturday night, could slot into the centres next season, replacing Nielsen, the Storm are likely to make their front row a priority now. Only one of their NRL front-rowers, Jesse Bromwich, is signed long term.

The club did re-sign youngster Tohu Harris and will now look to shore up the likes of Bryan Norrie, who has an option in his favour for next year, as well as Siosaia Vave, Michael Greenfield and Jaiman Lowe. The club will also decide whether to give Jason Ryles another season.

The Storm have had a high turnover in the front-row in recent seasons, with coach Craig Bellamy generally targeting more experienced players, but club officials now want some stability.
Asked about the prospect of holding on to Manu, who is out injured with an ankle problem, Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said: ''We'll give it a shot.''

Manu told the Herald last week he wanted to stay at the club, but he also understood the salary cap restraints might make it difficult for the Storm to match offers from elsewhere.

''We know the chances of keeping an entire squad together are impossible in the modern game,'' Ponissi said. ''But we'll be looking to retain who we've got now.''

Elsewhere, Sydney Roosters continued their own retention drive by announcing the re-signing of second-rower Aidan Guerra, a former Melbourne player himself.

Guerra will remain at the Roosters at least until 2015 after signing a three-year extension.

''I've already been at the Roosters for three years and I'm really happy here,'' ,'' the 24-year-old said. ''I've made some great friends and learnt a lot and that's a big part of the reason I really wanted to stay at the club.''

That announcement came on the back of the Roosters announcing last Friday that fullback Anthony Minichiello would prolong his career with the club into next year.
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

sounds to me like both sika and the club know he is leaving. might just be playing games with the other clubs to drive his price up
mattstormy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

The Storm should make Vave and Garbutt high priority re-signings and say goodbye to Norrie (been good for us, but time to move on), Greenfield (injury prone) and Lowe (getting very little opportunities in first grade this year), while at the same time assess Jason Ryles' future with the club.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

The Australian says we are more likely to be able to keep Sika since Danger has gone
Woody
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

I still haven`t managed to see Garbutt play but everything Ive heard sounds promising. As for Vave, I would like to think he is a definite priority.
With the older guys, I`d love to see Norrie and Ryles go around again next year if they`re up to it. I think their input and effort this year has been fantastic. As a left field option, there is noise around about the Bunnies looking to get rid of Asotasi. I know he`s had he`s injuries but Id love to see what Bellamy could do with him.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

So our side for next year is looking like:

1.Slater
2.Duffie
3.Chambers
4.O'Niell
5.?
6.Widdop
7.Cronk
8.J.Bromwich
9.Smith
10.?
11.Proctor
12.Hoffman
13.Hinchcliffe
14.Harris?
15.?
16.?
17.?

Definitely gone:
Nielsen

Out of contract this year:
Blair, Lowe, Lowrie, Manu, Quinn, Ryles, Garbutt, vave

Option in player's favour:
Norrie, Waqa? (thought he signed for 2)

Unsure:
K.Bromwich, Kostjasyn, Greenfield, Fonua, Griffin, Moylan, McLean

Others:
Kelly
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

Would Love to see Dane Gagai from the broncos!

He would look good on the wing next year. He's a junior kangaroo rep and in my opinion, the most talented of the donkeys young backs eg Copley, Beale, Yow Yeh and Hoffman.

They released him today due to undisclosed reasons after extending his contract for a further 2 years only 2 weeks ago.

He'd be cheap and he's only 21 with a hell of a lot of potential.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Freshy wrote:Would Love to see Dane Gagai from the broncos!

He would look good on the wing next year. He's a junior kangaroo rep and in my opinion, the most talented of the donkeys young backs eg Copley, Beale, Yow Yeh and Hoffman.

They released him today due to undisclosed reasons after extending his contract for a further 2 years only 2 weeks ago.

He'd be cheap and he's only 21 with a hell of a lot of potential.

Freshy I read somewhere that it was due to a number of minor indiscretions. The straw that broke the camel's back apparently was that he missed a training session for Qld Cup team Redcliffe. If you remember Gagai was mentioned as a possibles straight swap when GI was leaving the Storm and looked like he was going to the Broncos.

Blair, Norrie and Waqa all re-signed at the same time and I thought that they all signed for one year plus an option of one year.
Mattpoet
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Blair, Norrie and Waqa all re-signed at the same time and I thought that they all signed for one year plus an option of one year.
Now that you say it, that does sound like what I remember hearing too, can you remember if they all had the option in their favour - pretty sure Norrie's is.
Scooter
Tropical Cyclone
Tropical Cyclone

Mattpoet wrote:
Now that you say it, that does sound like what I remember hearing too, can you remember if they all had the option in their favour - pretty sure Norrie's is.
Don't remember ever reading anything about whose favour the options were in.
mystormboys
Player Sponsor
Player Sponsor

Norrie does have an option
storm boy !
Squall
Squall

yes gagai.. He would be great for storm on the wing! He's a real speedster, appaprently the fastest at the broncos. He's a talented kid, i agree would be cheap and a excellent buy.

As for the fowrads, vave is by far our biggest priority for the pack. Let go of greendfield ( injurey prone) lowe ( just doesnt get much oppertunities and never really been much a fan of him) .
Garbutt looks better every game, big strong foward.. We should try retain this promising young foward.

And sign up martin taupau!

Theres a strong powerful pack, not to mention harris and proctor in the backrow and maybe (sika) .

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

storm boy ! wrote:yes gagai.. He would be great for storm on the wing! He's a real speedster, appaprently the fastest at the broncos. He's a talented kid, i agree would be cheap and a excellent buy.

As for the fowrads, vave is by far our biggest priority for the pack. Let go of greendfield ( injurey prone) lowe ( just doesnt get much oppertunities and never really been much a fan of him) .
Garbutt looks better every game, big strong foward.. We should try retain this promising young foward.

Theres a strong powerful pack, not to mention harris and proctor in the backrow and maybe (sika) .

storm should sign you up to run the recruitment!
Freshy
Thunderstorm
Thunderstorm

storm boy ! wrote:yes gagai.. He would be great for storm on the wing! He's a real speedster, appaprently the fastest at the broncos. He's a talented kid, i agree would be cheap and a excellent buy.

This one is for you haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsBMWB6cybY

storming
Monsoon
Monsoon

ive seen that before, and i think taupau will be better than kasiano, he just isn't getting a go. ive heard he is very frustrated with getting 18th man for the majority of this year.